IPCop and QoS and IDS/IPS

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I am looking for a good firewall, and I think IPCop is probably the best one that I could find that does what I need it to with a good interface.

I am looking for a firewall first and foremost.

But, I would like some good IDS capabilities and MUST have good QoS. I do downloading via Bittorrent, VoIP, and web traffic. I also have an internal wireless network which is using WPA and an external wireless network with no encryption (lower QoS). I would like to give priority to HTTP and VoIP. And, of course, I would like to stop any and all traffic that I don't authorize (IM, etc.), only the ports I want open should be open. And (lots of needs with this!), I want to host a server or two off the net connection (website and mail server). And since I work with other peoples (usually infected horribly) PC's, I plan on having another interface for those PC's (and on a separate VLAN).

Yea, I need a lot, but it seems doable.

So, with those needs, I think that IPCop would be good enough. But, would it be enough? Any other recommendations?

-The best QoS is still pfsense. The wizard setup walks you through it and it really is better than any other ones out there. The only bad thing about pfsense is that it does not have any IDS built in, but it does have a very good firewall.
-Second would be Endian IMO. It has a great IDS system and decent QoS out of the box. Very clean interface and distro as well.
-IPCop/Smoothwall would be next, can do great things with mods, but out of the box not as great. Plus even with QoS mods it does not really compare to pfsense.

They all will do your basic firewall (no open ports except what you want open), NAT, DHCP, multiple interfaces, ability to do servers (really just port forwarding...), etc.

I would probably go for pfsense in your situation since most of your needs surround good QoS. IDS is really overrated most of the time anyways for home use IMO. The firewall is good enough on these distros that IDS does not do much.

Agrees with Grentz....PFSense stands above the crowd when it comes to strong traffic shaping/QoS out of the box. Pre-canned settings ready to you to turn on.

what about untangle?

Too high of system requirements, and it seemed slow in my very basic testing. I'm going to try out pfsense in a VM for a bit and see if it does what I want/need. I can give up the IDS features for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can give up the IDS features for now.

Snort is a popular open sourced IDS package that most *nix distro routers have plugins for. The one for PFSense up til now has been somewhat buggy for many people, they are supposed to have a new version in a month or so which should finally bring stability. So shortly, you should be able to have it if you wish.

Back