iPhone 3G Contract + ETF Workaround?

Firefox90

Weaksauce
I was browsing over the iPhone 3G info and I began reading the TOS. I came across a line that I need clarification on. As I read it, I believe it is saying if you buy the 3G, sign up for a contract, wait 14 days but cancel within 30 days, ATT will waive the early termination fee and not require the return of equipment (iPhone).

Am I seeing things or is that awesome :confused:

Link

Under #4, 4 paragraphs in.

"Service may be cancelled after 14 days but within 30 days and early termination fee will be waived, but equipment may not be returned. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees."

This

Terms Applicable to AT&T Nation/FamilyTalk® GSM Plans: Credit approval required. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T's owned network coverage area. An early termination fee applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term. The fee will begin at $175 per device and decrease by $5 each month for the term of the agreement. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 14 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. Service may be cancelled after 14 days but within 30 days and early termination fee will be waived, but equipment may not be returned. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees.

Not sure of your point though because what is the point in having a phone with no service. I already asked Verizon and they won't allow it on their network . (Unless the lady I talked to was an idiot, likely)

Careful, there may be an "unsubsidized" price that they will make you pay if you don't return the phone. I know some companies will charge you the rest of te price of a phone if you don't return it within the return period.

Not sure of your point though because what is the point in having a phone with no service. I already asked Verizon and they won't allow it on their network . (Unless the lady I talked to was an idiot, likely)

She wasn't an idiot. First off, I can without a doubt say Verizon reps are better trained than those of any other provider. Secondly, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, while Telekom Mobile and AT&T are the major US GSM carriers. The idea is that since T-Mobile also uses GSM, one could use an unlocked iPhone on a T-Mobile [or other] network.

To the thread poster, yeah, it's significant. However, it will become *more* so once the bloody thing is unlocked.

To the thread poster, yeah, it's significant. However, it will become *more* so once the bloody thing is unlocked.

Exactly. That was my idea.

Plus I would like to know if I could pull that before 30 days are up and then come back to ATT and sign up for the same plan again W/O the 2 year agreement in case I change my mind on a GSM carrier.

Back