iPhone 11

Krenum

Fully [H]
Check out Apple's new iPhone 11

iphone.jpg

Moar Camera's!

Link to the real phone here:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-introduces-dual-camera-iphone-11/

My iPhone 6 plus is finally crapping out on me. It's half a decade old, so I'm not too surprised. Looks like it's time to upgrade. I wish someone would announce how much RAM the different models have so I can figure out which one to order.

LOL! One day it'll get that bad if they can courage enough connection plugs and thinness out. Love how they don't mention battery life beyond 'all day battery'. Wow.. like any other phone with a decent battery? Is this the most 'meh' update they've done so far?
I'll stick with my 6000mAh V10, thank you!

I wish someone would announce how much RAM the different models have so I can figure out which one to order.

Specs are all out there. Use Google.
XI has 4GB.
Both Pro models have 6GB.
Although I'll state that RAM probably won't make a difference until the device is obsolete anyway. The 8 which they still will sell has 2GB of RAM. As did the 7 and the 6S before it. All of which still run just fine. The RAM will only matter primarily in app switching. The lower RAM models will be more aggressive in terms of placing software into save states. All of them will be able to run the same apps for a good long while.
Considering both the X and XS models have 4GB, I'd imagine the jump to 6GB won't have really any tangible differences in iOS for a few years.

You would've done that anyway. This phone could be the best phone ever made, you still wouldn't be buying it.

All the specs are literally on the website. 16 hours of video on the XI and 17 on the Pro. A claimed 4 hour increase on the Pro models vs last years'.
Apparently you're not [H]ard enough to use Google. Or enough to even just go to the Apple website.
https://www.apple.com/iphone-11/specs/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-11-pro/specs/

Last edited:
Specs are all out there. Use Google.
I actually did go looking. All I could find were sites that guessed, or rumors, or "Our analysts claim...". Nobody seemed to actually KNOW. All that anyone seems to have is benchmarks leaked from back before the phones actually came out.

4GB would be fine. That's 4x what I have now, and would likely solve my issues with large web pages. Even the [H] can crash Safari/Chrome If I hit a page full of .GIFs with 40 PPP set. 9gag and Facebook are pretty much no-gos, and I've gotta browse Reddit while logged in, 'cause the default site there kicks my phone's ass too. Just a down side to using hardware for so long. It gets obsolete.

And speaking of obsolete, I'm a little surprised that Apple didn't release a lot of anticipated features on this gen of iPhone. No 5G, only 18W charging, no USB-C connector, no using the iPhone to charge another Qi device, only 12MP... And then there's the value proposition. Compared to the current-gen alternatives, there's less RAM and less storage and you're charged a lot more for it. In a spec war, the Apple phone would be obliterated. Hell, if I didn't deal with both Android and iOS devices on a regular basis, I'd probably be giving up on Apple myself this go-around. Yeah, specs don't tell the whole story. But the feature list that's missing is starting to get pretty severe.

I actually did go looking. All I could find were sites that guessed, or rumors, or "Our analysts claim...". Nobody seemed to actually KNOW. All that anyone seems to have is benchmarks leaked from back before the phones actually came out.

4GB would be fine. That's 4x what I have now, and would likely solve my issues with large web pages. Even the [H] can crash Safari/Chrome If I hit a page full of .GIFs with 40 PPP set. 9gag and Facebook are pretty much no-gos, and I've gotta browse Reddit while logged in, 'cause the default site there kicks my phone's ass too. Just a down side to using hardware for so long. It gets obsolete.

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_11-9848.php
https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_11_pro-9847.php
All here. Done.

And speaking of obsolete, I'm a little surprised that Apple didn't release a lot of anticipated features on this gen of iPhone. No 5G, only 18W charging, no USB-C connector, no using the iPhone to charge another Qi device, only 12MP...

5G is premature. The chipsets for it are all terrible, take way too much power, and there isn't any 5G to connect to. Even Verizon trying to promote 5G can't even fully cover the Football stadiums they're using to tout their connection superiority in.
12MP is enough to use in order to create prints for the cover of Sports Illustrated. High MP is overrated, in comparison with more important features such as dynamic range, high ISO capabilities, and more accurate color. Apple has consistently been rated among the best in terms of camera features year after year. That is undisputed. With 12MP they're more or less going to dominate videography in your pocket with 1:1 4k. Increasing MP and having to use pixel binning or other forms of downsampling just makes video look soft. You may not like the priorities, but they're that way for a reason. The processing power also matters a lot. Apple is using HEVC h.265 and generally has higher bit rate with higher compression. Additionally things like Filmic allow for full blown Video RAW, which in this phone will be quite capable, if that fits something you want or need.
For reference, photography/videography is my profession. This isn't an uniformed opinion.

