iPhone Apps Making Millionaires

HardOCP News

[H] News
Obviously not everyone selling games for the iPhone is doing as well as this guy, but this is a prime example of how much money can be made off of iPhone users.

Apple's iPhone application store is as crowded as a Beyonce concert, with more than 20,000 apps available. But one independent developer still managed to rake in $600,000 in a single month with a single iPhone game.

"If it weren't for taxes I would be a millionaire right now."
True that, brother.

But seriously I have that iShoot game and the guy deserves it, it's a really well-made game.

As news like this spreads, thousands of developers are jumping on board.

I don't think these apps are worth leaving jobs over, but if you can pull it off, why not?

But seriously I have that iShoot game and the guy deserves it, it's a really well-made game.

Really? $600k for a weekend of writing code in a basement? I guess that would be on the level of somebody making a one-hit-wonder song and raking in millions. I would have to disagree that they deserve that much money. Sorry.

this is exactly why myself and a friend started writing an iPhone app... who knows, it seems the odds are better than the lottery! :D

i'll put a plug in when its finished!

I would have to disagree that they deserve that much money. Sorry.

well....what do you think they "deserve"? Apparently, if you price something right, a lot of people will buy it. Make it fun and cheap, and I think you deserve it.

It isn't like he is a patent troll..they don't deserve *ick

Yeah the 'derserve' thing is really a loaded comments. It's all relative. He doesn't deserve it any more than you deserve the luxury of a living wage job more so than a kid born to a guatemalan crackhead.

The guy made a great game, got lucky & made a small fortune. Congratulations to him.

I love all thise "deserve" bullshit.

The market decided that he "deserved" it because people paid for it. In reality "deserved" has nothing to do with it. If you can mile $600K in a month out of APPL fanbois, then let 'er rip.

I would have to disagree that they deserve that much money. Sorry.

Well I'm glad I don't live in a country where you are the judge of what people deserve.

He made a cool little game for the iPhone, hundreds of thousands of people spent a few bucks to buy it, and got their money's worth. Why do you have a problem with that?

Tell you what, let's take all his money that he earned and, you know, "spread the wealth"... give it to all those poor app developers that didn't do as well as him. I mean, it's not fair that he made a better program and got more money for it.

/sarcasm

well....what do you think they "deserve"? Apparently, if you price something right, a lot of people will buy it. Make it fun and cheap, and I think you deserve it.

It isn't like he is a patent troll..they don't deserve *ick

Cheap is key. I'm sure a lot of people say oh it's only $1 so I'll buy it. Get hundreds of thousands of people to do that and the money adds up quick for you.

I'm not sure I would quit a job after having a one hit wonder like that because that much money is not a lot to retire on. Plus, would I be able to come up with another great idea? But I do enjoy my current job and thse guys may not be in that same position I'd use the money to pay cash for a modest house and stash the rest away for whatever.

Really? $600k for a weekend of writing code in a basement? I guess that would be on the level of somebody making a one-hit-wonder song and raking in millions. I would have to disagree that they deserve that much money. Sorry.
You sound like a perfect candidate for Chávez's new revitalized nation.

<threadpoliticized></endthread>

Sorry, I'm just very amused by how quick that happened.

Tell you what, let's take all his money that he earned and, you know, "spread the wealth"... give it to all those poor app developers that didn't do as well as him. I mean, it's not fair that he made a better program and got more money for it.

Amen

I always find it comical that my self proclaimed Marxist professors won't spread some of the other student's grades to lift up my test score(s) if I don't do well on something.

I always find it comical that my self proclaimed Marxist professors won't spread some of the other student's grades to lift up my test score(s) if I don't do well on something.
What? They don't offer curves!? Those son's of b's...

Well I'm glad I don't live in a country where you are the judge of what people deserve.

I am glad I have the right to decide if I give him money for writing that software. It must suck for you to have somebody else to decide where your money goes. What country do you live in? ugh

He made a cool little game for the iPhone, hundreds of thousands of people spent a few bucks to buy it, and got their money's worth. Why do you have a problem with that?

Who said I have a problem with it? How do you know all of those people think they got their money's worth? Anyhow, that is the problem with most software, you have to pay before you get to see if the "product" was worth your money. If the software sucked, too bad they get to keep your money and make another version for more suckers to give them money. :p

Really? None of your teachers ever graded on a curve? :eek:

A curve doesn't penalize the top scores and give them a lower score while redistributing their points to the have nots.. it only brings up the rest of the lower scores in an adjusted scoring method.

I am glad I have the right to decide if I give him money for writing that software. It must suck for you to have somebody else to decide where your money goes. What country do you live in? ugh

Who said I have a problem with it? How do you know all of those people think they got their money's worth? Anyhow, that is the problem with most software, you have to pay before you get to see if the "product" was worth your money. If the software sucked, too bad they get to keep your money and make another version for more suckers to give them money. :p

Really? None of your teachers ever graded on a curve? :eek:

Careful, you might trip and fall while backpedaling so fast.

I am glad I have the right to decide if I give him money for writing that software. It must suck for you to have somebody else to decide where your money goes.

