IP3-Pro & USB Keyboard

bigdavethehorn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
412
I finished my new build tonight and gingerly switched it on, to find that my brand new Seagate 7200.10 appears to be dead.

No spin-up, no noise, nothing.

So I registered a RMA then installed XP Pro onto the brand new Hitachi Deskstar. All went well during the install.

At the desktop, I configured a few options, then began installing the drivers from the CD supplied with the mobo.

I installed the Intel Chipset drivers, which prompted a restart on completion. I restarted and now my USB keyboard and mouse don't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Unfortunately that's a known problem with Windows & later Intel chipset drivers (MS has a knowledge base article) & it's not just abit that gets affected.
You should have installed the chipset drivers before all the MS updates (same as best to install the Realtek before the MS updates to avoid the problem with the MS UAA driver ...).
if you have a PS/2 keyboard & mouse try rolling back to before the chipset inf install.
 
I did install the chipset drivers first, they are the only drivers installed!

Is there a way around this for future installs?
 
Did you check to be sure that USB is enabled in the BIOS? Not that chipset drivers should affect this, but it is always worth a look. Seems like with my Vista install I had something like this happen, and I realized that the USB ports weren't on in the BIOS.
 
Did you check to be sure that USB is enabled in the BIOS? Not that chipset drivers should affect this, but it is always worth a look. Seems like with my Vista install I had something like this happen, and I realized that the USB ports weren't on in the BIOS.

I'll check when I get home from work, although I don't see how installing chipset drivers would switch off the USB ports in the BIOS?

Since you have a very similar system, can I ask you what your installation order was?

Mine was:

1) XP PRo
2) Intel chipset driver
3) Become frustrated and hit something.
 
I finished my new build tonight and gingerly switched it on, to find that my brand new Seagate 7200.10 appears to be dead.

No spin-up, no noise, nothing.

So I registered a RMA then installed XP Pro onto the brand new Hitachi Deskstar. All went well during the install.

At the desktop, I configured a few options, then began installing the drivers from the CD supplied with the mobo.

I installed the Intel Chipset drivers, which prompted a restart on completion. I restarted and now my USB keyboard and mouse don't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar issue (Abit IP35-E), I solved it by checking in Device Manager and sure enough all USB controllers had the ! beside them.

I just removed all the USB devices, rebooted and XP sorted itself out (note I had a PS/2 mouse to investigate with).
 
I did install the chipset drivers first, they are the only drivers installed!
yes, but did you do your Windows updates before installing them?
btw what SP level is your Windows install?

Anyway it's a Windows problem.
 
Bizarrely, I did another clean install of XP Pro SP2 after work.

Same installation order as before i.e. XP Pro, then Intel's chipset drivers and now everything works!

However, uGuru reports the temp of my Q6600 as about 21 degrees. Which seems a little cool!
 
A little tip to keep this from happening in the future:

Slipstream your XP CD, load it with pre-drivers for the Chipsets, Raid Drivers, etc. I am sure you already know this, but it prevents SOOO much hassle.

This is especially the case with the HD Audio Drivers and USB drivers, OMG! Such a pain in the a**.

Just slipstreamed my new XP CD with the Service Pack 3 and all my drivers on auto install setup with pre-configs (I love you N-Lite).. and takes me about a flat 30 minutes from start to clean install. That along with my super 16GB usb thumb drive of Programs/Utilities etc.. maybe 45 minutes for a full, new, clean install of my OS and all my Programs (not including games). And I only have to be at keyboard for maybe 2 minutes of that.

Kiss your driver problems goodbye with that.
 
Back
Top