iPhone 14 / iPhone 14 Pro

Aurelius

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that the iPhone 14 line is official, I figured we should have a thread to discuss all models.

My first thought: Android can learn something from the iPhone 14 Pro’s always-on display. It’s not just a clock and a few notifications; it’s a genuinely useful front end that’s also more personal. Wish Apple hadn’t taken so long, but clearly it wanted to do AOD when it thought it could bring something new to the table. Ditto the “dynamic island” to complement the camera cutout.

The regular iPhone 14 is a very mild update, but I have a feeling the Plus model is going to sell like gangbusters — it’s a big iPhone that doesn’t cost a fortune.

I’m in no rush to upgrade as a 13 Pro owner, but if I had an 11 or earlier I’d be all over this.

I bought an M2 MacBook Air and will trade in my current iPad Pro for the M2 version, so my Apple purchases are done for 2022. I also just picked up a new Pixel 6 Pro for $599 so I'll be sticking with Android for another year. I like that dynamic island on the iPhone 14 and plan on getting the 15 Pro Max in 2023.

This will be the first time in a while I'm not preordering for release day. My 13 Pro Max is fine. "Dynamic Island", I feel like, is a "solution" (compromise) for a problem that shouldn't exist. If TouchID hardware cannot be reduced in physical size why not just drop it and go to a side button FP reader? I have a Fold 3, Flip 3 and now just picked up a Fold 4 and all of them use this FP reader and it's flawless. FaceID, OTOH, is picky, doesn't work in certain conditions, and particularly with masks, other PPE, and eyeware, et al. A lot of the demos I see also show people interacting with that area by swiping across it. Well guess what! If that area of the screen is not kept clean FaceID will absolutely lose reliability. Not to mention the front facing camera will produce horrible output with fingerprints and smudges. So there's that.

And too, let's not forget about the (bad) choice to keep lightning for yet another year! I do love my Android devices but no phone really can match let alone beat my 13 Pro Max in video capture. Especially pro-res. But that takes up 6GB per MINUTE. 1TB holds enough for a few gigs perhaps but transferring that over USB 2.0 is practically torturous. Thank goodness for WiFi 6.

And that brings on the next thing! No WiFi 6E!

I will be curious to see how well Apple can do pixel binning and how well 48MP RAW capture is and appreciate the fact that the 1TB Pro Max version is still "only" $1599 USD plus tax. ;-)

What I'm more interested in is Apple Watch Ultra! Cannot wait until it's on my wrist.

Next year, we can only hope lightning is finally replaced with USB-C (and wouldn't it be sweet if that also worked with Thunderbolt 4 but it may never due to power requirements). And perhaps a periscope camera providing a real optical zoom of 8X or more.

This will be the first time in a while I'm not preordering for release day. My 13 Pro Max is fine. "Dynamic Island", I feel like, is a "solution" (compromise) for a problem that shouldn't exist. If TouchID hardware cannot be reduced in physical size why not just drop it and go to a side button FP reader? I have a Fold 3, Flip 3 and now just picked up a Fold 4 and all of them use this FP reader and it's flawless. FaceID, OTOH, is picky, doesn't work in certain conditions, and particularly with masks, other PPE, and eyeware, et al. A lot of the demos I see also show people interacting with that area by swiping across it. Well guess what! If that area of the screen is not kept clean FaceID will absolutely lose reliability. Not to mention the front facing camera will produce horrible output with fingerprints and smudges. So there's that.

And too, let's not forget about the (bad) choice to keep lightning for yet another year! I do love my Android devices but no phone really can match let alone beat my 13 Pro Max in video capture. Especially pro-res. But that takes up 6GB per MINUTE. 1TB holds enough for a few gigs perhaps but transferring that over USB 2.0 is practically torturous. Thank goodness for WiFi 6.

And that brings on the next thing! No WiFi 6E!

