iPhone 5 power button problems

• Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

I am already on my second iPhone due to the power button not working correctly, only the left side works. Now this replacement is starting to do the same thing. Is anyone else having this issue? I really don't want keep having to get it replaced, since I actually bought a pretty expensive screen protector for this one.

My first one lasted about a month if even. I got a replacement around March 10th I think. So ~3 months.

Yes it happens. it is a mechanical switch. Usually happens if you have some shitty case that covers the button causing you to press really hard on it, or you just naturally press too hard/too much.

No problems with my power button, but my lightning connector has gotten really picky about connecting and getting charged. I usually have to wiggle the cable around to get it to make a physical connection. I've had every gen iphone, this is the first one that has given me any problems, but so far, I am not a fan of the new connector.

Yes it happens. it is a mechanical switch. Usually happens if you have some shitty case that covers the button causing you to press really hard on it, or you just naturally press too hard/too much.

Don't have a case, and probably never will. It is kinda lame though that a button that obviously sees tons of use is prone to breaking so easily. I have been getting kinda shitty battery life lately as well, so maybe it's a good idea to get it replaced.

No problems with my power button, but my lightning connector has gotten really picky about connecting and getting charged. I usually have to wiggle the cable around to get it to make a physical connection. I've had every gen iphone, this is the first one that has given me any problems, but so far, I am not a fan of the new connector.
Try cleaning out the port. If you got a dental pick and some compressed(canned) air, try cleaning it out.
Don't have a case, and probably never will. It is kinda lame though that a button that obviously sees tons of use is prone to breaking so easily. I have been getting kinda shitty battery life lately as well, so maybe it's a good idea to get it replaced.

Have your technician at the genius bar run a diagnostic on your old phone before they replace it. Its possible your battery might have failed, but most likely its just bad software.

do you have location based ad's turned off (and i believe "limit tracking" turned on)? When I first got my 5, it was getting horrible battery life. Turning that junk off helped a lot.

As for the button, just have it replaced at an Apple store. I had the same issue and had to get a replacement as well.

Cleaning it wont fix it. What happens is that there is a small amount of epoxy like material that the button rests on that makes contact with the PCB component to signal pressing the button. This material is easily damaged/broken in a certain area causing it to not make contact on the right side of the button.

Mine got damaged from dropping it (from a very small distance... maybe 6 inches) and landing directly on that button, causing it to break. Apple replaced it no questions asked. Now I have a case that has the power button (all the buttons actually) recessed and so far, so good

I had a similar problem. But mine was not a hardware issue. I followed apple toolbox's suggestions (http://appletoolbox.com/2013/04/home-button-not-working-or-unresponsive-fix/) and now it works. If these troubleshooting tips do not help you, you can use your iphone without the home button also via the accessibility features. Just Tap Settings > General and Accessibility > AssistiveTouch (Under “Physical & Motor”) and turh on.

I had a similar problem. But mine was not a hardware issue. I followed apple toolbox's suggestions (http://appletoolbox.com/2013/04/home-button-not-working-or-unresponsive-fix/) and now it works. If these troubleshooting tips do not help you, you can use your iphone without the home button also via the accessibility features. Just Tap Settings > General and Accessibility > AssistiveTouch (Under “Physical & Motor”) and turh on.

The OP has a problem with the power button not the home button.

And either way...paying that much for a phone that is marketed the way the iPhone, he shouldn't have to use that screen button...unless he wants to.

By the way, I'm not trolling, I own an iPhone...that's just how I feel.

And either way...paying that much for a phone that is marketed the way the iPhone, he shouldn't have to use that screen button...unless he wants to.

By the way, I'm not trolling, I own an iPhone...that's just how I feel.

I agree, I mean I "only" paid $200 for it but it's still kinda retarded how easy that power button breaks. This is the second time it has happened now, and both times it started having issues within about a month or 2. At first I thought it was the case, but I haven't used one since I got my replacement. I guess it's always nice to get a new one without any scratches for free though :p

I've had issues with my wife's power button, and my older iPhone 4 had an issue with the volume. Power was easily replaced by Genius bar. Same with volume (which is a 'rocker' switch). Took me longer to take the stupid phones into the store than it did for them to replace the worn parts.

That reminds me, I had some weird ass issue earlier this year. I was charging my phone, listening to music and texting. Randomly the volume would just skyrocket to max and I had to always rip out the ear plugs(Earpods) to stop it, the phone got really hot too at that time. It only happened once or twice after that, but it was kinda odd.

I have also had problems with my Charge port on my Iphone 5. It will sometimes take me about 3x trys to get it to start charging. I have to simply unplug it and plug it back in.

Has anyone had any issues with the touch screen while charging? When i use the charger next to my bed (plugged into the wall) and use the touch screen its like everything has a slight delay.

I have also had problems with my Charge port on my Iphone 5. It will sometimes take me about 3x trys to get it to start charging. I have to simply unplug it and plug it back in.

Has anyone had any issues with the touch screen while charging? When i use the charger next to my bed (plugged into the wall) and use the touch screen its like everything has a slight delay.

Try cleaning out the lightning port. Pocket lint gets stuck in pretty easily.
Also, check for any grounding issues on the outlet you are using.

Re calibrate the home button

Hold the power button until slide to turn off appears then release the power button.

With slide to power off still on the screen hold the home button down until it goes to the home screen.

do you have location based ad's turned off (and i believe "limit tracking" turned on)? When I first got my 5, it was getting horrible battery life. Turning that junk off helped a lot.

As for the button, just have it replaced at an Apple store. I had the same issue and had to get a replacement as well.

Cleaning it wont fix it. What happens is that there is a small amount of epoxy like material that the button rests on that makes contact with the PCB component to signal pressing the button. This material is easily damaged/broken in a certain area causing it to not make contact on the right side of the button.

Mine got damaged from dropping it (from a very small distance... maybe 6 inches) and landing directly on that button, causing it to break. Apple replaced it no questions asked. Now I have a case that has the power button (all the buttons actually) recessed and so far, so good

Thanks for that tip!

Back