iPad Vs Netbook

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
My fiancee wants an iPad but I think a netbook would be a better option, not too mention cheaper ($600 vs $200 or so). So my question is, what's a good netbook? I haven't done much research because I was never into them but I would rather own one instead of the iPad. One of the reasons she wants one is because when we travel (other countries) she says we could use it as a map. I think we could use a netbook as a map as well, the screen is big enough. Thoughts?

What else do plan to use the iPad/netbook for? The iPad would probably be better as a map becuase of the firm factor but of course with a netbook you could use a 3rd party GPS USB device without the need of a 3G radio. The iPad would lighter and an overall better entertainment device, the netbook better overall for more serious tasks.

iPad is $500 for the 16GB model.

Personally I think you should just get the iPad if that's what she wants.

One thing to consider, you probably want to wait if you go the iPad route as the iPad 2 should be out in less than 6 weeks.

Get her exactly what she wants. Logic has nothing to do with it, especially if her friends have or want iPads.

I'd consider an iPad to be very different then a netbook. Get her netbook if she wants a small laptop. Ger her a iPad if she wants a big iPod.

Netbooks are POS which are built cheap have crappy screens and every 12 year has one. Get your woman something she would be proud to own not a POS

If you need the netbook for something specific software, then get the netbook. Otherwise go iPad.

Get her exactly what she wants. Logic has nothing to do with it, especially if her friends have or want iPads.

This. If you're throwing geeky technical reasons at her, it won't compute. Women operate on emotion, hearsay, and appearances.

By the way, if you're ever a tourist in a foreign country walking around trying to find stuff with an iPad or netbook, I'd say get ready to get robbed.

Does your fiancee have an iPhone? If so, then maybe the iPad would be the route to go. Being married, I can tell you, if she wants the iPad over the netbook, just get the iPad :D

But I concur with the wait a week for the iPad 2 release.

It does depend on what she wants to do. If she's going to do a lot of writing or she plans to do an elaborate edit of the vacation photos... well, get an HP dm1, not a netbook.

But for most common tasks, even a little bit of photo importing, I'd get the iPad once it's updated next week. They're more portable, especially when you're on foot often, and the battery life is hard to beat for any netbook. It does take some training to get used to the keyboard, but let's put it this way: this post is being written with an iPad. The new model should have cameras.

Two tips: consider getting the 3G model (HSPA, AKA the AT&T version) so that you can pop in a prepaid data SIM from your destination to get online. Also, as others said, don't carry it out in the open unless you're indoors or clearly not in any danger. It's true of any gadget, but the iPad is a prime target.

Completely false. She wants it, you provide it. That is completely logical. Never forget that happy wife = happy life.

I ask her to wait a month or less to see if the second version of the iPad is coming out.

I'm posting this on an iPad. I love it. I has a Dell Mini 9 hacked for osx, ssd 32gigs and super fast. But the iPad is just better.

My fiancee wants an iPad but I think a netbook would be a better option, not too mention cheaper ($600 vs $200 or so). So my question is, what's a good netbook? I haven't done much research because I was never into them but I would rather own one instead of the iPad. One of the reasons she wants one is because when we travel (other countries) she says we could use it as a map. I think we could use a netbook as a map as well, the screen is big enough. Thoughts?

If one of her reasons is to use it as a map/gps, suggest the Motorola Xoom to her. Google Maps on Android >>>>> everything else. ;) (although in all seriousness I'd wait for the iPad 2 and Xoom Wifi and see how they compare)

Back