I will be curious to see how well Apple can do pixel binning and how well 48MP RAW capture is and appreciate the fact that the 1TB Pro Max version is still "only" $1599 USD plus tax. ;-)

What I'm more interested in is Apple Watch Ultra! Cannot wait until it's on my wrist.

Next year, we can only hope lightning is finally replaced with USB-C (and wouldn't it be sweet if that also worked with Thunderbolt 4 but it may never due to power requirements). And perhaps a periscope camera providing a real optical zoom of 8X or more.
Under-screen cameras and sensors aren't where they need to be to eliminate notches and cutouts entirely, so Dynamic Island is more about making the most of the practical reality than anything. I don't fault Android vendors for doing what they have, but this does beg the question of why manufacturers have generally done nothing with cutouts besides try to hide them.

I actually prefer Face ID these days. While I've used fast under-display fingerprint readers, they can still be a bit fussy (particularly if your fingers are even slightly damp) and require more of a conscious effort than "look at your phone."

Having Lightning for one more year is silly, but from the sounds of it this is more a matter of bad timing for planning the USB-C switchover than anything. It's virtually certain the iPhone 15 will have the port, but the odds are that the decision came when the iPhone 14 design had already been finalized. Wi-Fi 6E would be nice, I'll agree — I just don't think it's a big problem as the extra speed would currently be wasted for most users.

Like you, I'll probably be sitting pretty until at least the iPhone 15. There's little reason to upgrade from the 13 family unless you absolutely cannot live without an always-on display or a higher-resolution camera. Early rumors suggest you'll get what you want next year.

Woke up at 5 AM to pre-order the Pro Max. Will get here Friday. Coming from a XR so it's quite an upgrade. Looking forward to the new M2 MacBook Pros later this year.

They really should have gotten rid of lightning. I guess we gotta wait another year.
Hell, it felt like I was on another planet when I upgraded from an XS to a 13 Pro. For you, it’ll be even more dramatic. Please let us know how it fares!

I must be in the minority that likes the lightning and doesn’t want it to go. It’s a superior connector IMO. I really don’t care that I need to carry a different cable.

It wouldn't be so bad if it allowed USB 3.1+ speeds. USB 2.0 in 2022 is laughable!
That's my only real complaint about it. Although, I haven't done lightning transfers in years at this point. Everything is done from cell/wifi.

PRORES footage is 6GB per minute. It's painful to transfer 400GB at a time over USB 2.0. If you're not doing this then it doesn't matter I suppose. WiFi 6 is faster. Wish the 14 had WiFi 6E though.

The reviews are here, and the phones are largely what you expected. With that said, I'm intrigued by Mrwhosetheboss' iPhone 14 Pro vs. Galaxy S22 Ultra camera showdown. Looks like Apple has shored up a few weaknesses and now handily beats Samsung in most tests. The S22U wins in obvious areas like zoom, but loses out in areas like selfies and portraits. I was particularly struck by how Apple trounces Samsung in near zoom and action video modes — the latter is so bad on the S22U that you're probably better off with the jittery footage.

Last edited:
The reviews are here, and the phones are largely what you expected. With that said, I'm intrigued by Mrwhosetheboss' iPhone 14 Pro vs. Galaxy S22 Ultra camera showdown. Looks like Apple has shored up a few weaknesses and now handily beats Samsung in most tests. The S22U wins in obvious areas like zoom, but loses out in areas like selfies and portraits. I was particularly struck by how Apple trounces Samsung in near zoom and action video modes — the latter is so bad on the S22U that you're probably better off with the jittery footage.

I used to like watching him, but now I can't stand the way he talks about everything.

I used to like watching him, but now I can't stand the way he talks about everything.
Yeah, I grew weary of his style, too. My go to reviewers are Flossy Carter, Patrick Rambles, Zone of Tech, Max Tech, and a few others. I miss "High on Android" Max. He moved back to S. Korea and hasn't done reviews in a few years.

