iPhone 8 to Feature All-Glass Casing

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the rumor mill, the iPhone 8 will have an all-glass case. What could possibly go wrong there? I'm afraid to drop a regular phone with a case, not sure how well a glass phone would hold up to dropping. :eek:

We believe one of the reasons why new iPhones will switch from metal casing to glass casing is to support wireless charging. In order to ensure a superior performance, we believe it is most appropriate for EMS suppliers to develop and make the wireless charger because then a comprehensive test can be conducted. As Hon Hai needs to deploy most resources to develop and produce OLED iPhone, we expect Pegatron will be the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger.

I'm sure once they get wireless charging it'll be magical just like all of the other things they're 4 years late on.

Haven't we heard the "all glass style" as rumors for the past many generations.

Just another apple hate thread. Don't we got other things to do?

I swear the anti-apple fanboys are the worse fanboys of them all.

Last edited:

I swear the anti-apple fanboys are worse fanboys of them all.

You underestimate the power of schadenfreude.

You act like the anti-Apple reaction has no basis in reality.

I had an iPhone 3g. Between having to deal with the slow, bloated mess that is iTunes and updates that slowed the phone to a crawl I lost any interest in using their products again.

I'm confused... Samsung has done this for years on the Galaxy, no? My S6 edge is glass front and back.

about as useful as the glass back s7 and ceramic back xiomi, and i dont see why almost everyone throws a case on them anyways

went from an iPhone6 + to an s7 for a week and hated it, back to iPhone 7 plus lol, the s7 is like trying to hold only to a greasy pig with the glass back.. when will they learn

I don't think that the dropping of a phone should be considered in a design.

Designers shouldn't compensate for peoples inability to hold on to or safely transport a device. Use it less, keep it in your pocket or if one is clumsy and prone to dropping things, they need to bear that in mind and take appropriate measures themselves. Carelessness, random events or outright stupidity shouldn't be made something to market to regarding handheld devices. Dropping a phone is indicative of carelessness or over/inappropriate use and that drop resulting in breakage is indicative of inadequate device protection, probably due to some convenience not being met (or an ego thing) in using an adequately protective case.

You want slim, light devices with large displays? Then deal with the perils and trappings of that desire.

Phones are something that everyone carries with them almost everywhere they go now, and its so easy to slip out of a pocket when you sit down, even if you don't have butter fingers.

The risk to dropping is so high, I don't see how that can NOT be a primary design consideration.

Especially since most phones are hardly distinguishable now being big rectangles with a touch-screen, durability can be a major differentiatior.

Granted there are a plethora of aftermarket cases available, but why not design the phone to be durable to begin with?

I don't see much hate in this thread. My knock was not against their device, it's against their advertising. I'd love for Apple to get their heads out of their asses and bring something new to the table, an all glass (or bezel-less) phone could be quite cool.

See, don't misunderstand my comments (and a lot of the people who make jokes against Apple on here) as just being an anti-Apple circlejerk. Apple used to be an innovator in the market, it's why everyone copied them, but they've sat back and become complacent while their marketing tries to spin their lack of forward progress as "magical" or "genius" or "courageous". It's the exact same thing that GoPro is going through - they were the innovators and everyone copied them. But they sat back and now they're adding features that their competitors have had for two years.

Heck, I don't think they'd get made fun of nearly as much if they didn't have these outlandish marketing claims.

Companies need to focus on making phones more durable. It makes no sense to make a phone that's a work of art when everyone has to slap a big, bulky case on it to keep the damn thing from breaking/scratching/bending/denting/shattering.

Phones are something that everyone carries with them almost everywhere they go now, and its so easy to slip out of a pocket when you sit down, even if you don't have butter fingers.

The risk to dropping is so high, I don't see how that can NOT be a primary design consideration.

Especially since most phones are hardly distinguishable now being big rectangles with a touch-screen, durability can be a major differentiatior.

Granted there are a plethora of aftermarket cases available, but why not design the phone to be durable to begin with?

Nothing here refutes anything; it's still carelessness that leads to a drop and you are again just arguing for the design to compensate for this.

Why not design a phone for durability? Because they can't. The current state of technology doesn't allow for the design people want at a price they are willing to pay. So they can either deal with their carelessness, be more careful or deal with a phone that isn't what they want aesthetically .

The poster above asks for an all-glass phone; how can that ever be made durable in the hands of a careless user? Unless you get some NASA-like stuff involved and are willing to pay big bucks, then you either have to accept the phone as a function over form or again, deal with the trappings of the oh-so-elegant alternative. Haven't we moved past the phone-as-a-status-symbol rubbish?

Last edited:
Nothing here refutes anything; it's still carelessness that leads to a drop and you are again just arguing for the design to compensate for this.
You seem to be arguing that humans shouldn't be human. Humans occasionally drop stuff, and the product should be designed for humans.
Why not design a phone for durability? Because they can't.
I haven't done the market research, but from a technical aspect sure they can. Design an exterior chassis out of a rubberized material, at least on the corners, and make it a little thicker to include memory foam or air-cushion dampening and the like.

