iPads Client for Exchange pain in the butt setup

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
Wife just won an iPad 2. Now I've setup lots of Droids to activesynch on Exchange, and Outlook Anywhere lots of times. Steps sure do appears the same..but can't get the darned thing to accept the setup. And I have her droid setup on her Exchange account, as well as her Win7 laptop with Outlook Anywhere.

Running through her iPads setup...auto discover doesn't work...no problem, get to the next part where you type in the mail server address (address that works on her Droid and Outlook and outlook web access)...tried with and without SSL, still fails to verify. Save. Open up e-mail...and it keeps asking for her password..type it in...fails authentication..keeps asking for password behaving like I didn't type in the correct password. Username going in domain\user format just like I always do. Password definitely correct. Mail server address definitely works for OWA and same as her other setups.

It's our Exchange server at the office. It does also have a legit SSL cert...not a self signed.

Before I throw that pad2 into the wall....anyone have suggestions on where to further find some deeper setting in that mail setup?

Have you tried entering just the username in the username field and the domain in the domain field? That was my problem.

Have you tried entering just the username in the username field and the domain in the domain field? That was my problem.

I didn't not...always did domain abbreviated name\username just like done in Outlook Anywhere or on the Droids. I shall try that.

Are you putting the abbreviated netbios name of the domain in the domain field? Or the proper external name.....domain.com ?

Its an apple it should "just work", stupid apple "enterprise level" hardware

You could try using your OWA settings too

You could try using your OWA settings too

Oh yeah...at least 88 times...mentioned that above.
Tried same exact settings that work for Outlook Anywhere on her same account.
Tried same exact settings that work on her Moto Droid X on her same account.

Same format I do for all my other clients with their Outlook Anywhere and Droids on their systems.

Here's the setup instructions that I've used with my clients to add an Exchange account to iPhone 4 and iPad 2:

Info you need: [email protected]
domain: simplewindowsdomain (not .local or any of that)
username: domainusernamehere
mail server name: mail.fqdn.com

1. On the main screen, tap "Settings".
2. Tap "mail, contacts, ..."
3. Tap "add account"
4. Tap "Microsoft Exchange"
5. Tap "e-mail address" field and then using the onscreen keyboard, tap out your e-mail address. Tap return to go to the next field.
6. Type in domain using info above, then username using info above, then your password, and (optionally) a description.
7. Tap next. Accept the security/identity warning.
8. It should bring you back to a screen with a mail server name/address. Tap out the address and tap Next (at the top).
9. It should connect and then new screen asking if you want to enable synchronizing contacts and calendar. This is up to you whether you want to sync all of your contacts in your Exchange account to your phone and same with your Calendar.

Make sure with that many tries and failing that you did not lock her out of her account on the exchange server.

Here are things that have worked for me in the past, not in any order, and not limited to Apple (thanks Blackberry)

Try using all caps in the domain name.
Try using the full domain spn for the username (ie [email protected])
Make sure to enable ALL SSL certificates and accept invalid ones also
Use the fqdn in the domain field
Reflash the device (i.e. wipe and start over)
Install a different mail app

I use the iPhone Configuration Utility to email profiles to users for our Google Apps setup (uses Activesync). Never had a single problem with it.

As a matter of fact, iPhone support with GA is better than android phones (no need to install another app to enable remote wiping and policy enforcement).

I'm ready to throw that maxipad..I mean..ipad..through the wall. Keeps asking for password..over and over and over. And I 100% know I'm putting in the correct password..I created the account on the Exchange Server, I can test it by logging into OWA, and it's what I used on her droid and outlook.

I'm ready to throw that maxipad..I mean..ipad..through the wall. Keeps asking for password..over and over and over. And I 100% know I'm putting in the correct password..I created the account on the Exchange Server, I can test it by logging into OWA, and it's what I used on her droid and outlook.

Honestly I've had this same exact problem but on Android phones. On one Android, it suddenly accepted the password after a couple of entry attemps. I wish I knew what made it work and I really wonder what's going on.

Honestly I've had this same exact problem but on Android phones..

Same with certain newer Samsung models...and based on droid forums..many other also. Other Motorola Droids....no problem. Solution was to install Touchdown! as the app...which is superior over the native mail client anyways.

No such app for the iPad that I can find....stuck with the applesauce built in one.

can you use OWA for connection, i set up 2 IPAD 1 here no problems, just went through the wizard and off it went.

Whelp....I got it working. It appears that the Apple end of things is, naturally, more picky than the Droid and Windows way.

A piece of information I should have thought to provide...although at the time, I didn't think it mattered...because I had droids and Outlook Anywhere setup on it many times.

It's our Exchange server, 2007. It's setup by default for our work domain...such as in my e-mail address.

My wifes account is hosted on it, under a different recipient policy....the domain she registered for her real estate business. So her default e-mail is her [email protected].

I tried her [email protected] the autodiscovery picked up and flew right through.

So the imaxipads and apple stuff are for some reason uptight about that...although not surprising..it's an apple thing after all. Snooty.

Use ADSIEdit to change the UPN to match and autodiscover will fly w/o a problem.

Back