IPCOP vs Smoothwall

cooter

Gawd
I am in the process of upgrading my IPCOP box (had newer faster computer laying around). The current setup is as follows:

IPCOP
AMD 750 mhz
256 RAM
1 GB NIC to Green (LAN)
1 GB NIC to Orange (DMZ)
100 MB NIC to RED (Internet)
100 MB NIC to Blue (Wirelesss)

The switch on the Green subnet is a 10 port Gigabit managed switch (Dell 5012).
The wireless router is a Netgear 802.11g on the Blue Subnet.

I am going to be upgrading to:
Intel PIII 933 mhz
512 MB RAM
1 GB NIC to Green (LAN)
1 GB NIC to Orange (DMZ)
100 MB NIC to RED (Internet)
DLink DWL-G520 802.11g Wireless NIC to Blue (Wireless)

The switch on the green subnet will be the same.
Will no longer need a wireless router. I am hoping that I can figure out how to set up and configure the Wireless AP Addon for IPCOP to manage all the wireless out of IPCOP.

The primary reason for the upgrade is because my blue interface will be going from a NIC to a wireless NIC with the Wireless AP addon. I figured why not upgrade the whole thing, I had the parts.

Anyway the question I have today, mainly for those that have used both IPCOP and Smoothwall is which do you feel is a better setup and why. I will be using 4 NIC's (LAN, DMZ, Internet, and Wireless) and this is not for security or business, simply to learn, because I want the coolest network in the neighborhood, and because I can.

I have been using IPCOP for about 4 years and I am definetely happy with IPCOP and the support on the IPCOP forums is pretty good. Does anyone know of a good comparison of the two that I could review. I spent hours last night trying to find info on it but I couldn't get anything good.

So again, is there any benefits to moving to Smoothwall?

If your happy with IPCop and it's doing everything you want it to do ..then I say just stick with it ..

I have used IPCop in the past ..and gave Endian a try as well ..but keep going back to Smoothwall because it can do everything I need it to do and the community is great for getting problems solved and even creating new mods to get what you want accomplished done..

With SW3 using the 2.6 kernel, using the same mods that I used in SW2 , it seems to run faster now .. I don't have any numbers or anything, just purely subjective.(2.6celery w/768megs ram, 20GB hdd)

IPCop is a great distro, I just prefer Smoothwall for the community support and I am more familiar with it's guts I guess...

[F]old|[H]ard

I prefer the *nix distros that give you UTM features...antivirus/spam/antimalware scanning, etc. So I'd go with IPCop w/Copfilter...or Endian, or Untangle.

If you've used it for 4 years you must know lots about it so I wouldn't want to mess around learning another.

Also, you can back up your configuration file and then upload it to the new box.

ipcop is a great platform, but it really needs to integrate copfilter into its base setup.

but yes, ipcop and copfilter and a handfull of addons make ipcop a great device

ive been using it for about 2 years now. and love it!

How hard is it to integrate Copfilter in a vanilla IPCop install?

For the record I use IPCop and runs great and never needed anything else. I tried SW but was directed to IPCop due to the features and expandability that was not available in SW.

I have not tried copfilter mainly because we have almost no issue with spyware or virus's at the house.

The only addon I am currently using is the WLAN-AP addon which is great!!! (at least once you figure out how to install it and get a card that works with it).

I may take a look at copfilter just for grins on of these days.

Back