IP Cop or Monowall?

Which one?

• IPCop

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • MonoWall

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Which of these two firewall distros should I use? Not really any specific requirements right now, but I do know more linux than bsd (though very little of either :( )

You dont need to know Linux or BSD to use either. That said I'd prefer m0n0wall over IPCop, and more specifically pfSense, which is a fork of m0n0wall richer in features and uses pf instead of ipfw. This is mostly because I prefer BSD over Linux, either will work just as well as another.

It depends on what you are looking for...

Step 1) DO YOUR RESEARCH on both products. The configuration of both is Web-based so knowledge of BSD/Linux is not necessarilly needed.

Step 2) LOOK AT EACH PRODUCTS CAPABILITIES. IPCop is much friendlier in terms of setup and configuration for the newbie while not going as indepth with options. Conversly, m0n0Wall is more powerful in terms of configuration, but it's not as easy to pick up for those not used to dealing with full blown firewalls, etc.

Do the research ahead of time, it'll save you LOTS of time later on!

I'd vote for IPCop..but WITH the Copfilter add-on

Or...Endian (which is a much more groomed version of IPCop combined with the Copfilter add-on). And Endian is the one I'm currently running..I've tried IPCop, IPCop with Copfilter, PFSense, and Endian.

In my opinion...the advantage of a linux based router pulls ahead of conventional consumer grade retails routers by having the option of running UTM features (unified threat management). Without those features..I'd rather simply run an entry level business grade router.

Read these features here on this link..as to the transparent proxy features that Copfilter for IPCop brings. > http://copfilter.org/docu.php#intro
Without those...IMO you've got to ask "What advantage do some linux routers (like IPCop w/copfilter, or Endian) have over business grade routers..why bother?"

I don't see how Smoothwall or m0n0wall can step up to the plate when compared against these, I'd rather just run my RV0 router.

Back