As for the rest, there was pretty much no surprises here. The rumor mill with Ming Chi-Kuo and the rest pretty much have predicted on the money every spec on this phone about 2-3 months ago. 5G is slated for 2020. Minimized notch also. As well as possible screen TouchID in 2021. 2020 is shaping up to be a bigger year in terms of iPhone evolution. But reading the news, I already knew that long before today. If you want or need that stuff, then simply wait a year. I'm more than likely skipping this year myself, knowing before hand that this is what we'd get. All the way down to the cameras.

And then there's the value proposition. Compared to the current-gen alternatives, there's less RAM and less storage and you're charged a lot more for it. In a spec war, the Apple phone would be obliterated. Hell, if I didn't deal with both Android and iOS devices on a regular basis, I'd probably be giving up on Apple myself this go-around. Yeah, specs don't tell the whole story. But the feature list that's missing is starting to get pretty severe.

In the spec war, Apple is still far ahead of the game. The A13 is undoubtedly the fastest cellphone processor. If you actually care about what your phone does and not what a piece of paper says then Apple's value proposition is fine. It's true that you get "more ram" and "more space" on competing Android phones. I won't dispute that. But you certainly won't get more performance.
If you care more about a tech doc then what your phone actually does, then get what suits you.

If you care more about having a 6000mAH battery, but still having the same battery life as an iPhone that has 3100mAH. Then go with another option.
If you want to have 12GB of RAM instead of 6GB even without any performance difference (or often worse performance). Then go with another option.
If you want higher MP cameras but never make a print and only post to Instagram (that would actually necessitate more pixels) and have worse video quality. Then go with another option.

So far, I haven't seen any spec on any Android device that's a must have. "Nice to haves" personally aren't good enough. (For balance: I think the only feature that some select Android phones have beat Apple to that I really want and that I'm actually surprised about is 90 and 120Hz displays. After Apple put "Pro Motion" on iPad Pro in 2017, I figured they'd have it on their phones quick, but they missed that boat. I'm sure it will happen eventually. The rest of the specs on top Android phones have done little to interest me).

You acknowledge at least in part that "specs" are a very narrow view of the story. You have to decide with your dollars whether that actually matters or not. Undoubtedly the Pixel 4 will be a great device and the speed differences between devices will likely not matter in actual usage between devices (except for geekbench whores and Samsung... because TouchWiz continues to be garbage that eventually slows down even the fastest of phones).

The iPhone 11 is clearly iterative. It's all that it needed to be or had to be for this generation. I'll continue to buy them simply because they're bulletproof, live for 5+ years, and do what I want and need to do in the most efficient manner possible. That's my category. If all that doesn't fit your criteria then taking the alternatives is just fine.
The gap from my view hasn't widened at all. It's always been about maturity for Apple and it's always been about bleeding edge from Android. Nothing has changed in that regard in 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liver
like this
Not sure what's there, exactly. That link doesn't talk about the RAM at all. I DO love that site, though.
edit: New link. Thank ya kindly!

5G is premature. The chipsets for it are all terrible, take way too much power, and there isn't any 5G to connect to. Even Verizon trying to promote 5G can't even fully cover the Football stadiums they're using to tout their connection superiority in.
Yeah, I've been talking about how much 5G is going to suck for a while now. It's not a Verizon problem, it's a standards problem. mmWave simply can't penetrate ANYTHING. It's a great connection if you've got line-of-sight to the eNode, but even a leaf is enough to kill it. Thankfully, LTE fallback is great, so while you won't stay connected to 5G, your average connection speed will still be higher than 4G.