That's not what you said. You said he didn't deserve that much money from his software.
$600k for a weekend of writing code in a basement?...I would have to disagree that they deserve that much money. Sorry.

Who said I have a problem with it? How do you know all of those people think they got their money's worth? Anyhow, that is the problem with most software, you have to pay before you get to see if the "product" was worth your money. If the software sucked, too bad they get to keep your money and make another version for more suckers to give them money.

He released a lite version first. Straight from the article:
Here's how that helped: Inside iShoot Lite he advertised the $3, full version of iShoot. Users downloaded the free version 2.4 million times. And that led 320,000 satisfied iShoot Lite players to pay for iShoot.

Careful, you might trip and fall while backpedaling so fast.

Not backpedaling, just stating another opinion.

That's not what you said. You said he didn't deserve that much money from his software.

He released a lite version first. Straight from the article:

I said both things. I don't believe he deserved that much money, and I am glad to live in a country where I don't have to give him money. Had I felt he deserved the money, I would have added to his stockpile by buying it. :p Good for him.

Nice try with the flames guys, but I am happy for him to get that much for very little work. It doesn't mean I think he "deserves" it as the other person does. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't believe I "deserve" the money I get paid for what I do. It is unfortunately the world most of us live in. Money is evil.

Not backpedaling, just stating another opinion.

I said both things. I don't believe he deserved that much money, and I am glad to live in a country where I don't have to give him money. Had I felt he deserved the money, I would have added to his stockpile by buying it. :p Good for him.

Nice try with the flames guys, but I am happy for him to get that much for very little work. It doesn't mean I think he "deserves" it as the other person does. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't believe I "deserve" the money I get paid for what I do. It is unfortunately the world most of us live in. Money is evil.

:rolleyes:

There was a free trial of you you fricken dolt!

If I made $600k or such, I'd quit my job too.

By the time that came even close to run out, I'm pretty sure I could secure another job. Until then, I'd relax while people kept buying my garage application.

I'm sure this is happening a lot, what with all these $1 apps being in the Top 10 section. Jewels like iFart and whatnot.

Cheap is key. I'm sure a lot of people say oh it's only $1 so I'll buy it. Get hundreds of thousands of people to do that and the money adds up quick for you.

I'm not sure I would quit a job after having a one hit wonder like that because that much money is not a lot to retire on. Plus, would I be able to come up with another great idea? But I do enjoy my current job and thse guys may not be in that same position I'd use the money to pay cash for a modest house and stash the rest away for whatever.

absolutely, I dont mind buying little 1 dollar apps now and then....maybe even 10 for a great app. So yea if i could develope some of my ideas I definitely would. Go for it

This looks like the style of play of a game I had for my computer called Tank Wars.

Buy weapons, blow shit up, rinse and repeat.... it's fun as hell.

The idea is certainly not new, butt his version looks pretty sweet. If I had an iPhone, I would buy this game.... I can guarantee it lol.

Yes, when Apple allowed third-party applications last year, it opened the door for talented developers to offer their applications. This is a fantastic -- for both the successful developers and for iphone users.

it only brings up the rest of the lower scores in an adjusted scoring method.

Which penalizes those of us that actually did the work. When I pull off a 90 on an exam with a class average of 50 the LAST thing I want to see is the idiots that couldn't cut it have their marks increased. Guess what? I put in the time, I put in the effort, I earned the mark. Achieving a 90% in a course with a 50% average is a hell of a lot more then achieving a 90% in a course with a 65% average, so yes, you are taking something away from the intelligent people when you curve or redistribute the marks in any way that raises the mean, median, or mode towards my mark. All the whiners who can't cut it should be finding a new program, not getting free marks.

I know... that's how it works. Nobody is taking points away from you though, which was my whole point.

Which penalizes those of us that actually did the work. When I pull off a 90 on an exam with a class average of 50 the LAST thing I want to see is the idiots that couldn't cut it have their marks increased. Guess what? I put in the time, I put in the effort, I earned the mark. Achieving a 90% in a course with a 50% average is a hell of a lot more then achieving a 90% in a course with a 65% average, so yes, you are taking something away from the intelligent people when you curve or redistribute the marks in any way that raises the mean, median, or mode towards my mark. All the whiners who can't cut it should be finding a new program, not getting free marks.

Your life is not going to be affected by some failure not failing by as much. Bitch about something worthwhile if your going to put that much effort into explaining your indignant rant to shit that doesn't matter. By even complaining about such a non-issue shows how little you have developed as a person.

For fucks sake, you're bitching about people getting more points, which doesn't affect you one iota other than the fact that you can't raise your nose at those people the 15 points higher you would have had over them. It's pretty sad that all you care about is the difference of points between you and your peers. Just focus on obtaining knowledge instead of being the biggest douchebag you can be.

you are taking something away from the intelligent people when you curve or redistribute the marks

Also, you are the typical lameass arguer for reintroducing an idea back into an argument which was proven to be wrong and non-exist in the first place. Trying to repeat it enough won't make it true or have any more bearing on the topic.

Back