IPCop and WRT54G

Farva

Extremely [H]
I need to allow my wireless to connect my IPCop. I am using a green and red networks. I switched the IP on my Linksys router to 192.168.1.2 and the green network on my IPCop is 192.168.1.1. How can I get my router to communicate with IPCop?

Just run a cable from your Green NIC to one of the routers LAN ports and use the router as a AP, it can also double as a switch. If you want to get a little more fancy you can throw in another NIC and create a Blue zone which if i remember right is IPcops wireless zone (Seperated from the green zone)

Also disable the routers DHCP server as i imagine your IPcop is taking care of that now..

Just run a cable from your Green NIC to one of the routers LAN ports and use the router as a AP, it can also double as a switch. If you want to get a little more fancy you can throw in another NIC and create a Blue zone which if i remember right is IPcops wireless zone (Seperated from the green zone)

Also disable the routers DHCP server as i imagine your IPcop is taking care of that now..

I've tried the cable from the switch to the router, both WAN and LAN. Linksys is running the most current DD-WRT too (forgot to mention that in the first post). It is currently forwarding IPs and is an AP. The reason I want to keep it on the Green network is so I can share files between my wireless and wired machines. I really don't want to create that many pinholes. The main problem I'm having is, the router is not broadcasting the SSID even though it is turned on.

I cannot run a Blue network as this is an old Dell GX150 mATX machine. I don't have that many PCI slots.

I would try Endian too, but I never could figure out how to get the Green (or was it red?) network configured in the setup.

I have actually run a similar setup awhile back, you are going to want to disable the DHCP server in dd-wrt since the ipcop is handing out ips now, and you are going to want to plug into the LAN side of the router and thats pretty much it. Now why its not broadcasting a SSID is a different story, especially is you have SSID broadcasting enabled. Are you able to ping 192.168.1.2 from your desktop pc? This will verify that everything on the wired network is setup right.

I have actually run a similar setup awhile back, you are going to want to disable the DHCP server in dd-wrt since the ipcop is handing out ips now, and you are going to want to plug into the LAN side of the router and thats pretty much it. Now why its not broadcasting a SSID is a different story, especially is you have SSID broadcasting enabled. Are you able to ping 192.168.1.2 from your desktop pc? This will verify that everything on the wired network is setup right.

Yes, the cable is plugged into the LAN currently and IP forwarding is turned on (having 2 machines that are doing DHCP is a bad thing). I can access the Linksys from my wired network, but I can't see it on my wireless. I'll have to check this with another wireless machine I have to make sure my wireless isn't bricked :(

I have to ask:

have you disabled the SPI firewall on the linksys (dd-wrt)

are you using a modded version of linksys ( openWRT,dd-wrt) ?

If not, try disabling the built-in firewall the linksys device has enabled by default.

I can't remember where it is off the top of my head, but if you dig around in the security tab, i believe you might find it.

FYI - SPI stands for Stateful Packet Inspection

If the cable is plugged into a LAN port of the wrt...SPI/firewall is totally irrelevant..you're NOT using the router feature..you're just using the LAN features..basically just using it as an access point. There is no flow through the NAT going from LAN <==>WAN. You're effectively not using any firewall features.

If IPCop is 192.168.1.1, make the wrt 192.168.1.245...disable DHCP on the wrt. Uplink the wrt to the green NIC of your IPCop box using a LAN port. DHCP will flow into it from the IPCop box.

I run this setup often between IPCop, Endian, ISA, RRAS, and/or whatever other router I'm using.

DD-WRT...disable internet connection. Also can flip the WAN port into a standard LAN port in DD-WRT...effectively making your wrt a 5 port switch.

...Linksys is running the most current DD-WRT too (forgot to mention that in the first post)....

are you using a modded version of linksys ( openWRT,dd-wrt) ?

If not, try disabling the built-in firewall the linksys device has enabled by default.

I can't remember where it is off the top of my head, but if you dig around in the security tab, i believe you might find it.

FYI - SPI stands for Stateful Packet Inspection
Check previous post of mine ;)
If the cable is plugged into a LAN port of the wrt...SPI/firewall is totally irrelevant..you're NOT using the router feature..you're just using the LAN features..basically just using it as an access point. There is no flow through the NAT going from LAN <==>WAN. You're effectively not using any firewall features.

If IPCop is 192.168.1.1, make the wrt 192.168.1.245...disable DHCP on the wrt. Uplink the wrt to the green NIC of your IPCop box using a LAN port. DHCP will flow into it from the IPCop box.

I run this setup often between IPCop, Endian, ISA, RRAS, and/or whatever other router I'm using.

DD-WRT...disable internet connection. Also can flip the WAN port into a standard LAN port in DD-WRT...effectively making your wrt a 5 port switch.

So go from IPCop to Linksys, then Linksys to my switch? Hopefully I can get this thing working. It really sucks not being able to use the wireless.

Check previous post of mine ;)

So go from IPCop to Linksys, then Linksys to my switch?

If you need more than the 4x free ports you'll have on your wrt...yes...you can uplink to another switch.

Or if you're using a beefy switch with lots of nodes, or a giga switch for your LAN..uplink that to your IPCop box...and also hang your wrt off of the switch..again, using a LAN port of the wrt.

If you need more than the 4x free ports you'll have on your wrt...yes...you can uplink to another switch.

Or if you're using a beefy switch with lots of nodes, or a giga switch for your LAN..uplink that to your IPCop box...and also hang your wrt off of the switch..again, using a LAN port of the wrt.

I am doing the latter there. I have an 8-port Gb switch....I think my major issue is just trying to see my wireless on this one computer. I'll hopefully check it out with my laptop tonight to see if it is that NIC or if it is my AP.

Ok, turns out I just needed to reinstall the SMC software on the one computer. Installed it and used SMC's software and not Windows Wireless Zero Configuration. Everything is working fine now.

Back