iPad/Kindle/Something Else?

Triglet

n00b
Hey all,
Looking for a portable device that can mainly be used in the kitchen to bring up recipes and whatnot. Internet access is required, and the ability to view pdf's and webpages.

Not sure if the Kindle is capable of this? I see it has some sort of browser but not sure if it would suffice for looking at say foodnetwork.com.

The iPad's seem decent, but they're pricey for sure. I'd probably be looking at the baseline version (wifi only, 16gb).

Thanks all

Sounds like a netbook would work well here and would be useful for many other things not just recipe duty. Can be had for much less than iPad also.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea either -- any netbook will do? I know zero about those.

I'll see if I can dig up some info on netbook comparisons.

Thanks

I'd recommend the NOOKColor myself, it'll do exactly what the OP is asking and a whole lot more.

How bout an Archos 7" or 10"?? Im hoping to get one for xmas from the GF but they are sold out currently

I would vote for the NetBook as well as they can be had for cheap. I actually use a DELL Mini-9 for this same purpose in my house. If you aren't brand picky, you can look at DELL's refurb site and save yourself some cash of the new purchase price. Picked my Mini-9 up from there a while back and saved almost $100.

Thanks for all of the replies guys -- after reading some more that Nook Color has caught my eye.

And another benefit on the NOOKColor: it plays videos, pretty decently actually. I've been doing some transcoding of DVD content recently and some HD MKV files to a format the NOOKColor can handle (h.264 Baseline MP4/M4V at 720 pixels wide for DVD, 848 pixels wide for HD MKV) and not one of them has given the people doing the testing for me a single blip or stutter or anything.

So, just another aspect that makes the NOOKColor a fantastic device, and yep the B&N marketplace for apps as well as that root capability certainly make it a far more useful product.

Yeah videos are great on it. You do have to convert them if you use H.264 like me but they look good, play great. The speaker sucks but its not exactly gonna sound great since its really being sold as an e-reader... with headphones im sure it sounds nice.

Nook Color is great for geeks who like to tinker. Kindle is great for geeks who like to read and only read

Hey all,
Looking for a portable device that can mainly be used in the kitchen to bring up recipes and whatnot. Internet access is required, and the ability to view pdf's and webpages.

Not sure if the Kindle is capable of this? I see it has some sort of browser but not sure if it would suffice for looking at say foodnetwork.com.

The iPad's seem decent, but they're pricey for sure. I'd probably be looking at the baseline version (wifi only, 16gb).

Thanks all

iPad + Epicurious or numerous other cooking apps will do this nicely.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epicurious-recipes-shopping/id312101965?mt=8

The Kindle is an excellent device for reading books, best in class IMHO, but it only well suited for displaying static pages due to the fact that e-paper refresh rate is nothing like you get with an LCD.

Be careful as far as the Nook Color goes, I would honestly see in person if it is what you want before jumping in. It came up in discussion on Shacknews and the feedback from an owner (he got one for free so he has no bias either way) was not positive: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=24701449#itemanchor_24701449

I also recommend the NookColor. Picked one up for the GF for xmas and its really a neat device. Its got a web browser built in and you can load your own books/etc... i made some books into PDFS and imported those very easily.

As always, such items are cheaper for a reason...

I mean really, Coby? :D

True but it has better than normal Coby reviews :D For the price and android 2.1, you can't beat it... and if its truly an unfunctional, piece of junk then I would return it any way

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want web browsing as a primary use, go for a Nook Color. Its basically the best tablet pc for the price right now, even tho its not a tablet pc technically. The kindle browser is great for reading text ala blogs, forums, ect, but its really not made for browsing web pages and such.

But for straight up reading, nothing beats the kindle 3 eink pearl screen. I repeat, nothing!! And dont let people scare you with what format this one and that ones compatible with, there is a great free app calibre that lets you switch basically any format ebook to any other, so you can tailor books you find to whatever format you feel your device works best with. And since kindles been around the longest, the primary format most ebooks I find myself downloading are usually in kindle formats like .mobi initially anyway, which is a native kindle format. ePub easily converts to mobi so no worries about epub there, tho I do wish Amazon would firmware update kindle to read epub (I believe they will eventually do this anyway, meantime it takes less than a second for my pc to convert even a large book to any other format).

Kindle also owns face for reading manga =) Tho Im sure a nook color is fine for that too. I do not like reading on an lcd screen tho, so for me kindle is really the best for all my reading/manga needs. Im getting one very soon.

bought my mom a Kindle, amazing!!!
eink screen is fabulous
try looking at craigslist though

I have an iPad, i use the Epicurious app to look at recipes when I'm in the mood for that.

I'll be honest, I bought my iPad mostly to look at ebooks and stuff like that

if all you're interested in doing is LOOKING at stuff, get an iPad

if you're interested in doing more than that, get a netbook

There's nothing quite like using an iPad in the dark when you're in bed and you want to read before you fall asleep (it has a backlight, and the brightness is adjustable)

Back