Ipconfig /renew not working, please help asap.

pbsdt58

n00b
Everytime i try to renew my ip address or do the repair it instantly tells me that it could not refresh the dhcp server. I know for a fact that it is not the network or cable modem seeing as how other computers still work. It shows that it is connected to the network as well.... but it remains at 0 bytes sent and 0 bytes recieved. Also when i try to do the ipconfig /renew it says it can't find the file but when i do ipconfig without the /renew it works saying my ip address is 0.0.0.0 so does anyone have a clue as to whats wrong?

I'm assuming you have DHCP enabled on your router...? try resetting your routner and run it again. I've experienced the same problem about a week ago. By unplugging for about 10sec fixed the problem.

Also, rebooting your machine wouldn't hurt either...:eek:

I have resetted my router, I'm pretty sure there is some sort of corrupt file or something messed up with the PC. It wont let me enter a static ip address either. Like after i've entered it i try to open up the internet and it instantly says "cannot open page".

spyware?
bad cable or nic?

if it is corrupted files, try searching google for winsock xp fix
made by Lavasoft (the makers of adaware)

it fixes everything...almost.
if you can't find it, post back here and I could probably email it to you

Ok there is nothing wrong with the wsock32.dll file and i can even transfer files over the network with the PC so obviously the problem comes right when i try to connect to the internet and only the internet. Im not sure where the problem is though because the only error i can get is when i try to do the repair it says error renewing the ipaddress/dns/dhcp. Once again ive already reset the router, and all other computers on the network are able to renew. It says file nto found when i try to do ipconfig /renew though.

Lol. I have no clue what the problem is but im really desperate to get the pc working again so if anyone knows anything that would be a little easier for me than reformatting PLEASE throw suggestions out there.

does it work when in safe mode with networking?

run the winsockxp fix by lavasoft.
it fixes way more problems than just some problem with wsock32.dll

way more

Back