IP35 Pro or P5Q Pro?

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm building a new atx rig for college and I can't really decide between P35 or P45. The P45 doesn't seem to offer more features other than more sata ports and slightly better overclocking performance for 45nm quads (Which is irrelevant for me as I'm probably going dual core) but the P45 is also PCI 2.0 which everyone says is important but I have no clue what it improves on over the old PCI express architecture. :eek: Anyways, so for a rig with an E8400 and an 8800GT (No plans for crossfire), what one would you suggest? The P5Q Pro will run me $140 plus shipping and the IP35 will likely be able $95 shipped.

asus p5q pro + promo code = $119 + free shipping

you won't be using crossfire with 2 of those 8800gt's anyway :) my rig has a P45 chipset in it and i just built a rig with the IP35 Pro XE board in it for a friend. both rigs have an 8400 and a radeon 4850. to be honest, i can't really tell any difference between the two. one word of warning, tho (and i warned my friend too but he obviously didn't mind)...........it's been said recently that abit may be getting out of the motherboard business, or at least the enthusiast side of it. there may be no truth to that rumor but i've read it in multiple places.

I would go with the P5Q Pro as it overclocks really well and runs nice and cool.

For what its worth I had a bad experience with the IP-35E. I don't know if the pro is different, but it was a hassle to update the BIOS (not as easy using a thumb drive as on the asus boards). Also the usb was flaky and I had a double booting issue that was never resolved with a BIOS update. Overall it was a pretty terrible board and I am soon replacing it with an asus.

FYI, if overclocking is a concern the ASUS P5Q Deluxe has 16 phase power vs P5Q Pro 8 Phase power.

Still haven't seen any proof that that helps much, most people have obtained the same overclocks with both boards. Not worth the price premium for that feature alone IMO, there may be other features on there that make it worth it to someone however.

P5Q Deluxe just sounds awesome with SSD supported 5-seconds-to-online, worth buying just for that imho (this is from someone who hasn't bought it yet).

I have also been looking for a good P45 board and ths P5Q Pro looks like it might do the job.
Will this board do 475 - 500 FSB?

Back