IPcop question

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
im going to be setting up an IPcop box pretty soon but im a bit confused about the setup. Right now i have a simple home network 4 or 5 computers connecting to an WRT54g some of them are connected to the switch others use the wireless. Now im not planning to use the Orange or Blue networks just the green for ipcop to start with, Now for the wired users im planning to hook the IPcop nic to one of the switchports on the WRT54g and just use it as a switch but how would i be able to let the wireless users hop onto the network. Im thinking i would need a wireless ap and connect it to one of the switch ports.

Also should i scrap the WRT54g and get a regular switch + wireless ap?

no, the WRT54G will work just fine. Turn off the DHCP server on it and assign it an IP like the following:
192.168.1.1 - IP COP
192.168.1.2 - WRT546

just take the line out of hte IPcop box and put it into the switch part of the WRT54G. Connect your clients as needed and it should work without problems. What your not doing now is though, using the "internet" port on teh WRT54G. Your IPCOP box is doing that now, along with DHCP.

I have basically the exact setup you have. If you want I can post my IPCOP config file for you to send to your floppy disk. When you install IPCOP on your machine all you will have to do is load the floppy and then assign Green or Red to each network card.

LoStMaTt said:
I have basically the exact setup you have. If you want I can post my IPCOP config file for you to send to your floppy disk. When you install IPCOP on your machine all you will have to do is load the floppy and then assign Green or Red to each network card.

so what does your setup look like now, did you set it up like Ezekial said?

Ezekial said:
no, the WRT54G will work just fine. Turn off the DHCP server on it and assign it an IP like the following:
192.168.1.1 - IP COP
192.168.1.2 - WRT546

just take the line out of hte IPcop box and put it into the switch part of the WRT54G. Connect your clients as needed and it should work without problems. What your not doing now is though, using the "internet" port on teh WRT54G. Your IPCOP box is doing that now, along with DHCP.

and the wireless part of the router will still work right, it would be just like an AP?

AMD_Gamer said:
and the wireless part of the router will still work right, it would be just like an AP?
Yep. You can turn any wireless router into an AP by simply turning off its DHCP, giving it a static IP, and using the switch ports.

movax said:
Yep. You can turn any wireless router into an AP by simply turning off its DHCP, giving it a static IP, and using the switch ports.

cool i never knew that everything should work fine then

Back