Ipad question to actual users.

I had a chance to check out the iPad at my school today and I was quite impressed with the quality and ease of use. I don't want to rant but dammm if only it had Flash! I would buy it in a heartbeat if it had flash since I think it'll be perfect for facebook games. Yeah I understand HTML5 is the future, but then flash is still here. It's like buying a blu-ray player that will not play DVDs.

Actually in my example theres no networking involved whatsoever. If you didnt take the time to actually read what I said or understand it please dont respond to me. I have not the time nor inclination to explain tech to people off hours.

I was thinking ( and this may be in too traditional a way for some of our foward thinking techies here ) that since it was a computing device a way to add on storage capacity would be nice. Is asking a device to support expansion make me "stuck in my ways" ? Where do the apps and stuff you save while working on it go ? On some sort of storage device I am sure.

I do have an actual question to ask. How do you restore the OS should something happen to it? I realized its probably slim to none, but In my mind I am thinking anything with an OS and web access has the potential to become corrupt somehow. Would you just send it to Apple? Or is there some Apple supported way to back it up? Would you lose all your apps also and have to redownload them ( and would you be charged again?) ? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

No your assumption is that you have another piece of hardware(the flash drive). Mine assumes that my friend's laptop has a common built in piece of hardware for all laptops, a wifi adapter which would at the least be able to open an ad-hoc connection with my iPad. There is clearly a need to explain because you keep making unstated false assumptions. This is something i have a big problem with because many people arto basing their decisions on false assumptions and blinders put on by other people rather than asking how they could get it done with the device.

Fact of the matter is that this is not a stand alone device, never has been trumped that way and never will be. But it is a portable device that allows me to leave my power at the desktop (or laptop if you have used one as a desktop placement). It isn't meant to store all of your movies, all of your music or all of your data.

That also goes to answer your question on backup and restores, it's all handled by sync with iTunes which also includes device backup and the ability to build long term manual backups as well (with an option for them to be encrypted as well). But no you would not be charged again for apps (a model i don't quite understand given their stance on preventing you from redownloading purchased music or movies), I've downloaded a number of apps multiple times and it always warns you that you have already purchased the app but you can continue the download.

I had a chance to check out the iPad at my school today and I was quite impressed with the quality and ease of use. I don't want to rant but dammm if only it had Flash! I would buy it in a heartbeat if it had flash since I think it'll be perfect for facebook games. Yeah I understand HTML5 is the future, but then flash is still here. It's like buying a blu-ray player that will not play DVDs.

html5 the way of the future? bah! I'm a web dev, and I can tell you without software tools html5 is not going to make a big dent in flash's dominance anytime soon.

jay2472000 has a point, wifi is way slower than usb especially for anything above 90mb.

html5 the way of the future? bah! I'm a web dev, and I can tell you without software tools html5 is not going to make a big dent in flash's dominance anytime soon.
Exactly.

If content creation tools didn't matter, you could say Assembly > Flash.

I don't know much about it since im just a normal user. People keep on saying HTML5 is the future over flash.

Exactly.

compatibility is the other side of the coin. Since html5 requires a browser upgrade, I am guessing it will be as prevalent as flash in... 5 years?

It's still a neat toy to play around with. I might cook something up for a client if it gets more hype, on the level of SilverLight.

Is there any simple way to transfer movies off of a usb hard drive to the ipad using a laptop that is not currently setup to sync with your itunes account? I work offshore a lot and watching movies is a big deal. I take a company laptop with me and would need a way to reload new movies onto the iPad via. the laptop (without my itunes on it preferably). I was thinking this might be possible by making a wifi connection with the laptop and joining it with the iPad. I have a program on my iPhone that makes the phone a wifi storage device accessible through any browser, but I'm not sure how you would then play the file off of the iPad if you went that route. Any ideas?

To clarify: I want to sync my iPad with my desktop at home, take it offshore and watch all it's content, then put more on with another laptop (that I don't have access to normally and don't want to have to redo all the settings on the iPad by syncing it).

Is there any simple way to transfer movies off of a usb hard drive to the ipad using a laptop that is not currently setup to sync with your itunes account? I work offshore a lot and watching movies is a big deal. I take a company laptop with me and would need a way to reload new movies onto the iPad via. the laptop (without my itunes on it preferably). I was thinking this might be possible by making a wifi connection with the laptop and joining it with the iPad. I have a program on my iPhone that makes the phone a wifi storage device accessible through any browser, but I'm not sure how you would then play the file off of the iPad if you went that route. Any ideas?

To clarify: I want to sync my iPad with my desktop at home, take it offshore and watch all it's content, then put more on with another laptop (that I don't have access to normally and don't want to have to redo all the settings on the iPad by syncing it).

stream with orb

or jailbreak it (once its released to the public) and treat it like you would a regular laptop computer :) (copy whatever files you need to it via SSH or USB)

I just bought one yesterday after being on the fence about it for awhile. I travel a lot and use it for casual browsing and email. I find it to be great at that, and I'm overall happy with the quality of the product. However, I think its overpriced and lacking in some features. I bought the 16gb wifi model for $489, and I miss not having a camera, GPS, or some basic apps like a calculator, weather, or stocks. Sure, I got em all on my phone but how hard would it have been to include all that on the pad too?

Oh and as 100s of people have already mentioned, the lack of flash is very on this thing.

Except that you couldn't execute such code on the web without...a plug-in. HTML5 requires no plug-ins.

As far as content creation goes, it has all the necessary tools already. Extensive JavaScript tools are available in most browsers (even in IE8, which has a really excellent set of development tools). The benefits of the new HTML5 features -- the new video, audio and canvas elements -- are realized via JavaScript controllers. If you know ActionScript, then you basically know JavaScript -- they're both ECMAScript-based dialects.

If you're talking about keyframe animation, then no. The development environment for that doesn't really exist at this point.

Is VERY what?
My guess would be "very unimportant" ;)

I didn't say that was the _only_ reason to get an iPad. You're reacting as if it is.

You can also watch movies, read books, run apps, play games, etc. etc. on it.

I only answered your question, which was to name one thing an iPad can do that a phone and laptop cannot.

ah, i meant to say list everything it can do which the phone + laptop cannot do. i don't need one if it's purpose is to do stuff that i can already do with my existing devices. especially if it actually does *less* than my existing devices.

Back