12MP is enough to use in order to create prints for the cover of Sports Illustrated. High MP is overrated, in comparison with more important features such as dynamic range, high ISO capabilities, and more accurate color. Apple has consistently been rated among the best in terms of camera features year after year. That is undisputed. With 12MP they're more or less going to dominate videography in your pocket with 1:1 4k. Increasing MP and having to use pixel binning or other forms of downsampling just makes video look soft. You may not like the priorities, but they're that way for a reason.
For reference, photography/videography is my profession. This isn't an uniformed opinion.
This is dependent on your application. I, for example, use my D750 for photogrammetry. I purchased the D750 specifically because my iPhone's camera was trash for my use case, and even on that camera I have to "turn off" 90% of the features to get the kind of shots I need. Upgrading to a D850 would provide me with a great boost to my model accuracy as a result of the increased pixel count, and I've strongly considered it. Granted, I wasn't looking for D850-level of pixels, but being able to just pull out my phone and snap some shots instead of unpacking and racking the full-frame would have been nice. And I was kinda hoping that at least one of the lenses would be good for macro shots or isometric.

The A13 is undoubtedly the fastest cellphone processor. If you actually care about what your phone does and not what a piece of paper says then Apple's value proposition is fine. It's true that you get "more ram" and "more space" on competing Android phones. I won't dispute that. But you certainly won't get more performance.
I agree 100%. The A11 in my work phone is great, and I can only imagine that the A13 is going to be better. Apple's SoC game is on-point. Gotta hand it to 'em.

If you care more about a tech doc then what your phone actually does, then get what suits you.

If you care more about having a 6000mAH battery, but still having the same battery life as an iPhone that has 3500mAH. Then do so.
If you want to have 12GB of RAM instead of 6GB even without any performance difference (or often worse performance). Then do so.
If you want higher MP cameras but never make a print and only post to Instagram (that would actually necessitate more pixels) and have worse video quality. Then do so.
Once again, I agree.

It's always been about maturity for Apple and it's always been about bleeding edge from Android. Nothing has changed in that regard in 10 years.
That's the thing, though. Apple should be leading this space, not playing catch-up. Why slowly loose market share if you don't have to? It's not like they don't have the expertise or the money. They just seem to lack the drive. Damnit, they should have the 50-minutes-to-full-charge for their phones, not the Chinese guys. They should be able to put a nicer sensor behind the camera. They should be able to charge your earbuds or sap power from the case on the go. And where the hell is the Airpad they were building? And then there's the iPad Pro... Having a single trim of a single model line use a different connector is bizarre marketing - Especially when it shares said trim level with a different product line. Instead, they have their hardware guys focus on what? Thinner phones? Who gives a shit about that? Who has EVER given a shit about that? If it meant getting a better phone, I'd be completely OK with having something as thick as the old Nokia 3310s. "Oh, but it's got a custom CNC'd all-glass back!" Great. Does that mean it's less destructible? Does it increase the grip? Reduce fatigue? Why the hell do I care, exactly?

The iPhone 11 is clearly iterative. It's all that it needed to be or had to be for this generation. I'll continue to buy them simply because they're bulletproof, live for 5+ years, and do what I want and need to do in the most efficient manner possible. That's my category. If all that doesn't fit your criteria then taking the alternatives is just fine. The gap from my view hasn't widened at all.
And I'll be buying one because

1) I'm locked into the ecosystem
2) I use both Android and iOS daily and like iOS better
3) I've been happy with my experiences so far

I'm not an Apple hater by any means. But I hate that you have to dig so hard to find value in their products these days.

Last edited:
Not sure what's there, exactly. That link doesn't talk about the RAM at all. I DO love that site, though.

Yeah, I've been talking about how much 5G is going to suck for a while now. It's not a Verizon problem, it's a standards problem. mmWave simply can't penetrate ANYTHING. It's a great connection if you've got line-of-sight to the eNode, but even a leaf is enough to kill it. Thankfully, LTE fallback is great, so while you won't stay connected to 5G, your average connection speed will still be higher than 4G.

This is dependent on your application. I, for example, use my D750 for photogrammetry. I purchased the D750 specifically because my iPhone's camera was trash for my use case, and even on that camera I have to "turn off" 90% of the features to get the kind of shots I need. Upgrading to a D850 would provide me with a great boost to my model accuracy as a result of the increased pixel count, and I've strongly considered it. Granted, I wasn't looking for D850-level of pixels, but being able to just pull out my phone and snap some shots instead of unpacking and racking the full-frame would have been nice. And I was kinda hoping that at least one of the lenses would be good for macro shots or isometric.

I agree 100%. The A11 in my work phone is great, and I can only imagine that the A13 is going to be better. Apple's SoC game is on-point. Gotta hand it to 'em.

Once again, I agree.

