iPad 2 Replacement

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
My parents are in need of a new iPad. Their venerable iPad 2 is end-of-life'd by Apple, the battery is pretty bad, and a bunch of apps they use have been updated and don't run well on iOS 9.

My initial thought was to just get them a base model iPad Air 2. But I'm a little worried that it hasn't been update in such a long time. I really can't justify getting them an iPad Pro for what they're using it for, but I'm afraid that an Air 2 will start showing it's age faster than expected given that it hasn't been update in 2 years.

The iPad Pro 9.7 is the successor to the air 2. It's priced higher because apple can price it higher. With that said, even the first gen Air is still pretty decent for most use, so the air 2 would be even better.
More than likely a new gen will be announced this spring and the air 2 will be discontinued or heavily discounted. If you can wait 4-5 months, then upgrade then.
I went from an iPad 2 to a 9.7 pro and was blown away with all the new features and performance. I knew the iPad 2 was old and slow, but not by that much.

The iPad Pro is way beyond what my parents need. If this was for myself it'd be a no brainer to get a Pro. Hearing that iPad Air 1's are still usable in encouraging that the Air 2 won't go to shit once iOS 11 comes out.

I don't get your line of thought:
  • Ipad 2 is slow and dying.
  • Don't want the pro 9.7 because it's too powerful for their needs.
  • Don't want the air2 because it is a bit old, but far faster than the ipad2.

You are concerned the air2 is going to "goto shit" with ios11. But your parents have been using a tablet that is, what, 6 yrs old just fine.

Is there something else apple that will fit the bill that you can buy? There's nothing between the pro and air2.

Air2 is currently on sale for 250/300 if you act fast.

Dunno just bought mom a 128 GB Pro 9.7 (when Sams Club had them on sell) to replace a very old Nook. Now you she can just use the Nook app instead.

The 32GB Air 2 and the 32GB Mini 4 are the same price. Their power is similar. Go big or small.

They will last for quite some time.

Ended up getting them an iPad Pro. Bought it on sale for $450.

For $450, that's a great deal. That must feel like a quantum leap for your parents, since virtually everything about it is dramatically better. Heck, I'd get some benefit out of an iPad Pro, and I'm using an iPad Air. Waiting for the 2017 iPad updates before I take the leap, though.

You get it at target when they had a sale + 10% off?

Definitely overpriced but overall it's a pretty good product. It's much better than my original Air that I shattered a few days before.

You get it at target when they had a sale + 10% off?

Definitely overpriced but overall it's a pretty good product. It's much better than my original Air that I shattered a few days before.

Actually, I bought it at Best Buy. They price matched the Target price.

Back