Essentially, my argument is that all-glass phones are dumb, especially if 99% of people are going to put it in a $5 case anyway. It'd be nicer, speaking for myself, if the chassis was elegantly designed to work well without a cheap case.

Actually, just doing a quick google, it looks like there are now a handful of options, such as the Galaxy S7 Active: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...s7-active-32gb-att-green-camo-sm-g891azgaatt/

That to me is a smart USEFUL design, w/ IP68 certification and rubberized corners and extra-durable screen... but then again, no one ever accused Apple to care more about function over form.

You seem to be arguing that humans shouldn't be human. Humans occasionally drop stuff, and the product should be designed for humans.

I haven't done the market research, but from a technical aspect sure they can. Design an exterior chassis out of a rubberized material, at least on the corners, and make it a little thicker to include memory foam or air-cushion dampening and the like.

No, I'm arguing that humans simply need to deal with the fallout from being human and furthermore deal with the ramifications of what they desire. It is the ubiquity that makes us careless; the fact that it is omnipresent in our hands is the very thing that incurs the penalty of not being mindful with it.

Of course they can design a phone that has the features you describe, so why don't they? Or, if they have, why isn't that model the one that sells the most, the one that everyone seeks out? Because again, people want it all; a 'sexy' glass design and the ability to be inattentive when handling the device. People are impractical and have the wrong values regarding the meaning of the device; it has been marketed as a symbol, some kind of indicator of wealth or intelligence when in fact it's a device made for convenience and light entertainment, not for decoration or bling. As long as people are fed the marketing and eat it up, this problem will persist. A phone could be built that would survive all manner of abuse, but the simple fact is that nobody really wants that; they want thin, light unbreakable glass, cheap.

I agree that all-glass phones are dumb, but only when placed in the hands of an inattentive user or one that will complain to high heaven when the apparently inevitable drop happens due to said inattention.

You act like the anti-Apple reaction has no basis in reality.

I had an iPhone 3g. Between having to deal with the slow, bloated mess that is iTunes and updates that slowed the phone to a crawl I lost any interest in using their products again.

Ha, i have the 7, and need to reset the thing. I cannot on 3 computers because apples shitty update program cannot update itself, automatic or manual, so i can update itunes (which is a clean install, fresh from apples website as of 10am). Hahahaha, their software end has turned into a steaming pile of dung.

Why not design a phone for durability? Because they can't. The current state of technology doesn't allow for the design people want at a price they are willing to pay. So they can either deal with their carelessness, be more careful or deal with a phone that isn't what they want aesthetically .

The poster above asks for an all-glass phone; how can that ever be made durable in the hands of a careless user? Unless you get some NASA-like stuff involved and are willing to pay big bucks, then you either have to accept the phone as a function over form or again, deal with the trappings of the oh-so-elegant alternative. Haven't we moved past the phone-as-a-status-symbol rubbish?

They can't make durable phones? That is an asinine statement. I had a nextel phone i couldn't kill. I mean dropping it down 30 foot manholes and out of trucks all the time.

*blows air in a small lunch bag and sneak behind a person holding new iPhone Glass before slamming the bag with both hands*

Last edited:
They can't make durable phones? That is an asinine statement. I had a nextel phone i couldn't kill. I mean dropping it down 30 foot manholes and out of trucks all the time.

Ok, clarification...they can't make durable phones while maintaining the aesthetic that people seem to want. Down manholes and out of trucks...sounds like something that might happen to someone...once.

Down manholes and out of trucks...sounds like something that might happen to someone...once.
Maybe if you weren't so elitist and stepped outside your social circle for a change, and made friends with some Ninja Turtles, your perspective would change. Don't be on the wrong side of history, man.

Companies need to focus on making phones more durable. It makes no sense to make a phone that's a work of art when everyone has to slap a big, bulky case on it to keep the damn thing from breaking/scratching/bending/denting/shattering.

They'll do that after customers start using durability as an important factor when purchasing phones, which if you look at the trends right now isn't happening. Phones are getting thinner and with larger screens (and thankfully increasing battery life) because those are the things people are buying phones for.

Designers shouldn't compensate for peoples inability to hold on to or safely transport a device. Use it less, keep it in your pocket or if one is clumsy and prone to dropping things, they need to bear that in mind and take appropriate measures themselves. Carelessness, random events or outright stupidity shouldn't be made something to market to regarding handheld devices. Dropping a phone is indicative of carelessness or over/inappropriate use and that drop resulting in breakage is indicative of inadequate device protection, probably due to some convenience not being met (or an ego thing) in using an adequately protective case.

You want slim, light devices with large displays? Then deal with the perils and trappings of that desire.
butt merica is know for its fatness. That comes with tsundere booties. Those things will bend a phone till it breaks.

If that were the case then you would have 10 times dead people from car accidents

Designers and engineers are always incorporating user failure

If you're coding a calculator app then you have to account for user error that someone might type in a letter or the thing crashes

All they have to do is make the gorilla glas thicker instead of thinner every time (talking fractions of mm here)

What am I missing here, Iphones did have glass on both sides then they changed to just the front. I had a iPhone 4 and the back of that was glass. So what is the big deal of them going back to that?

Back