Yeah, I grew weary of his style, too. My go to reviewers are Flossy Carter, Patrick Rambles, Zone of Tech, Max Tech, and a few others. I miss "High on Android" Max. He moved back to S. Korea and hasn't done reviews in a few years.
He's also insanely Samsung biased. I can't stand watching tech reviewers unless they can remain impartial. I'm been finding that a lot of the small time YouTubers have much better content. They haven't become jaded with their fame.

Torn down already!

Looks easy! ;-)

I wonder if the parts can be interchanged without the genuine warning BS as in the past.

I'm cool with Arun's style; different strokes, I suppose. I'd say this was useful; he has a keen eye for what one phone is doing better than the other, but presents the concepts in practical terms. The gist is that the iPhone 14 Pro is better overall, particularly up to the 10X zoom point (where Samsung clearly takes over) and anything to do with video.

Attachments

• 20220915_134418.jpg
    20220915_134418.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220915_134605.jpg
    20220915_134605.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
I knew I forgot one more: The Tech Chap

He's also insanely Samsung biased. I can't stand watching tech reviewers unless they can remain impartial. I'm been finding that a lot of the small time YouTubers have much better content. They haven't become jaded with their fame.
Patrick Rambles is one of those newer YT reviewers. He's very good and has no problem calling BS on products and other reviewers.

Eh, Prosser is fond of stirring the pot with exaggerated reactions. I'm sure the cutout is visible in some situations, but it's not going to be so irksome that folks throw a fit... especially not when it promises some genuine functionality you don't really see on Android.
That was intentionally taken to look that way. So stupid. The rest of the icons look like that way as well. It's never going to look that when when you're staring at it. the icons are never going to look that way either. And the picture is potato quality. Prosser is awful.

I do agree, Jon can be a douche.

As a diehard Nexus / Pixel fan myself, I will say this Dynamic Island thing is pretty nifty, and I do like the iPhone 14 Pro Max, seems to be a beast of a smartphone.

iPhone 14 doesn't seem worth it. Just buy a 13 and save the money.
The 14 Pro on the other hand seems like a reasonable upgrade for those on the 11 and before certainly and possibly 12.

If I had extra cash to kick around, I'd get a 14 Pro, but honestly my XR is still chugging along just fine. Not super interested in dropping $1000 for what would mostly be a minor speed, massive display upgrade, and cameras. I still might just trade in for an iPhone 13 Mini. At $550, it's pretty absurd the speed and power of that tiny phone.

iPhone 14 doesn't seem worth it. Just buy a 13 and save the money.
The 14 Pro on the other hand seems like a reasonable upgrade for those on the 11 and before certainly and possibly 12.

If I had extra cash to kick around, I'd get a 14 Pro, but honestly my XR is still chugging along just fine. Not super interested in dropping $1000 for what would mostly be a minor speed, massive display upgrade, and cameras. I still might just trade in for an iPhone 13 Mini. At $550, it's pretty absurd the speed and power of that tiny phone.
13 pro/14 pro is worth upgrading to just to get the higher hz display, honestly. I'm upgrading to the 14 pro off my 13 pro simply because of the satellite SOS feature. That's a game changer for me so I don't have to carry around & pay for my Spot anymore. Although for most it's likely a trivial/useless feature. Also, at least we do get a real update to the display with the big jump in total nits. Camera I really don't care much about. The 13 pro already has an amazing camera. I'll never be able to use these camera's to their full capability at this point. I wish I could somehow get a 14 Pro but without the camera humps. I'd be perfectly willing to sacrifice the camera quality to just have flush mount lenses, but the rest of the pro features.

At least this time around the Pro actually has a different CPU as well compared to the normal model.

