ipconfig in dos prompt shows hex letters

leeroy

Gawd
after a clean insatll of win xp pro spk2 integrated onto a mxt ide 160gb hdd. on a shuttle sn41g v2 with on board lan.

device manager shows the nvidia chipset based m/b lan as ok. even tho it says 100mb connected however it wont connect to the net.

however wen i type msconfig in dos prompt it will show the hexadecimal values of the ip address ie.3ea f23 ettc. rather then ie.192.168.0.1. i also tried to update drivers for it. but they are the cureerently latest drivers.

i also attempted to flash the bios but it failed since it says it cannot validate the update BIN file from the shuttle website via the awdlash ulitliy in dos prompt. but netherless the shuttle still works as normal as i type.

am i over looking something? thanks.

leeroy said:
after a clean insatll of win xp pro spk2 integrated onto a mxt ide 160gb hdd. on a shuttle sn41g v2 with on board lan.

device manager shows the nvidia chipset based m/b lan as ok. even tho it says 100mb connected however it wont connect to the net.

however wen i type msconfig in dos prompt it will show the hexadecimal values of the ip address ie.3ea f23 ettc. rather then ie.192.168.0.1. i also tried to update drivers for it. but they are the cureerently latest drivers.

i also attempted to flash the bios but it failed since it says it cannot validate the update BIN file from the shuttle website via the awdlash ulitliy in dos prompt. but netherless the shuttle still works as normal as i type.

am i over looking something? thanks.

Try re-installing your TCP/IP stack from the network control panel.

leeroy said:
When i type msconfig in dos prompt it will show the hexadecimal values of the ip address ie.3ea f23 ettc. rather then ie.192.168.0.1
You 100% sure you aren't looking at the Physical Address?

lol i didnt mean msconfig in dos prompt sorry. i meant i typed ipconfig in dos prompt

anyways what i did was i plugged in another hard drive with win xp pro spk2 on it. and then i just connected the LAN and the net was able to work as normal as well as the onboard lan was able to get a valid IP address. i also then proceeded to type ipconfig in dos prompt and this time it showed an proper ip

yes guys i wasnt looking at physical address i was sure i was looking at the correct value. in the end i tried to disable on board lan in the bios delete drivers and then re install the drivers for it but it still kept on giving same error and in the end i re installed xp spk2 from scratch and then it was all ok and it did not show any hex values after that. it turned out the customer was tryna use some home choice broadband with his machine in uk.

the data it showed in the ip adrress bit ... was "ceagfgg.192fex " you know random hex values :S that was so weird. but i clearly think the customer may have tried to modifiy the MAC address or something.

Back