iPhone 5 Kills Woman, Apple Investigating

Probably the exposed wire where it joins the connector, bloody atrocious on the old 3GS phones, went through two of them, and the third was coming apart before I switched to Android...Sodding proprietary connectors, I can't see them resolving that problem just because they made the connector smaller.

It takes next to nothing voltage to stop a heart, just gotta be unlucky enough for that to be the path.

It's not the voltage that kills, it's the amperage. You can walk away from a 50,000-volt tasing very easily (not painlessly, of course...;)) Most of the time, anyway.

Guessing short-circuit through sub-standard Chinese wiring not grounded very well that set up some kind of current arc to kill the lady in a freak accident. (Pool of water?) Either that, or a very clever husband with a recent life-Insurance policy change...;) (Nothing to smile about, really.)

This is all going to be very good for apple, first they will find that she was not using an official apple charger and then claim that doing so can cost you your life.

I had to look it up but apparently it is all about current:

Still something had to be grossly wrong (a short somewhere) to send current through her ... we'll have to see what comes out of the investigation but I would be very surprised if this comes back at Apple ... but we'll just have to see what they find out

Yes, it's all about current, but current = voltage/resistance. Current cannot exist without voltage. Using the good old water analogy, you have two large vessels of water, and a pipe at the bottom connecting them. If there's a difference between the two water levels, water will flow, the rate at which water flows depends on the size of the pipes and the difference in the water levels (larger difference = more force to push the water).

Electricity works the same way, the difference in water levels is the voltage, the diameter of the pipe is the resistance, and the current is the current.

So unless you have uber low resistance in your body, you need some voltage to actually drive the current. A standard 1.5V battery can output several amps if you short circuit it (low resistance). So much current will flow it'll heat up a wire and burn you if you aren't careful. BUT, good luck electrocuting yourself to death with one, because the 1.5V is not enough to drive that current through your body which has much higher resistance than a metal wire.

A lot of people here making fun of the womans death and Chinese people. No wonder so many outside of the united states hate the usa. BTW all you haters look around and see that almost everything you own is made by Asians.

A lot of people here making fun of the womans death and Chinese people. No wonder so many outside of the united states hate the usa. BTW all you haters look around and see that almost everything you own is made by Asians.

My slave wasn't made by asians. Why you so waysist?

Oh, I agree which is why I said you would need to aggressively grab it where it would be clenched in your grip ... since a properly functioning charger would only output 5V and 1A to the phone it wouldn't be possible to get electrocuted without getting currently directly from the wall which would likely be in the 240V/15A range (which would have fried the phone if it was receiving that current and voltage) ... so there had to be something funky or she wouldn't have got a phone call (unless I am missing something here) :confused:

Actually you don't need much current to get electrocuted, you just need voltage.
You body resistance is around 50K to 100K ohms (or less if you have wet hands)
This leaves you with just 4ma from a 240 volt circuit, which is enough to stop your heart.

If you had 1 amp flow though your body for even a couple seconds, it would fry most your internal systems.

You know after 2 failed suicides and trying to make sure I don't f-up the 3rd, I make funny of just about anything including me.
Don't really care about color or flags.;)

As a person of Asian descent, I find your post amusing!

I live in SoCal, so everything I eat was made by Mexicans.

Maybe actual force lightning came out of the phone while she was playing Knights of the Old Republic for iOS?

the amount of conditions that would have to be perfect in order for this to occur is like getting struck by lightning, in the same spot, 3 days in a row... and still live to talk about it.

Good reason to have a Plastic Phone then I guess. Samsung got it right, they can still give crappy chargers and not kill the users. LOL

It takes very little current to interrupt heart rhythm, much less than the 1A an iPhone charger outputs.

There could be all kinds of other problems which contributed to her death, like wiring faults (if she touched an appliance which saw her connection as a ground) or using a poorly made 3rd party charger in the worst possible situation.

