iPhone 18 Pro And iPhone Duo

Not in the market myself, but definietely excited for the iPhone Ultra (or whatever the foldable will be called).

I've used the Galaxy Z Fold 8 and dig the form factor. Apple could one-up Samsung simply by having a sleeker design (the Z Fold 8 has sharp corners) and, of course, reaching the many people who'll only get a foldable once Apple makes it.

My pet theory is that iPadOS 26 was a preview of the mutlitasking on the iPhone Ultra. In my dreams, at least, you'd have an iPad mini in your pocket with floating app windows. There would be wasted potential if you had to run apps one at a time.
 
My pet theory is that iPadOS 26 was a preview of the mutlitasking on the iPhone Ultra. In my dreams, at least, you'd have an iPad mini in your pocket with floating app windows. There would be wasted potential if you had to run apps one at a time.
I think this is what everyone is hoping for. A lot of us are in IT and rely on these devices for those urgent weekend remote sessions. I keep an iPad in my bike bag for when I don't have the MacBook nearby. This would hopefully eliminate that need. iPadOS gets this job done. iOS doesn't quite make it.
 
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this. Even if the folding iPhone isn't the style I want, I want more (good) foldables in the market. Plus, with Google kinda shitting the bed lately, I keep feeling like I'm going to have to choose between Apple and Samsung eventually. For me, that's Apple all day.
 
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this. Even if the folding iPhone isn't the style I want, I want more (good) foldables in the market. Plus, with Google kinda shitting the bed lately, I keep feeling like I'm going to have to choose between Apple and Samsung eventually. For me, that's Apple all day.
That's what's slightly depressing about the foldable phone market. It largely boils down to Samsung, Google, and now Apple... followed by a slew of Chinese vendors that are mostly unavailable in North America (Motorola's Razr Fold is the notable exception). It makes the conventional phone space seem fiercely competitive.

I'm curious to see what Google does for a Pixel 12 Pro Fold. The Pixel 12 line is supposed to be another big redesign, so I'd love to see the Pro Fold slim down in addition to the usual performance improvements.
 
iPhone Duo at $1999 for 256GB is surely going to sell out in this market.
Finally, UDC on the main display!
Cannot wait to snag one or two even!
 
iPhone Duo at $1999 for 256GB is surely going to sell out in this market.
Finally, UDC on the main display!
Cannot wait to snag one or two even!
I'm excited for it, right at the end of my 3 year cycle on my carrier too so hopefully I get a good trade-in deal on my current phone.

For those who have used foldable phones before, how does the software compare to what was shown off here? Do the apps and general UI accommodating to the form factor to make it more usable, or is it scuffed? I liked what I saw here, not sure if it is just standard or not though. In my previous experience with Android I'd expect no, but it has been like over a decade since I last used an android phone
 
I’ll probably wait for next years model of the Duo, unless my carrier offers me a great upgrade deal. It’ll probably be 6+ months before most apps get a proper update for the different screen ratio and layout.
 
I’ll probably wait for next years model of the Duo, unless my carrier offers me a great upgrade deal. It’ll probably be 6+ months before most apps get a proper update for the different screen ratio and layout.
Yeah ideally same, think I'm gonna get stuck in a bad cycle though where AT&T will run a good trade in deal for my current model phone, and if I wait next year then it will be too old to get any good value out of. So guess I'll be an early adopter (hopefully not as early as the android foldable phone adopters though, thank you for your service peeps o7)
 
  • Like
Reactions: zehoo
like this
*ahem*

'no crease'

1788992942707.png
 
why did Apple decide to name it the Apple Duo?...keep it simple, call it the iPhone Ultra or iPhone Fold
 
I'm not an iPhone guy, but this brand new first foldable phone announced from Apple today does look super cool.

And Apple waited years to release their first foldable and corrected things that didn't work on other manufacturers folds, now they release a product that looks well thought out and done right

I might actually think about getting this.
 
iOS 27 is at least a decent upgrade so far on my 17 pro. Everything seems to load faster, and the AI stuff just works better now. Not a massive change, but I’m glad they’re focusing on improving versus big changes.
 
You people just glazing Apple. I don't see how this is a better folderable phone over a Samsung 8 and 8 Ultra.
 
You people just glazing Apple. I don't see how this is a better folderable phone over a Samsung 8 and 8 Ultra.
It’s not. It’s just as big of a piece of shit IMO, although they did nail down the iOS build for it better than what Android does. However, the crease is still present which to me is an instant no go.
 
When will panel tech be available to never see or notice the crease?
 
That's not 'no crease', as was heavily rumored

rumored...Apple never stated no crease...no official reports from Apple stating that...it was all rumors...Apple was working on a way to minimize the crease and they succeeded in my opinion...eliminating it altogether would require some futuristic nanobot technology
 
When will panel tech be available to never see or notice the crease?
Probably never. The better way to do it would be making two edgeless glass panels that perfectly mechanically fit together IMO, and I thought Apple would do that given how much they talked about the hinge.
 
Last edited:
I'm an Android user, mostly Pixel, but anyway, the Fold phones just never interested me, never had one, because I wonder what if actually opening it up fully to use as intended just doesn't happen often? Meaning lets say you buy a cool fold phone, but you still mostly use the front main part of the phone for everyday use, and opening it up, only happens rarely when wanting to watch a video or see 2 pages at the same time, but you maybe rarely do?

Like the S-Pen in a Galaxy phone, great idea, sounds super cool, but when I had the Note phones, I actually rarely used the S-Pen function.

Fold users, how often are you truly opening it up to use fully as intended, compared to just using the main front facing screen?
 