That's the thing, though. Apple should be leading this space, not playing catch-up. Why slowly loose market share if you don't have to? It's not like they don't have the expertise or the money. They just seem to lack the drive. Damnit, they should have the 50-minutes-to-full-charge for their phones, not the Chinese guys. They should be able to put a nicer sensor behind the camera. They should be able to charge your earbuds or sap power from the case on the go. And where the hell is the Airpad they were building? And then there's the iPad Pro... Having a single trim of a single model line use a different connector is bizarre marketing - Especially when it shares said trim level with a different product line. Instead, they have their hardware guys focus on what? Thinner phones? Who gives a shit about that? Who has EVER given a shit about that? If it meant getting a better phone, I'd be completely OK with having something as thick as the old Nokia 3310s. "Oh, but it's got a custom CNC'd all-glass back!" Great. Does that mean it's less destructible? Does it increase the grip? Reduce fatigue? Why the hell do I care, exactly?

And I'll be buying one because

1) I'm locked into the ecosystem
2) I use both Android and iOS daily and like iOS better
3) I've been happy with my experiences so far

I'm not an Apple hater by any means. But I hate that you have to dig so hard to find value in their products these days.

There were edits I added. Sorry. I tend to do that a lot. But I won't add any others now that you've posted after it.

Yeah, I've been talking about how much 5G is going to suck for a while now. It's not a Verizon problem, it's a standards problem. mmWave simply can't penetrate ANYTHING. It's a great connection if you've got line-of-sight to the eNode, but even a leaf is enough to kill it.
EDIT: That was essentially my point. 5G isn't worth implementing when it itself isn't mature out in the marketplace. Teething issues are taking place in terms of coverage, modems, amongst other things. Even next year when it is implemented on iPhones, I doubt it will make any real difference in comparison to what we currently have available. And next year people will complain that yeah 5g is finally in an iPhone, but it still "won't be a feature worth upgrading my current phone for." It's always a moving target. And everyone will never be satisfied.

I think people know what they're going to buy. General consumers aren't even looking at the specs. Most iPhone users will continue to be iPhone users. Most Android users the same. Both sides have grievances. And I have friends that have switched both directions for their own reasons.
People tend to change the most when there is a problem. The specs don't sway as much, but I suppose being "the best at something" goes a long way. iPhone buyers know they'll get "the fastest phone" and have "the best camera" (debatable of course, but always within the top 3).
Android has top market share because there are dozens of companies making phones. If you're only comparing one companies phones to iPhone, then Apple actually has the highest marketshare. I think it's important to note that, as another way of saying that is that Apple still is the preferred for a majority. No other single company could capture that level of audience even still with only being 15%+/- of the total market.

This phenomenon has advantages on the Android side, at least for arguments because then it's always possible to argue that an esoteric Android device has features that iPhones do not. Even if that feature set is exclusive to a niche Android phone. Most Android phones don't have OLED (which I guess maybe they do if you're looking at flagships only), higher than 60Hz displays, headphone jacks, expandable storage, more than 8GB of RAM, or 6000+mAH batteries. But you can find separate phones with all those features. On balance then, I'd say that Apple stands up quite well versus the marketplace. Considering they only really sell "one phone" at three structured brackets every year compared to the many varieties that Samsung puts out as an example. They still give and do the most for the maximum amount of users.

As for the camera, I think the sensor is really nice. Bigger pixels matter a lot. Putting in some 64MP sensor wouldn't really net any benefits to people who are just using Instagram and FB anyway. There is functionally no difference between a 12MP and 64MP sensor in that scenario. The bigger pixels with better ISO will be better for more than resolution. But I've already talked about the camera enough in previous posts.

Airpower is dead. That was official around half a year ago. MKBHD talked about it, but there is also other sources you could read up. The short answer is it's not technically possible to squeeze in that many power coils into something and not have overheating issues. Which the electrical engineers (as I heard it) warned Apple about from the start.

As for the rest of this I'll be honest, it's basically just a rant (including the distinctions on the iPad Pro). But to put it in a few words, people buy phones as a fashionable device. And that's true on both sides. Let's be clear: Samsung's new shiny rainbow backs aren't to increase grip or make it less destructable. You may not care about aesthetics but it's a big reason why people buy Apple, but it's also a big reason why people buy things period. Very few don't care about aesthetics as much as we don't want to admit it. Design matters. And Apple has since its inception been about design. It's a large part of their ethos. You're okay with having a thicker phone. And some other power users also don't care either. But a lot of people do. And this phone is for many people, not just the niche that doesn't care.

