iPhone 3.0 Safari issues?

Has anybody noticed that since 3.0 safari has been running very slow? I have the FreeMemory app that lets me see the amount of ram available and the running processes. Safari never closes anymore.

Also, I tried to forcibly shut down safari, which always worked before 3.0 (just hold the home button for about 10 seconds and it will 'kill' the process). now it doesnt close the app anymore. anybody else notice this?

Are you sure you're running 3.0 and not 4.0? 4.0 is the latest release, as of about a week ago, and if you are in fact running 3.0, I would suggest upgrading to 4.0 to see if that solves your problem.

If it was just a typo and you are running 4.0, I would suggest rebooting to see if that solves the problem. I myself have 4.0 on my 13MBP and it runs flawlessly.

Are you sure you're running 3.0 and not 4.0? 4.0 is the latest release, as of about a week ago, and if you are in fact running 3.0, I would suggest upgrading to 4.0 to see if that solves your problem.

If it was just a typo and you are running 4.0, I would suggest rebooting to see if that solves the problem. I myself have 4.0 on my 13MBP and it runs flawlessly.

dude, this is in reference to the 3.0 OS on the iphone, nothing to do with safari on the computer.

safari 4.0 on my computer is actually pretty good, too bad i use chrome...

Holding home doesn't close any apps any longer. Not sure why, or how to do it now.

The only issue I've had with it is it doesn't open accuweather.com to quickly any longer, where before it used to be decent.

dude, this is in reference to the 3.0 OS on the iphone, nothing to do with safari on the computer.

jeebus, don't post just after you wake up. sorry man.

To force quit in 3.0 hold the sleep/wake button till power slider appears, then press and hold home button until app closes.

I need to do this a couple of times for Safari and BeejiveIM because of some bugs.

EDIT: I can't wait for there to be somekind of an alternate web browser for the iPhone (Chrome, FireFox, heck even IE).

Last edited:
My experiance has been that safari is much faster on 3.0. Have you tried clearing the cache, cookies and history? When you updated to 3.0 did you restore your data from a backup or did you set it up as a new phone? Sometimes with a major update it's better to start fresh.

My experiance has been that safari is much faster on 3.0. Have you tried clearing the cache, cookies and history? When you updated to 3.0 did you restore your data from a backup or did you set it up as a new phone? Sometimes with a major update it's better to start fresh.

iphone 3g, i didnt restore data from backup, i merely updated the os. i will keep playing with it to find out.

To force quit in 3.0 hold the sleep/wake button till power slider appears, then press and hold home button until app closes.

I need to do this a couple of times for Safari and BeejiveIM because of some bugs.

EDIT: I can't wait for there to be somekind of an alternate web browser for the iPhone (Chrome, FireFox, heck even IE).

awesome, that worked. but it takes longer than just holding the home button until the app closes. oh well, cant ask for too much i suppose

i think an alternate web browser would be great if it included support for flash/shockwave/silverlight etc, otw it wouldnt be really all that useful

there are other browsers out there IIRC.

if you're jailbroken w/ sbsettings installed
you just swipe the top status bar and the SBSettings menu drops down
click processes and close safari

done and done

Safari for the phone has been a bit slower. I read on gizmodo that 3.1 makes it a bit faster. Dunno if that was a known issue with 3.0

Since you brought it up! How is Chrome for OSX? I'll check into it, kinda liked it for the PC. Been using Safari 4.0 (duh).

Safari for the phone has been a bit slower. I read on gizmodo that 3.1 makes it a bit faster. Dunno if that was a known issue with 3.0

Since you brought it up! How is Chrome for OSX? I'll check into it, kinda liked it for the PC. Been using Safari 4.0 (duh).

is apple releasing 3.1 anytime soon? i havent heard anything about it yet.

btw, i am PC all the way, check out the sig. I strongly dislike all things @pple, i just happen to absolutely love the iphone and it is also the best smartphone available.

chrome in vista 64 is wonderful, and it is even better in win7 :D

jailbreak
install sbsettings

kill safari process at any time

FYI, SBSettings installs MobileSubstrate which I have found to make my phone annoyingly slower. Other people seem to say there's no problem. YMMV.

Yes, Safari is slow as heck! Closing pages takes upwards of 5 seconds and loading pages is actually slower than with 2.2.1.

I know it's a long shot, but did Apple do this so the 3GS appears faster?:mad:

Yes, Safari is slow as heck! Closing pages takes upwards of 5 seconds and loading pages is actually slower than with 2.2.1.

I know it's a long shot, but did Apple do this so the 3GS appears faster?:mad:

I'm noticing no speed differences. Do all of you guys keep 5 or more tabs open at the same time? That'd definitely slow down Safari.

I'm new to the iPhone and never used 2.2.x so I can't compare, but Safari seems really fast to me. But I also only have 1-2 tabs open at a time.

I'm noticing no speed differences. Do all of you guys keep 5 or more tabs open at the same time? That'd definitely slow down Safari.

i will keep like only 1-2 tabs open at any given time, and it is just killing the operation of the phone, esp when i try to 'close' safari

Exactly the same for me! I only use 1-2 tabs max for light browsing and it lags mostly when I try and exit a tab. I had Safari freeze for a while last night and had to reboot to get my iPhone to work.

I do strangely notice slowness in loading pages (internet is via Wifi, with fast cable), but what gets to me is the stuttering that happens often when I try to scroll, or rotate a page.

For the people that are having issues, did you update or do a full restore to get to 3.0? I've had absolutely no issues with my safari speed, so I'm wondering if just updating is causing the problem.

For the people that are having issues, did you update or do a full restore to get to 3.0? I've had absolutely no issues with my safari speed, so I'm wondering if just updating is causing the problem.

i did an update

I lost my safari Icon yesterday night, but before that there was nothing wrong with it.

Has anybody noticed that since 3.0 safari has been running very slow? I have the FreeMemory app that lets me see the amount of ram available and the running processes. Safari never closes anymore.

Also, I tried to forcibly shut down safari, which always worked before 3.0 (just hold the home button for about 10 seconds and it will 'kill' the process). now it doesnt close the app anymore. anybody else notice this?

No problems on my 3GS.

Back