IP35 Pro or X38?

choogi

n00b
I've been scouring the web for a while for a new mobo and I think I've narrowed it seems like IP35 Pro is one of THE mobos to have right now. However, I don't know if I should go ahead and get it now, wait for the X38, or wait for the X38 and hope the price of the IP35 Pro drops then. If I go X38, I've got my eyes on the Abit X38 Quad GT.

I'll be wanting to power a triple monitor setup and am a devout to NVidia cards but dont' ever see myself using SLI? I also won't be upgrading to DDR3 for a while.

And just about the IP35 Pro, I've read that the PCI-bus gigabit adapter will report inferior results in artificial benchmarks but isn't noticeable in everyday use...can other IP35 Pro users testify to that? Is the vdroop really that much of an issue?

Anyways, any prospects of a "perfect" X38 mobo coming up? :p

if you dun oc much, vdroop shouldn't be a problem
i'd wait for x38 to surface
see some more reviews on retail products
if i like it then go for it
otherwise take a price-dropped IP35 Pro

And just about the IP35 Pro, I've read that the PCI-bus gigabit adapter will report inferior results in artificial benchmarks but isn't noticeable in everyday use...can other IP35 Pro users testify to that?
Depends upon your usage & system but for imo 99%+ of users it's just not an issue.
It's slower than a PCI-E solution but it's waay faster than domestic broadband & has throughput faster than a single 7200rpm hard drive can handle.

Is the vdroop really that much of an issue?
only if you have a seriously overclocked quadcore & there is a relatively easy Vmod that cures it.

This P35 Roundup at techspot reports 51-53 MB/s for each ethernet port. That's megabytes per second, not megabits per second right? If I added on, say...a sound card and a tv tuner...would that noticeably affect my network performance?

From my readings, IP35-Pro has the following shortcomings: PWM overheats, vdroop, esata not working properly.

I am looking into the GA-P35-DQ6 as well. I am sure both are good boards.

From my readings, IP35-Pro has the following shortcomings: PWM overheats, vdroop,
only a potential problem on a heavily overclocked quad & there are solutions.

esata not working properly.
it works for some & not for others - same as on the Asus P5K & seeing as it's the same controller on the Gigabyte as well I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigabyte is similar when using the JMicron for eSATA.

It looks like some x38 mobos will be using DDR2 while others are only (Intel) going to support DDR3 (although I have read its "official" support that will be missing and that DDR2 will "unofficially" work. I'll have to see what the case actually is when they come out.

i really dont think there will be any difference in performance between a ddr2 x38 and a ddr2 p35. for that matter i dont think there will be much difference between a ddr3 x38 and a ddr2 p35.

Back