EDIT: As a side note, I will say that Apple does lead. But generally with its own tech and its own time. There still isn't a competitor to FaceID as an example or the dot projector behind it. Earpods were a "new thing" which soon everyone else copied. This has been done dozens of times. Some times, a lot of the time even, other companies are first to market over Apple. But their goal isn't to be first, their goal is to have a cohesive mature implementation. Android had fingerprint ID first, but Apple was the first to do it right with TouchID, an implementation that felt instant. That's just a few examples, but this trend continues. The bleeding edge isn't always better. I still would rather have the system that "just works". Android can have the bleeding edge, and the users that are on it obviously feel that they prefer that too.

Last edited:
LOL! One day it'll get that bad if they can courage enough connection plugs and thinness out.

If wireless charging ever gets really good, I don't see why not. Things like Airdrop are fast and simple. I don't know anyone who sync's data with their computer anymore.

Love how they don't mention battery life beyond 'all day battery'. Wow.. like any other phone with a decent battery?

...But they did. Right in the presentation. Up to 4 hours more on the 11 and 11 Pro, and up to 5 hours more on the Pro Max.

K.

I want to see this giving downward price pressure on the iPhone XR.

If you want to buy mine, you might be able to tempt me to upgrade. Black. Complete in box. No accessories used (all included). Case and tempered glass screen protector since day one (literally applied at the Apple store in front of Apple reps lol).

Maybe my sister will finally get off of her 5S. Cracked screen and a digitizer that is less than responsive. She replaced the battery last year so that’s good ish at least.

I’ll stick on my 8+ which is not far off from the non pro 11. I’ll be more interested when touchID can be in the screen.

Best mobile phone in my opinion would be a iPhone 5 body style with a no-bezel display and the latest hardware.

I still think the 5 size was perfect, and it was a nice looking phone as well. I really wish they'd just modernize it. Even the iPhone SE is getting too old at this point.

Got myself a pre-order slot this morning for a Midnight Green 11 Pro Max and a Gold 11 Pro. Now to decide if I should go with a green leather case for the lulz, or a clear one from Totallee (thinnest, highest quality cases in the business, check them out).

I couldn't justify the funds for the Pro (since I only ever max the storage for phones, and would have only gone for the Max in size), but I placed my order for a 256 GB vanilla 11. Kinda excited at the photo/video possibilities this time around, might actually start filming my kids more. Plus, my wife loves to FaceTime me when I'm on the toilet* so now she will be able see my strained face in better detail...

Usually just to break up the monotony of the day, we're not into that stuff.

I am happy with my X but looking to upgrade some family members to the 11. Seems like a solid bang for buck (in the Apple universe).

Dpreview put out an article on all the tech behind iPhone 11 cameras, which I'll note is far more than meets the eye.
I think this really highlights why iPhone is consistently in the top echelons of mobile photography/videography. A lot of this stuff I didn't even know about.

Tagging TeeJay, as I think reading over this article really shows how Apple is still very much a tech forward company still rivaling and competing with other companies.
I think you'll be happy with your 11 Pros. Heck, this article makes me want to upgrade and I'm more than happy with my XR that I got about 5 months ago.

EDIT: Review roundup: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/17/iphone-11-pro-review-roundup/
The consensus is that the camera is better than the S10 and Pixel 3, and battery life is among the best.

Last edited:
You didn't note that your reference to s4/s5 is the Apple watch.
The major update to the Apple watch is in fact the display. Allowing for always on while sipping battery life (LTPO) as well as the microprocessor that drives it. That piece of hardware allows for a 1-60fps variable refresh rate. The other major change is having an internal compass.

Sad news on iPhone RAM. But like I stated more than once: I didn't think it would make a difference. Seems Apple didn't either.

FYI; ran across this today. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/18/xcode-2019-iphones-4gb-ram-confirmed/

tl,dr:
all 2019 iphone's are 4gb ram
only difference between s4 and s5 is the 32gb nand (vs 16) and the gyro
new 10.2" ipad has 3gb ram
Update to this was posted recently. The 4GB is what's available to the OS. It looks like there might be additional memory dedicated to the camera setup. They're still working through it, but should know by Friday when iFixIt tears one down.

