IP35-E and Xeon compatibility?

horseflesh

Weaksauce
Since the E8400s are hard to find I am thinking about the E3xxx Xeon version. Has anyone tried one in the Abit IP35-E?

Coincidentally I did too. The build went OK, but there were a few weird issues.

- BIOS config would hang with a USB keyboard! Never seen that before.

- After installing the latest Intel chipset drivers from their site, the USB ports all died. They weren't even getting power. Apparently there is some kind of serious software conflict, I googled up many similar stories but no solutions. I rolled back with system restore and just didn't install the chipset drivers... but surely I'm going to be missing something.

- cpu-z shows my proc at 6x mult and 2 GHz total speed. Windows itself sees it as a 3GHz proc.

But things are stable which is what is important.

- BIOS config would hang with a USB keyboard! Never seen that before.
USB support set to "by BIOS" ?

- After installing the latest Intel chipset drivers from their site, the USB ports all died. They weren't even getting power. Apparently there is some kind of serious software conflict, I googled up many similar stories but no solutions. I rolled back with system restore and just didn't install the chipset drivers... but surely I'm going to be missing something.
It's a Windows problem - theree's a knowledge base article about it.
Are you using SP3 by any chance?

- cpu-z shows my proc at 6x mult and 2 GHz total speed. Windows itself sees it as a 3GHz proc.
that's EIST at work - if you put load on the CPU you should see it increase in CPU-Z.

I had the same/similar problem with the usb - It took minutes to recognize my keyboard, until I unplugged my external usb-hub. - I replugged it, and it hasn't happened since.

I think I figured out the USB keyboard issue. At first boot I chose "Safe Defaults" in the BIOS and I bet that turned off USB. On a subsequent BIOS flash, it was set to "by BIOS" by default. I didn't test the USB keyboard at that time but I suspect it would have worked.

I think I found the KB article you are referring to.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921411

I scrounged up the hotfix but after installing it, no joy and that is when I did the rollback.

EIST--craziness! Every time I upgrade I am amazed at how much has changed since the CPU generation I am coming from, which is usually at least 18 months ago.

Thanks!

Back