13 pro/14 pro is worth upgrading to just to get the higher hz display, honestly.
Subjective. It fits under the category of "nice" but not necessary for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm disinterested, but ultimately my goal isn't to spend 1000's of hours on my phone. Just have something utilitarian that can do what I need it to do and get out of the way. Which is basically the strength of iPhone in general. And all of this is weighted about utility vs cost. I could spend that $500 elsewhere that would be more significant.
I'm upgrading to the 14 pro off my 13 pro simply because of the satellite SOS feature. That's a game changer for me so I don't have to carry around & pay for my Spot anymore. Although for most it's likely a trivial/useless feature.
Basically. If you're a back-packer, wilderness person, doing rockclimbing, etc, then this cycle was great. Between the 14 Pro and new Apple Watch Ultimate or whatever it's called, you have devices that can more or less help you anywhere in the globe in an emergency or "extreme" situation.
Questionable if it has any utility what-so-ever if you don't fit in those categories. But it's "cool".
Also, at least we do get a real update to the display with the big jump in total nits.
Also under the category of "display quality" for me. I just didn't feel like it was necessary to innumerate all the ways these newer displays are better than what I have or what has come before.
Camera I really don't care much about. The 13 pro already has an amazing camera. I'll never be able to use these camera's to their full capability at this point.
I shoot for a living. The newer phone processing is great, but is easily defeated by basically any mirrorless systems from the past 5 years. However there is different types of utility there. Most people don't want to carry a camera everywhere unless they're an otaku. I do most everywhere, but I recognize I'm unusual.
It still would be useful to have the big upgrade for things like social. I have no desire to shoot short movies on my camera, transfer that to my phone and upload that to stories. It's more about convenience for certain things rather than just purely about image quality and it would give me gains there. Enough to care? I'm still not there yet. The XR is sufficient, though not amazing when compared to something like my brothers 13 Pro Max.

I shoot for a living. The newer phone processing is great, but is easily defeated by basically any mirrorless systems from the past 5 years. However there is different types of utility there. Most people don't want to carry a camera everywhere unless they're an otaku. I do most everywhere, but I recognize I'm unusual.
It still would be useful to have the big upgrade for things like social. I have no desire to shoot short movies on my camera, transfer that to my phone and upload that to stories. It's more about convenience for certain things rather than just purely about image quality and it would give me gains there. Enough to care? I'm still not there yet. The XR is sufficient, though not amazing when compared to something like my brothers 13 Pro Max.
I look at it this way: the Pro line's camera array is incredibly valuable for all those less-than-ideal photographic situations where zoomed and macro photography would come in handy. For example, I toured the Rockies this summer — there were numerous times where it was much easier to snap a photo with the 3X zoom on my iPhone 13 Pro than it was to pull out my Sony mirrorless with a 55-210mm lens, and the quality difference was negligible unless you're pixel-peeping. I've been to a concert where I clearly couldn't bring a dedicated camera, and still got decent photos; I've even had popular pictures on Flickr that I took in unexpected moments.

With that said, in your boat I could see you waiting until the iPhone 15 and that possible telescopic lens. You'd have considerably more creative flexibility on top of the other performance upgrades.

As always, the best camera is the one you have with you!
The PRORES footage I've taken on my iPhone 13 Pro Max is very nice.
Of course comparing to a medium format, full frame kit with high end glass is silly.
But I can guarantee this, you will NEVER carry the latter in a pocket! :-P

So far, the biggest thing i'm noticing with my 14 Pro over the 13 Pro over anything else, is the 5G reception. At least on T-Mobile it's substantially better, to the point that i'm noticing this upgrade over everything else thus far.

So far, the biggest thing i'm noticing with my 14 Pro over the 13 Pro over anything else, is the 5G reception. At least on T-Mobile it's substantially better, to the point that i'm noticing this upgrade over everything else thus far.
How is power use and heat? On my Android P6 I disable 5G and UC cause of the spotty reception and constant switching in my area

How is power use and heat? On my Android P6 I disable 5G and UC cause of the spotty reception and constant switching in my area
Never had 5g power issues on iPhone. iOS does a good job of managing when it needs to use it or just stay LTE.

