IP release and Internet

Ok - This new build has been the most painful of my life. But I finally got things running and stable. So I started to add in additional perfs and things went downhill. My setup is as follows:

EVGA 790i Ultra
Intel Q9450
GSkill 2x2gb 1600
2 x Raptor X (Raid 0)
2 x Samsung spinpoint f1 1tb (raid 1)
2 x EVGA Geforce 9800GTX (SLI)
Cosmos s case
Coolermaster Realpower 850 Pro
2 x Samsung DVD writers
Vista x64 Ultimate (PoS)

Like I said, finally got everything working and then tried to install my Logitech Quickcam. Got a BSoD with a 0x0000007e. Once I finally got the comp to boot again, realized there was no internet connectivity, so I rolled back a restore point to prior to Quickcam install. Boots fine, but still no internet connectivity. I know the network is active and working (I have 2 laptops that work fine - including on the port the desktop is plugged into). I am getting nothing. Tried to check the IP situation (with admin priv) and I get a 169.XX address (default when it can't acquire one). Then try ipconfig /release - no such luck. So I reinstall the drivers - no luck. So I uninstall, run Driver Sweeper, reinstall - no luck. I do get an error when I try to ipconfig /renew that it can't reach my DCHP server and times out. However, again strange since my two laptops have no issues. I have reset botht the router and the modem several times and tried a direct connection to the comp from the router. And to top it off my Raid 1 just failed. Arrrggghhhh. (shakes fist over head and yells "d**n you computer gods").

So anybody have any ideas. And oh running latest bios and drivers all around.

as i understand your computer is connected wireless to the internet?
try connecting to the router wired , if doesn't work , try directly to the modem
if still doesn't work , will be easiest if you will plug another NIC and check with it

169 is an APIPA address, as you already know.

Reinstall the TCP stack and see what happens, make sure that it can ping the router, etc.

Sorry, should have specified - entire network is wired (we had it done when we built the house).

I have tried ti directly to the modem (bypassing router) and same results.

itsmikey - How do I rebuild the TCP stack - is it a computer or router action. Reason I ask is the router is working fine for the other computers on the network (I can even switch ports with no problem). So I am believing the issue is with the computer.

arik100 - If I understand your statement, it might just be easier to buy a cheap NIC and use it instead of the onboard - correct?

Sorry, should have specified - entire network is wired (we had it done when we built the house).

itsmikey - How do I rebuild the TCP stack - is it a computer or router action. Reason I ask is the router is working fine for the other computers on the network (I can even switch ports with no problem). So I am believing the issue is with the computer.

arik100 - If I understand your statement, it might just be easier to buy a cheap NIC and use it instead of the onboard - correct?

It is done on the computer, and Mister Natural covered the process to a T. Try it, see what happens.

what i meant is to isolate the problem , and see if the problem is within your NIC configuration by getting a new NIC if you have one in your disposal , but they presented a better solution as we can see , so leave my suggestion

Soo... always start with the basics:rolleyes: Unplugged the computer, waited 30 seconds, reboot - - - works fine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back