iPhone 11

Looks like the 11 Pro Max takes the battery life crown this year for the big name flagships.

I know I'm a very unique position. I have two phones. I have a Pixel 3 with Google Fi that I got at the start of the year and absolutely love. It's my first foray back into Android since a very, very negative experience with a HTC Droid Incredible (I had a dud unit that died at just under 12 months). It's frankly a fantastic device and stock Android 10 is just a pleasure to use and has enough features to be a really great device. That said, until last Friday I was still using an iPhone X as my primary device. My biggest gripe was honestly the battery life at this point. I had the Apple battery case and it just didn't last a day without it typically. So, it meant I had a fat and heavy phone. Then, I pre-ordered the (annoyingly long-named) iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512 GB of storage. Mind, I am also in the iPhone upgrade program so it wasn't too much more a month over the 256 GB iPhone X I had been using. I do that because I do tend to upgrade more frequently and it means I get the latest, and more importantly, Apple Care is just part of the deal.

Anyway, I chose the 512 because I'm starting to do some video and photo work as part of a hobby which will hopefully transition to career. While a proper camera is always better, I already had the expense of a phone and having it all in one device will make things easier to start for me. Anyway, to the device itself. It's fast. Like, I didn't realize just how slow it made my iPhone X feel until I finished setting it up. It's just so much snappier at everything and that kind of blew me away that I noticed it as much as I did. The cameras, of course, are the real highlight. The low-light mode I think edges out the Pixel 3's which was already really good and it is excellent at dim light sources in darkness. Some of my test videos and photos were of a more difficult subject, a red, orange, and yellow lava lamp. Noise was very low, colors were true, and video was detailed and clear despite no other light source in the room. Reproduction of the reds was just really spot on, small bits of fast-moving wax were clear and not distorted with no artifacting. There was artifacting on the walls behind, but it wasn't too distracting from the main focus of the lamp itself which didn't suffer from it. Once out of the dark the cameras really shine. They're sharp, fairly color accurate, and very little artifacting.

Battery life is excellent. That Apple actually increased the thickness ever so slightly to increase battery size is a huge win in my book. It's easy to go a day with my same usage, if not heavier, as before and still have a good 40% left by that night. For light users, I imagine the iPhone 11 line would easily get two days of usage between charges. That said, it's also a beefy phone at 248 grams with the clear polycarbonate case. It's the first 'big' phone I've had since briefly having an iPhone 8 Plus and it took a bit to re-familiarize myself with it. Mind, I do have small hands at 17cm from tip of middle finger to wrist and approximately 16cm from tip of thumb stretched out to edge of palm. As a small note I did buy Apple's new clear case as the one I'm using (25 grams if you're curious) and I was surprised at how grippy it felt compared to other smooth, clear cases I've used in the past. This is the first hard one that doesn't feel like it would just slide away out of my hands, though, it does easily slide in and out of pockets so if you are worried about that a silicone or soft TPU case. I'd also say that, while it fits perfectly (as it should) it's really not worth the $40 for what it is (there's a shocker). They had some clear Otterbox cases that were similarly priced that offered better protection at the cost of colored silicone around the edge and a noticeably thicker case. I do love the Spigen case I have for my Pixel 3 that is clear, however, it also stains super easily and is completely blue around the edges from being in my jeans for almost 10 months and the case itself has gone from clear to a weird yellowish-green color as well. If you pick up at the Apple Store and don't want to walk out without a good case, I'd say for $0.95 more get the Otterbox Lumen instead. Definitely more protection, even grippier, and just a really good case though you might be frustrated with the colors if you opted for Midnight Green like I did as the only color that doesn't look odd is the black (or if you just want to rock the Christmas look all year with the red).

Definitely will take some getting used to coming from the 6S, what with losing TouchID and a home button. I am not a fan of swiping up from bottom yet and having to not swipe fully but hold it to close apps...

I’m sure I’ll forget all about the home button in a couple months.

I just got my 11 coming from a 6S. It's taken all but a week to get used to the size and I LOVE the face id.

It's better in every way IMO. Anyone wanting TouchID is being dense and/or has some weird use case. It's faster, you don't need to worry about wearing gloves, and it almost never has issues even if you are wearing a hat/glasses.

Got the New Pro Max last night. Happy to have a larger phone again. Camera is awesome.

I just got my 11 coming from a 6S. It's taken all but a week to get used to the size and I LOVE the face id.
My wife did the exact same upgrade last week and has been very satisfied with the purchase. Camera is great and launches faster. Which matters because her job as a Kindergarten teacher requires split second picture choices. Battery life also great. Another thing is that, for some unknown reason, fingerprint scanners stop working over time for the wife and then she has to enter pin. Face id is very fast and works much better for her.

My wife did the exact same upgrade last week and has been very satisfied with the purchase. Camera is great and launches faster. Which matters because her job as a Kindergarten teacher requires split second picture choices. Battery life also great. Another thing is that, for some unknown reason, fingerprint scanners stop working over time for the wife and then she has to enter pin. Face id is very fast and works much better for her.

You all are lucky then, I have more issues with FaceID than TouchID... and don't any of you dare tell me I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I have THAT face or something... It (FaceID) is not "better," in my opinion and uses, which also includes a Note9 that also has the same issues with facial recognition at times. It's the only negative I have for the phone, but is not enough to make me hate it because all of the other features and enhancements are beyond improved vs the 6S.

Also, has anyone noticed inconsistencies with Night Mode? I've noticed certain shots look better than ones I wouldn't have expected to look so bad. Poor to no lighting indoors vs decent lighting outdoors. Tried different exposure times and still too noisy and poor quality outdoors vs nice looking indoors. This could be a situation where I'm doing it wrong, as I'm still learning best situations to use certain features.

Back