iPhone 4 Camera Discoloration

morgrar

Limp Gawd
Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Please see the link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/morgrar/4742226377/

Or, a smaller version right here in the post:

4742226377_7ea06428e5.jpg

Do you have a case on it? maybe it's too close to the lens/flash and messing with the color.

No case. No protective film either. It's not as noticeable when there are a lot of colors involved, but if it's just a blank image, or one with consistent color throughout (such as a blue sky), the tint will be off. I've tried cleaning the lens as well.

I think it has to do with CFLs because it's happening on my phone too. I haven't been able to test it outside yet.

I think it has to do with CFLs because it's happening on my phone too. I haven't been able to test it outside yet.

I keep forgetting to test it outside. I'll do that later today, as long as I get out of the office in time for a shot in daylight. Were you able to?

I took a few more shots. One of coins on paper and it's glaringly obvious there, but then another shot of some books and it's barely noticeable if you're not looking for it:

4746507377_efdd870c61.jpg

4747185566_9934bef44a.jpg

So, I took a photo outside. Same deal. Not as glaring obviously, but you'll see it.

4747598056_2cbcbdfcf0_z.jpg

(The left side of the pavement looks more purple.)

I have the same issue but it's only occuring in very dark settings.. I have not noticed any discoloration around the outside in well lit shots..

For example if I take my phone and lay it down so the image is completely black, you see a red vignette just like you're showing. I don't even need to take the picture you can see it on the iphone display as well.

Isn't the new camera sensor backlit or something now? Seems like yours might be defective and some of that light could be leaking... especially if you can see it with the phone set on a table.

What do I do? Just call Apple, or take it into a store? This can't be normal or expected. I've seen other folks' photos and they're not like this.

4749335089_85decbbeca.jpg

Did you get it in an apple store? If so just call them up and make an appointment and I am pretty sure they would just replace it on the spot.

I ordered it through AT&T. I just made an appointment with a "Genius" for tomorrow evening at a local store. I hope they do replace it. I use the camera a lot, and can't just let the purple-aspect slide. It's blatant.

I ordered it through AT&T. I just made an appointment with a "Genius" for tomorrow evening at a local store. I hope they do replace it. I use the camera a lot, and can't just let the purple-aspect slide. It's blatant.

Yeah that would bother me as well

What do I do? Just call Apple, or take it into a store? This can't be normal or expected. I've seen other folks' photos and they're not like this.

4749335089_85decbbeca.jpg

Get it exchanged, it shouldn't matter where you bought it from.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never had to visit an Apple Genius before or request support. If I ask for an exchange, do they replace it with a new phone or a refurbished model? Also, do I bring the box, headphones, cable, etc. with it?

Ordinarily you'd be likely to receive a refurbished model. When it comes to Apple, refurbished is practically new: at least all exterior parts are replaced. At this point though, I doubt Apple has good quantities of refurbished iPhone 4s, if any.

Odds are that you'll walk in, you give them your phone, they give you an unopened box.

I heard each store has some out of box replacement models on hand so that is probably what you would get. (Pretty sure they are brand new though)

If you got it at an AT&T store, you should be able to directly exchange it there within 30 days.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never had to visit an Apple Genius before or request support. If I ask for an exchange, do they replace it with a new phone or a refurbished model? Also, do I bring the box, headphones, cable, etc. with it?

Just walk in with the phone..no box or anything else needed. They'll swap it. Usually in 10 mins. I had my 3GS swapped twice. Very easy and very happy. Both times I got a refurb that you couldn't tell from new.

Just walk in with the phone..no box or anything else needed. They'll swap it. Usually in 10 mins. I had my 3GS swapped twice. Very easy and very happy. Both times I got a refurb that you couldn't tell from new.

I know it's not a big deal with Apple refurbs, but it's just unfortunate that the phone is brand new, and due to their glitchy QA, I have to get a refurb'd model. Oh well, either way, if I get one that lasts as long as this one does and the camera is better, then so be it.

I just went 48 hours without charging it. My use was moderate, but the same amount of usage on my 3G would've landed me maybe 12 hours. The phone doesn't cease to impress me.

Can anybody take a picture of their WHITE wall and replicate this pink tint issue?

Is this a defect or inherent with all iPhone 4?...

Can anybody confirm or deny this? Does this warrant a replacement? It's kinda annoying me....

I know it's not a big deal with Apple refurbs, but it's just unfortunate that the phone is brand new, and due to their glitchy QA, I have to get a refurb'd model. Oh well, either way, if I get one that lasts as long as this one does and the camera is better, then so be it.

I just went 48 hours without charging it. My use was moderate, but the same amount of usage on my 3G would've landed me maybe 12 hours. The phone doesn't cease to impress me.

At this point I'd be VERY surprised to find they have any refurbs. I'm sure you'll get a brand new one but the longer you wait the more chance you'll get a refurb.

Can anybody take a picture of their WHITE wall and replicate this pink tint issue?

Is this a defect or inherent with all iPhone 4?...

Can anybody confirm or deny this? Does this warrant a replacement? It's kinda annoying me....

Yeah, I'm going to the Apple store tonight to see what they say or if an exchange is possible. I just have a feeling my replacement (if they have one and I can get one) will somehow be worse than this one.

Does anyone know if they just swap MicroSIM cards out during an exchange?

Yeah, I'm going to the Apple store tonight to see what they say or if an exchange is possible. I just have a feeling my replacement (if they have one and I can get one) will somehow be worse than this one.

Does anyone know if they just swap MicroSIM cards out during an exchange?

Yes, they swap it and activate the phone. Did you make an appointment online?

Yes, they swap it and activate the phone. Did you make an appointment online?

Yes, I reserved a Genius appointment for tonight at 6:50. I almost feel silly for bitching about this issue since it's not THAT bad or important, but I figure other people are not experiencing this, so I shouldn't settle.

Its like that on mine as well. I figured i would go try and get a new one after they became more readily available.

Went to the Apple store. They checked out my phone and agreed that there was in fact camera color issues. They replaced my phone and gave me a brand new one right then and there. I think the camera is better overall, but I won't know for sure until I take a photo in the daylight tomorrow. I'll let y'all know.

Went to the Apple store. They checked out my phone and agreed that there was in fact camera color issues. They replaced my phone and gave me a brand new one right then and there. I think the camera is better overall, but I won't know for sure until I take a photo in the daylight tomorrow. I'll let y'all know.

Went to the store and the replacement was WORSE... walked with out my old phone...

I just took a photo in daylight, and while it's not perfect, I think it's much better than what I had before. Overall, more consistency.

4754921362_815809a295_z.jpg

much better!

I need to take a closer look at mine now... a test shot I just looked at seems to have that bluish-green hue in the center. Maybe it's the bad lighting in my office.

much better!

I need to take a closer look at mine now... a test shot I just looked at seems to have that bluish-green hue in the center. Maybe it's the bad lighting in my office.

Yeah, I think that will still occur due to the lighting in most offices. The outside shot is what confirms it for me, anyway. The low-light shots are still very yellow due to the poor auto white balance, but that's okay. I hope they'll fix it in a software update.

There's a lot of noise in almost of these pictures, is this typical?

Yeah, I think that will still occur due to the lighting in most offices. The outside shot is what confirms it for me, anyway. The low-light shots are still very yellow due to the poor auto white balance, but that's okay. I hope they'll fix it in a software update.

Good to know! My low-light shots are quite yellow too but it sounds like I shouldn't worry and try to exchange the phone over this. I hope for that software fix too...

Back