Definitely will take some getting used to coming from the 6S, what with losing TouchID and a home button. I am not a fan of swiping up from bottom yet and having to not swipe fully but hold it to close apps...

I’m sure I’ll forget all about the home button in a couple months.

Update to this was posted recently. The 4GB is what's available to the OS. It looks like there might be additional memory dedicated to the camera setup. They're still working through it, but should know by Friday when iFixIt tears one down.
Not sure why they’d separate it. I feel like having unified RAM would be more beneficial than a 4+2 setup.

Definitely will take some getting used to coming from the 6S, what with losing TouchID and a home button. I am not a fan of swiping up from bottom yet and having to not swipe fully but hold it to close apps...

I’m sure I’ll forget all about the home button in a couple months.

You’ll get used to it. Honestly, I far prefer it.

I’m really digging the midnight green, it’s very nice in person. I liked the rear side presentation when opening the box as well. The newer matte finish on the rear will deter fingerprints far better I’d wager.

43640021-0792-4256-B480-0DA8474D8FBE.jpeg

Attachments

• CD0C43E6-80BD-42E1-AB0B-DE4EE462C57D.jpeg
    CD0C43E6-80BD-42E1-AB0B-DE4EE462C57D.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
The midnight green color is actually very slick but a lot less green than I expected. If someone put the phone down in front of me and I just glanced at it I would think it’s Space Gray. It’s not until you look at it closely or have a Space Gray next to it that you can tell it’s got a hint of green.

I am happy with my X but looking to upgrade some family members to the 11. Seems like a solid bang for buck (in the Apple universe).

I went from X to Pro - it’s a fine upgrade. Not huge. Camera is a bit nicer, night shots are incredible, and apps load faster. I’ll probably upgrade next year if the rumors of what the 12 will be like pan out.

I went from X to Pro - it’s a fine upgrade. Not huge. Camera is a bit nicer, night shots are incredible, and apps load faster. I’ll probably upgrade next year if the rumors of what the 12 will be like pan out.
Don’t buy into the hype for the 2020 iPhone or else you’ll come out underwhelmed due to the artificial hype built around the phone. Most of the rumors for the 2020 iPhones started with the 2018 iPhones. It’s very unlikely Apple will incorporate everything off the laundry list of rumored features. I honestly think next year we’ll see the same design, same notch, reverse wireless charging will be implemented, FaceID will be slightly better again, base storage increased to 128GB, some camera improvements, A14 obviously, probably a jump to 6GB of ram in the Pros, and USB-C. They’ll also probably include a 5G iPhone for a stupid dumb price (like $1499+ for the base storage 5.8” model).

In 2021 I think they’ll finally move to ProMotion OLED displays with integrated TouchID. This is probably where we’ll see the first major redesign since the iPhone X in 2017. Which makes sense since there were 4 years of the iPhone 6/6S/7/8 models. I don’t think they’ll go the same route of releasing another super premium iPhone X type phone in 2020 (other than the aforementioned 5G capable iPhone).

Don’t buy into the hype for the 2020 iPhone or else you’ll come out underwhelmed due to the artificial hype built around the phone. Most of the rumors for the 2020 iPhones started with the 2018 iPhones. It’s very unlikely Apple will incorporate everything off the laundry list of rumored features. I honestly think next year we’ll see the same design, same notch, reverse wireless charging will be implemented, FaceID will be slightly better again, base storage increased to 128GB, some camera improvements, A14 obviously, probably a jump to 6GB of ram in the Pros, and USB-C. They’ll also probably include a 5G iPhone for a stupid dumb price (like $1499+ for the base storage 5.8” model).

In 2021 I think they’ll finally move to ProMotion OLED displays with integrated TouchID. This is probably where we’ll see the first major redesign since the iPhone X in 2017. Which makes sense since there were 4 years of the iPhone 6/6S/7/8 models. I don’t think they’ll go the same route of releasing another super premium iPhone X type phone in 2020 (other than the aforementioned 5G capable iPhone).

This is entirely possible. Until the tech exists to extend under the screen fingerprint scanners to more than a tiny spot on the screen I don't see Apple adopting it. While that might happen next year I would not be at all surprised if it took until 2021 for it to be ready. ProMotion could go either way. A 90-95hz screen could be a good way to set the base and pro models of the 12 apart. It would be more likely to happen if Apple were to decide to upgrade the base model's screen to an OLED.

