iPhone 5 faster d/l than 3GS?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I have a 3GS. I am considering iPhone 5. Does anyone know if iPhone 5 will have faster download speeds. I am looking for more responsive, broad band like browsing.

I had always assumed iPhone 5 would use next gen networking capabilities, but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts? Obviously, the phone isn't out yet, but has anyone heard anything?

It's going to depend on what service you are on, but assuming that you are talking about GSM yes, because it uses a newer version of HSPA than the 3GS which I believe will max out at around 7.2 megs. As for what version we do not know.

eh... I'd say probably not. Maybe in theory, but it's really going to depend on the coverage and subscriber base in your area. Same for '4G' (assuming it even gets 4G hardware)... your local coverage is going to matter more than anything.

For instance, I can have full bars at my house (in the city) and I'm lucky to hit 300Kbps. However, if I go to the next city over (craphole... not many decent people left living there. Lots of gang vilolence), I'll get closer to 800Kbps... I assume due to the lack of subscribers congesting the network.

I'm not too familiar with all of the iPhones hardware, but I would assume the 3GS wouldn't even have HSPA+ (what AT&T considers "4G") capability since I don't think it was widely deployed at that time. AT&T just launched it's LTE network which should be comparable to Verizons, but I'll guarantee that the iPhone5 will not have an LTE radio in it. I'm sure it'll be HSPA+ though since I think the iPhone4 is, so it should still be a bit faster on the network than the 3GS if what I'm thinking is right.

The radio/antenna design should be better. And with a better cpu, the processing bottleneck should also be reduced. So you should theoretically see faster speed without the speed actually being faster (unless the iPhone 4S/5 has that rumored HSPA+/LTE integrated qualcomm SoC provided that you have 4G available in your area).

Broadband-like browsing probably won't be available due to the fact that Safari doesn't support things like flash, and many websites also recognize iOS Safari and format their webpages for it.

just expect a incremental update. the 3gs supported hsdpa, and the 4 added hsupa which provided better speeds. as mentioned before, it's going to be better, but we don't know by how and what.

iPhone 5 will not come out this year,just wait for it . But I think the iphone 5 must be better than 3GS,

Back