iPhone Case That Doubles as an Android Phone Raises $100,000 on Kickstarter

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Something tells me that the inventors are just going to take the funds and run, since this seems like a pretty cringeworthy idea that only a sucker would buy. Maybe this is mildly impressive on a technical level, but why would you go through the trouble of this instead of just buying a separate phone or, better yet (opinion!), dumping the iPhone and going Android.

The end result is a strange Franken-phone, where one side is an iPhone, the other an Android device. Eye shares the speaker, microphone, and cameras of Apple’s device, but otherwise the case is a fully functional standalone device. It’s got two SIM card slots, is expandable by microSD cards, has a 3.5mm headphone jack and IR blaster, and contains its own separate battery and NFC chip. Oh, and it’s got its own screen, a 5-inch AMOLED display. And if this is starting to sound like a spec sheet for an actual Android phone, that’s because it basically is an Android phone. This isn’t running Android on an iPhone. This is duct-taping an Android phone to the back of your iPhone.

I don't understand why this is a thing. If I need two numbers, I'll just buy a phone with dual sim slots.

I don't understand why this is a thing. If I need two numbers, I'll just buy a phone with dual sim slots.
It already has two SIM card slots. You could have three phone numbers!

Perfect for the drug dealer who likes gadgets.

Oculus had to make a deal with Samsung to get AMOLED screens for Rift, thus the GearVR. Where are these guys going to get the screens?

i made a android phone case that doubles as a 64 bit windows computer can i have 100k?

I heard you like phones, so I added a phone to your phone so you can take calls while you take calls.

best of both worlds lol
i wouldnt invest in the kickstarter but would consider it when it hits the store shelves

I assume this is for drug dealers that are afraid that the second SIM could be traced back to them if its used in their primary phone? This would keep it completely separate yet convenient, and you wouldn't as easily confuse if the call is coming through your primary or drug dealer SIM #.

I mean, look at the marketing video, this is clearly catering towards a certain "urban" audience.

Heck, they even call it "the dopest case".

Back