Ipad Question

vincentharris

Weaksauce
When the iPad first came out, I will admit I was the first to make fun of it and call it horrible. Though as time went on I am coming around to find that it is pretty cool. With that said honestly is it worth getting? What are the pros & cons from people who have owned it so far? Any help with this would be appreciated.

The main question is simply what do you want to do with it. Plenty of people love them but some do find that it simply doesn't fit their needs. For an entertainment device, games, e-books, social networking, email, media playback and web browsing it tends to be very good.

For more productive tasks revolving around content creation, note taking, video editing, etc. it's not particularly strong.

The main question is simply what do you want to do with it. Plenty of people love them but some do find that it simply doesn't fit their needs. For an entertainment device, games, e-books, social networking, email, media playback and web browsing it tends to be very good.

For more productive tasks revolving around content creation, note taking, video editing, etc. it's not particularly strong.

Basically this ^^^

It's not a replacement laptop, but great for those things heartlesssun mentioned.

It also makes a great "primary email computer" for your mom or grandparents, unless you want to keep fixing their computer from viruses and so on.

It also makes a great "primary email computer" for your mom or grandparents, unless you want to keep fixing their computer from viruses and so on.

I've setup about two dozen Vista and 7 machines, have MSE on them and tell users if they don't no where it came from just delete the email. Zero viruses reported.

But sure, a totally sandboxed phone OS is safer.

It's definitely a fun device to have around. I would consider it a good coffee table toy and a good travel companion.

...if apple changed only a few fundamental things at the OS level, it would be a complete package. but, sadly, that's not their vision of the iPad right now.

I'm only bringing an iPad on vacation, it is ideal for this as you don't feel you need to get any work done but don't miss out on the fun stuff.

iPad is for content consumption like most computer use but you can't really do any content creation.

Agreed.....

Basically this ^^^

It's not a replacement laptop, but great for those things heartlesssun mentioned.

Totally agree. They are great media consumption devices, but I still feel they are WAY overpriced for just that. I hate them in the business setting, at least for now. We're finally able to switch the ones my company has to AT&T corporate accounts, so maybe that will help. Unfortunately our CEO thinks these things are awesome, though everyone who has tried to use them for business end up using their laptops instead...

We got one for my mom for her birthday, fits her needs perfectly: e-mail, a few fun apps, music, and web browsing.

I've contemplated getting one myself, what I keep coming to is that it would be great for lounging around the house reading & travel entertainment, basically a better form factor than a full laptop. What's holding me back is that it still feels like $500 for something of a novelty, basically the value-add over an iTouch just isn't $270+ to me, it's a bigger screen and that's more or less it...

that said, the odds of me caving and getting one over the next 6 months is pretty good...

iPad is for content consumption like most computer use but you can't really do any content creation.
It's actually useful as a music creation device, but the inability to do any kind of real multi-track recording limits its appeal in that respect. It's a good tool for musical experimentation, though.

Over the next six months the landscape in the slate and tablet world is going to change considerably. iPad 2, Playbook, webOS, Gingerbread and even better Windows devices will emerge.

2010 was the year of the iPad but 2011 will be someone else's turn. 2012 will probably be the year of Windows slates with Windows 8. And beyond that my crystal ball doesn't work.

Back