V = IR

The resistance of the body is high. That 1A is in a phone with very low resistance at 5V. 5V isn't going to do shit to a person.

People say its the current that kills primarily because our electricity sources have fixed regulated voltages and its then going to be amount of current that passes through your body that cooks you and you organs. Starting/stopping a heart is a separate issue. I think that requires a current pulse and not continuous current.

So mostly because the source is fixed at 110 / 220 or maybe 440V in most cases, your total resistance and therefore current are going to be the variable for a given source. For those voltage levels, good enough gloves and you can grab bare wire and not notice anything. But if you grab them bare handed while standing in a salt water puddle, that's a completely different story. What was different, the resistance and therefore current.

Although it is both since voltage is regulated from a given source, its current levels that then become the case to case variable and therefore the reason for the expression.

People say its the current that kills primarily because our electricity sources have fixed regulated voltages and its then going to be amount of current that passes through your body that cooks you and you organs. Starting/stopping a heart is a separate issue. I think that requires a current pulse and not continuous current.

So mostly because the source is fixed at 110 / 220 or maybe 440V in most cases, your total resistance and therefore current are going to be the variable for a given source. For those voltage levels, good enough gloves and you can grab bare wire and not notice anything. But if you grab them bare handed while standing in a salt water puddle, that's a completely different story. What was different, the resistance and therefore current.

Although it is both since voltage is regulated from a given source, its current levels that then become the case to case variable and therefore the reason for the expression.

V = IR !!

:p

If you say current kills, that's equivalent to saying Voltage divided by Resistance kills. ;)

There almost certainly needs to be a defect in either the charger or the wall outlet or both plus some exotic physical circumstances (as others have noted) ... even with a 240V outlet, a properly grounded configuration will not electrocute you ... you would also have to grab your phone rather aggressively as I have touched improperly grounded 240V PC setups and you jerk your hand away damn fast when you get a shock ;)

Unless I have wrong information it depends what kind of current goes through that depends if it will kick you off or suck you in, DC or AC. I dont remember which one was which but one will make your muscles contract and unable move to let go while the other sends you flying. Or in smaller cases makes you jerk your hand away.

A Chinese flight attendant would never have a fake iPhone in, but fake chargers are more common than real ones here and grounding is a joke.

Unless I have wrong information it depends what kind of current goes through that depends if it will kick you off or suck you in, DC or AC. I dont remember which one was which but one will make your muscles contract and unable move to let go while the other sends you flying. Or in smaller cases makes you jerk your hand away.

depends = determines

fuck the lack of edit button

Had to check it. AC consists of positive and negative cycle, and during the negative it repels you, how violently depends on how big the shock is. DC shock is only positive and big enough DC shock makes it impossible for you the "let go" from the source of shock. This is also dangerous to bystanders that may intent to help you, if they just grab you they risk of getting stuck themselves.

Had to check it. AC consists of positive and negative cycle, and during the negative it repels you, how violently depends on how big the shock is. DC shock is only positive and big enough DC shock makes it impossible for you the "let go" from the source of shock. This is also dangerous to bystanders that may intent to help you, if they just grab you they risk of getting stuck themselves.

Yep, that is why in many factories you will see a "Jesus Pole" on the wall ... a wooden stick like a shepherds crook to pull the electrocuting person away without touching them

Both AC and DC are capable of locking your grip which is why I suggested the aggressive grabbing ... an electrical shock causes muscle reaction which is why if you only touch a surface you can sometimes pull away as the muscle jerks and possibly removes you from the circuit ... if you are gripping then the jerk only tightens the grip

According to some details withheld from the story, she jumped out of the bath to answer the phone that was plugged into the charger, so Darwin wins again.

According to some details withheld from the story, she jumped out of the bath to answer the phone that was plugged into the charger, so Darwin wins again.

Yup saw this too, could of been any phone. Lesson learned? Water and electricity is bad!

RIP flight attendant :(.

Back