iPad and virtual computing....looking 4 Xendesktop /r related info???

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Im looking to get more info on using a VDI with an ipad. Im a trader with a trading group and most of us are all over the country. Im based in Chiago and my boss is based out of Florida. Our trading systems are based in Chicago so the farther people are from Chicago the slower their connections are to the trading servers. So basically its my job, as the tech guy, though I have zero actual tech training behind me, I have to see if there are options to help speed up those slow connections to the trading servers. Here is the real kicker, he wants to be able to find a way to access a windows based system from his ipad. He is serious enough that he went out and got me an ipad just to see if I can figure out a way to make this all work.

Currently I run a few VNC servers for charting purposes. We were spending 70k a year on charting services till we started doing the VNC servers. So I started thinking why not look into renting a server downtown near where the trading servers are located and in theory we should be getting better speeds from the tradign platform to the servers. Now with 15-20 guys on each server checking out charts, it can lag a bit and thats fine for charting aspects, but that wont work for trading.

I access my VNC servers just fine from my ipad but thats as far as my tech knowledge extends to. I started looking around and came arcoss Citrix Xendesktop, even downloaded their Citrix receiver app and played a bit with the demo. Based on the videos Iv seen it looks amazing. If Im understanding it right, I believe with one desktop program I can run multiple VDI. Meaning I can have a number of our traders use this at once if needed. As well as rent out a server near the trading servers for quicker trading execution.

I figured that because xendesktop has the ability to be run from any regular pc and an ipad that something like this would in theory work for what Im looking for. I just honestly dont know, nor do I know of any other options that might work as well. I didnt really see any other apps that work in this manner other then doing a VNC. Im just looking to see what all my options are. My boss jailbroke his iphone and ipad so now he is hell bent on finding a way to get this all to work.

I should note that we have our own custom made auto trading program. So being far away and having a slower connection would still show some lag in the system. But with our program we can set the paramators for it to trade for us. So I understand that it wont speed up our actuall connection. If we rent a server close to the trading servers, setting the auto trader will get us a hell of a lot better trades then coming from florida or where ever.

Thanks for any help

My brother works in Chicago too, and has done pretty much exactly what you are looking to do. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact info if you are interested.

Can use XenDesktop or VMware View and the Wyse PocketCloud client for iPad. Just put the infrastructure where ever (being a trading app I'd say as close to the exchange as possible) and then remote in. Depending on the app it might work well or you may find the touch screen on the iPad to be a hindrence. Just depends on the app itself..not everything works well with a touch interface.

We have several customers using iPads like this...works fine. If you want to do a proof of concept just grab the Wyse Client from the iTunes store and direct RDP in to a Windows system at your colo. VMware View is just RDP from the Wyse Client. Xen will be ICA which is better over high latency connections..but before spending any more money I'd test my apps and see if it's an option.

Citrix XenApp may also work for you if VDI is not an absolute requirement.

The difference being providing your users with the apps they need (XenApp) versus
a desktop (XenDesktop).

Just depends on needs/wants.

I am getting ready to dive into XenDesktop myself for proof of concept work.
I already support a XenApp environment.

You definitely want to do your own POC using your own apps and your own
equipment ...... demos are almost always amazing, but having it run in your own
environment is a better guage imho.

Citrix XenApp may also work for you if VDI is not an absolute requirement.

The difference being providing your users with the apps they need (XenApp) versus
a desktop (XenDesktop).

Just depends on needs/wants.

I am getting ready to dive into XenDesktop myself for proof of concept work.
I already support a XenApp environment.

You definitely want to do your own POC using your own apps and your own
equipment ...... demos are almost always amazing, but having it run in your own
environment is a better guage imho.

Im confused on the difference with xendesktop vs app...are you saying with app I can just have the programs I need sent to say the Citrix reciever?

i've done something similar with this... have a few co-located boxes down at equinix that i can access from an ipad...

vmware view worked pretty well... don't trade off the ipad, but it is handy to monitor P&Ls and general risk....

Im confused on the difference with xendesktop vs app...are you saying with app I can just have the programs I need sent to say the Citrix reciever?

This is exactly the case.
Instead of giving your remote users a full desktop.
You give them access to "published" applications.
The iPad receiver will allow them to run the apps they have
access to.

Back