IPCop issues

Ibanez3434

Bad Trader
Ok, so I finally got IPCop up, but now my connection SUCKS. I have about 10 computers on it. Whenever I go to a website, the HD in the IPCop box goes crazy. I guess it's just making logs and such. But I ran Cnet bandwidth meter and I only got this,
http://brianswebsite.no-ip.com/pics/[h]/WTF_M8.jpg
My connection is 4000/384 (Comcast), And with my old router I would get those speeds on tests. Also (it could be the server) I am DL a BF2 demo as a test, and it is Dl at 15kps. My IPcop box is a Pi200 with 64MB ram, and a 1.5 GB HD. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.

I had the same issue here not to long ago. It turned out to be something with the hardware. I ended up changing one of the nics and the HDD and I got my connection speeds back. The card that was switched out was an oldie and so was the HDD.

My old IPCop box was a 233MHz PII with 128MB RAM, and a 2.3GB Quantum HDD. I used two 3c509 NICs and I had no trouble.

Are you using squid by any chance?

I just tried it on a PII 350, same NIC's. Same Problem, My Downloads start fast, but go down to about 15kps, no matter what. I tried different boxes, and different websites. I have 2 3c905b-tx's, and 2 tulip cards. I tried both and both pairs did the same thing. No squid, running all default. P2P seems to run fine, but any Downloads are freakin slow! Any other ideas? :confused:

OK, WTF. The problem is my 3com superstack II 3000 Switch. I can connect through a 5 port hub fine and my DL speeds are normal. But when I go through my switch it will stay around 15Kps. Is there anyway I can get it to work with my switch? I was gonna be replacing the switch soon anyways, but this kinda seems weird.

Well I finally got it. I used to have all my copmuters hooked to the 2com switch, and had my 2 main rigs on a seperate 5 port hub, to increase performance on file transfers between them. Worked with my other router. Oh well. Thx for the help anyway.

Make sure you upgrade to 1.4.6. Visit snort.org and register there for your key and enable Intrustion Detection on IPCOP, very affective and fun to look at the logs.

I've never had the pleasure of working with m0n0wall, but I've heard good things about it.

Back