5G might not even be a thing until 2021, unless they license Qualcomm's 5G modem and 5G is at a point where they believe it is worth the investment. Otherwise they will wait until they get their recently purchased modem division up to snuff, which will probably be the next year.

If Apple rolls all the rumored features into the 12 I'd bet a large portion of them would be exclusive to the Pro model, pushing the Pro price up higher and giving it a more distinct advantage over the base model. Like give the 12 Pro/Pro Max more RAM, USB-C, ProMotion, and 5G. While the base could get the 11 Pro's camera upgrades, an OLED screen, keep it at lightening but maybe throw in an 18w charger. If TouchID were to return that could go into both or be another Pro only feature. It would push the Pro's price higher while also making it seem more like a phone worth the name. Though, all of that is just speculation and, like you said, unlikely.

So far it looks like my 11 Pro is fairing better than my XS did cell reception wise. I’d say it is equal if not slightly better than the QC modem that was in my X. But I’ll have to test further.

Still undecided about moving to the Max. I did not have this much trouble adjusting from my X to the XS Max as I do from my X to the 11 Pro Max. I’ll give it a couple weeks (the return period) and if necessary will swap to the regular 11 Pro.

So far it looks like my 11 Pro is fairing better than my XS did cell reception wise. I’d say it is equal if not slightly better than the QC modem that was in my X. But I’ll have to test further.

Still undecided about moving to the Max. I did not have this much trouble adjusting from my X to the XS Max as I do from my X to the 11 Pro Max. I’ll give it a couple weeks (the return period) and if necessary will swap to the regular 11 Pro.

Went Max this time myself as well. I always had the Plus versions of the phones but for the XS, I decided to go smaller because the screen real estate was nice but I didn’t have to reach or use it two handed.

I use my phone a lot, for work, videos, etc., the extra size of the Max was appealing and I’m pretty glad I upgraded. I do think there’s still a bit of an adjustment period in my near future, but I’m enjoying the extra screen so far.

Went Max this time myself as well. I always had the Plus versions of the phones but for the XS, I decided to go smaller because the screen real estate was nice but I didn’t have to reach or use it two handed.

I use my phone a lot, for work, videos, etc., the extra size of the Max was appealing and I’m pretty glad I upgraded. I do think there’s still a bit of an adjustment period in my near future, but I’m enjoying the extra screen so far.
Yeah the more I use it the more I’m getting accustomed to the size. The Max also has better battery life than the regular Pro so have to take that into consideration too.

But on the topic of battery life...holy shit. With my iPhone X I usually ended the day under 10% or had to charge at least once on heavier usage days. My 11 Pro Max ends with about 30-40% battery with heavy usage the past two days. Crazy good battery life!

The battery on the Max is nuts. I used mine all day Saturday off the charger. I put it on my wireless charging pad when I went to bed that night with about 35% left. I use an alarm clock app that keeps my screen on all night (very dimly). I woke up the next morning and noticed my battery was at 25%. I forgot to plug in the wireless charging pad and it stayed on all night long. This has happened with my XS Max before and it didn't make it through the night. I couldn't believe that I still had 25% left.

I pre-purchased an 11 on Wednesday to replace my 6 (not 6s) and picked it up on Friday. After setting it up over the weekend, which took some getting used to, I really like it. The photos are much better than my >5yo phone/camera. My apps run much, much faster. I'm a power user of technology, and my iPhone 6 was frustratingly laggy. My girlfriend was sick of me complaining about my slow phone for the past year. I also got her an 11 to replace her 6s, but her color choice (green) is apparently backordered for another week or two. She's not happy with me right now. :-D

I installed a new battery in my 6 last year during the Apple battery-fiasco, and I still ended up using my battery case to run the phone during the last few hours of the day. So far, the 11 has held up to my demands without needing much in the way of a recharge, but it's only been a few days. Even when downloading all of my pending podcasts (>50GB worth) the battery still looked good. Only when playing my most demanding game did I notice a dip in the battery and the back of the case heating up. That same game on my 6 was about 10 times as slow and used 1% of the battery every minute.

It's really good, the brightness is what has impressed me the most. The iPhone X/XS display really couldn't get bright enough to be useful in sunny conditions. This new display can, however. Not to mention the HDR actually works now, it's not on the ragged edge of being acceptable for HDR like the prior phones.

Back