I'm an Android user, mostly Pixel, but anyway, the Fold phones just never interested me, never had one, because I wonder what if actually opening it up fully to use as intended just doesn't happen often? Meaning lets say you buy a cool fold phone, but you still mostly use the front main part of the phone for everyday use, and opening it up, only happens rarely when wanting to watch a video or see 2 pages at the same time, but you maybe rarely do?

Like the S-Pen in a Galaxy phone, great idea, sounds super cool, but when I had the Note phones, I actually rarely used the S-Pen function.

Fold users, how often are you truly opening it up to use fully as intended, compared to just using the main front facing screen?
I've used a few foldables. Usually, I stick to the cover screen for quick uses but open up when I'm either watching something or in full-on power user mode (i.e. juggling multiple apps).

There are also some people for whom their phone is effectively their computer. If you're on your feet most of the day (such as airport workers), you can't sit down to use a laptop. This is how they get things done before they get home... or just unwind with a TV show during their lunch breaks.
 
I have the iPhone 17 Pro and the 18 Pro might be the least impressive year-to-year upgrade ever...almost zero difference...the one main difference is the variable aperture main camera but unless you're a pro photographer it doesn't matter...yes it has the newest processor and more cores but overall it's basically the exact same phone in different colors

the Duo seems like the major upgrade this year
 
I have the iPhone 17 Pro and the 18 Pro might be the least impressive year-to-year upgrade ever...almost zero difference...the one main difference is the variable aperture main camera but unless you're a pro photographer it doesn't matter...yes it has the newest processor and more cores but overall it's basically the exact same phone in different colors

the Duo seems like the major upgrade this year
The Duo has purposefully nerfed cameras to give them something to upgrade next year. I would deal with a bigger camera bump on the Duo to have the top cameras instead of a trade off on screen size or camera quality.
 
I have the iPhone 17 Pro and the 18 Pro might be the least impressive year-to-year upgrade ever...almost zero difference...the one main difference is the variable aperture main camera but unless you're a pro photographer it doesn't matter...yes it has the newest processor and more cores but overall it's basically the exact same phone in different colors

the Duo seems like the major upgrade this year
The 17 pro is very solid. It reminds me of the 11 pro in terms of how long lasting it’ll be. 18 pro isn’t bad if you’re not on the 17 pro yet, because the every pro model since like the 11 has had serious heat/battery life issues up until the 17.

I’m not upgrading because the real upgrade will be next year with the XX or whatever it will be.
 
The Duo has purposefully nerfed cameras to give them something to upgrade next year. I would deal with a bigger camera bump on the Duo to have the top cameras instead of a trade off on screen size or camera quality.

the Duo doesn't even seem to be marketed towards people who want the best smartphone- that's still the Pro models...the Duo seems for iPad Mini users or people who need a small form factor iPad

I’m not upgrading because the real upgrade will be next year with the XX or whatever it will be.

the curved glass design definitely sounds nice...the Apple trade in for the 17 Pro is $785 which is not bad...if Apple didn't raise the price of the 18 Pro by $100 it would have been more tempting
 
I have the iPhone 17 Pro and the 18 Pro might be the least impressive year-to-year upgrade ever...almost zero difference...the one main difference is the variable aperture main camera but unless you're a pro photographer it doesn't matter...yes it has the newest processor and more cores but overall it's basically the exact same phone in different colors

the Duo seems like the major upgrade this year

Today's smartphones aren't meant for annual "upgrades" anymore. If you have last year's phone, the new phone this year is not meant for you, it's for someone upgrading from a phone that's 3 or 4 years old.

A 14 Pro to 18 Pro would be a nice noticable upgrade. But no reason to ditch your 17 Pro now.
 
Today's smartphones aren't meant for annual "upgrades" anymore. If you have last year's phone, the new phone this year is not meant for you, it's for someone upgrading from a phone that's 3 or 4 years old.

A 14 Pro to 18 Pro would be a nice noticable upgrade. But no reason to ditch your 17 Pro now.
And I would also think that is why this is the "easiest" year to get preorders on release day. My 2TB 17PM cost $1999 last year. To replace it with the same storage today is $500 more! With today's economy most people aren't spending that much on phones. The 18 is more like an S upgrade and I'm hearing that 17 Pro/Max cases fit the 18 and vice versa which is also a first.

The Duo, OTOH, will absolutely be difficult to get on release day. It's expected to have strong demand and somewhat limited supply.
 
It’s likely selling less, but I’d have to imagine that with the staggered release schedule now there is also more production.
 
Today's smartphones aren't meant for annual "upgrades" anymore. If you have last year's phone, the new phone this year is not meant for you, it's for someone upgrading from a phone that's 3 or 4 years old.

A 14 Pro to 18 Pro would be a nice noticable upgrade. But no reason to ditch your 17 Pro now.
On top of that, yearly upgrades now detract from the sense of ownership. It was one thing in 2010 when an iPhone 4 was such a sharp break that 3GS owners would rush to upgrade; it's another in today's more iterative world where even significant improvements rarely prompt premature upgrades. Now, I'd rather feel like I own my phone than rent it.

The only folks who should really make that one-year switch are pro photographers and videographers who will genuinely notice the camera updates every day. Me, I'd love an 18 Pro but will wait for the big expected overhaul next year.
 
I upgrade every year. It’s not a massive cost for me given the trade in values on the pros historically. Everything said and done it’s only about $300 for me to upgrade, and Apple makes the trade in process very easy. I also get a 10% discount from Apple and don’t pay sales taxes along with the business write off which helps.
 
Back
Top