13 pro/14 pro is worth upgrading to just to get the higher hz display, honestly. I'm upgrading to the 14 pro off my 13 pro simply because of the satellite SOS feature. That's a game changer for me so I don't have to carry around & pay for my Spot anymore. ......................

Hopefully the Apple system has better coverage than Spot, seeing that SPOT is one of the worst rated SOS devices around (fee's, customer service and coverage) and people have literally died due to it not functioning as promised. Garmin Mini or Garmin anything is where it is at, and also uses a far superior sat network.

Have there been any actual real world tests done with the Apple SOS yet to show if it is good or not?
Would also throw in, SOS is a great option, but if you are going somewhere that you may need an SOS device, do you want to rely on a Apple iPhone, hope you have battery when you need it, or that you dont drop or damage it if you do take that fall? Garmin devices are specifically built to be able to take that kind of abuse and work for days on end on a single charge.

Hopefully the Apple system has better coverage than Spot, seeing that SPOT is one of the worst rated SOS devices around (fee's, customer service and coverage) and people have literally died due to it not functioning as promised. Garmin Mini or Garmin anything is where it is at, and also uses a far superior sat network.

Have there been any actual real world tests done with the Apple SOS yet to show if it is good or not?
Would also throw in, SOS is a great option, but if you are going somewhere that you may need an SOS device, do you want to rely on a Apple iPhone, hope you have battery when you need it, or that you dont drop or damage it if you do take that fall? Garmin devices are specifically built to be able to take that kind of abuse and work for days on end on a single charge.
Apple's satellite SOS service won't be available until November, so real-world testing isn't an option just yet.

This isn't really meant for someone who's venturing deep into the wilderness and will absolutely need satellite comms if they run into trouble. Yes, devices from companies like Garmin are better-suited for that. This is more of a just-in-case feature for people who would otherwise have no satellite service whatsoever. Think someone injured on an ordinary hike, or stranded by the roadside in an area with no cell coverage. Few people will drop $400 on a Garmin GPSMAP (plus the satellite subscription) just to make sure they're covered during a yearly camping trip; they will, however, feel a little more reassured if their $800 phone includes some of that functionality and, for a while at least, doesn't require any extra fees.

New iPhone 14 alerts first responders to crash that killed six young people

Six young people were killed when their car slammed into a tree in Nebraska – a horrific crash that was detected by the new iPhone 14, which alerted first responders, according to reports...

https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/iphone-alerts-first-responders-to-crash-that-killed-6-people/
This is something we're going to have to get used to. While crash detection will hopefully save lives, the reality is that it'll sometimes just alert emergency crews to fatal collisions that wouldn't otherwise be reported for a while.

I have a 13 Pro Max and absolutely content with it, so I’m skipping the 14 Pro Max. I pay for my parents limes/phones and going to upgrade my Dad to a 14 Pro from a 7. It’s going to be a HUGE upgrade for him and I think he’ll be happy. I would have did it last year, but I had 6 lines upgraded on my account that they wouldn’t do anymore. Kinda excited for him lol

I have a 13 Pro Max and absolutely content with it, so I’m skipping the 14 Pro Max. I pay for my parents limes/phones and going to upgrade my Dad to a 14 Pro from a 7. It’s going to be a HUGE upgrade for him and I think he’ll be happy. I would have did it last year, but I had 6 lines upgraded on my account that they wouldn’t do anymore. Kinda excited for him lol
That's going to be huge... I was itching to upgrade from the 7 to an XS back in 2018, so I can only imagine what it'll be like for your dad. And I'm in your boat; I'd love an always-on display, but not so much that I'd replace my year-old phone to get it. I'll probably be content to wait until 2024.

I bought a 14 pro max, and Pixel 7 pro, and currently was using a S22 Ultra for the last 9 months or so.. I was going to trade in my s22 for the pixel, however, I've had nothing but wifi issues with the pixel so I've sent it back. The 14 pro max has been solid, and what I am using now. I may sell the S22 Ultra shortly.

Back