• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IP cameras suggestions

crazyassazian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
250
Just wondering what you guys would suggest for a 4 camera setup for the house. When I'm at work I want to keep an eye out for what is going on around the house, mostly the exterior. Been looking at Panasonic and Axis IP cameras. Throw out some suggestions equipment wise. Willing to spend up to $2,000.
 
Wellllll. . . . .

If all you want are cameras and good software, Axis is the only thing i can recommend really.

there are a lot of decent camera's out there, the software is what becomes a buggy mess to work with.

If you want to do full on home automation with video monitoring, look at HAI Omni. The pro version can be had for around 1k for the controller. Which can control pretty much anything you want, and you can get the web based software for it.
 
Throw another name into the mix... Dedicated Micros. Has DVRs that you can connect with a web GUI.

All you do is run RG 9 (I think, basically just coax...) cable into the unit and it does the rest. It'll record until space is full and then start over-writing itself, keeping as much as it can.

I haven't heard of Axis though...

Whatever you use, just realize your internet connection's upload speed is what's going to kill you. Don't expect HD streaming or anything like that :D
 
Do you want to actually record stuff?
Are you willing to lay cable be it RG6/Coax or ethernet?
Do you need your cameras to do PTZ?
Are you going to need to add more cameras later on?
 
Whats your budget? I sell systems here (its primarily what we do) using a card made by GeoVision. We sometimes custom build our pc's but if not, our distributor builds them the same as us... its a pretty good card, supports up to 32 channels (with 2 cards) and they sell a variety of them. I have a 4 channel myself at home running on an old shuttle pc (hey its cheap and worked). I record 3 cameras (they are not IP cameras). But the software that comes with it is big on remote access. Lots of various types of remote access from a web browser to iphone app (which is what i like).

Your looking at around $294 for a 4 channel card @ 30 FPS which is the card i use myself.
Cameras each will cost about $124-$146 depending on what cameras (color/infrared in that pricing which is what i use at my house).

It uses a PCI interface.

If your interested PM me and i'll talk to you more about it.

But you also have lots of other options on newegg.com for lots of video capture cards.

Again this solution is for a real DVR system that records to a computer (you supply computer). If you want to just look at the camera once in a while, and not have any recording, then look at the Axis cameras. They are supported on almost every phone i've come across and have a decent enough interface, although not the best, it works.

Axis cameras can range about $250-$350 each... so it really depends. For a simple 1-2 camera installation, axis is nice, but for multiple cameras we always recommend regular surveillance cameras (you connect them via cable to your DVR)
 
^^^ Does your software support the PTZ stuff? I've always wanted to figure out how to use a PTZ that automatically follows the movement.
 
One software we use here at work is Security Spy its made for Macs only its a really nice and easy to use software, we also use axis cameras, most of the highend ip cameras have all the setting preloaded into the software.
 
We have 3 axis cameras at work.

I need to get a few more, but I need to stream them over the internet...

Not to hijack, but what IP cams have low bandwidth consumption?
 
AXIS and Panasonic are the best for Security and IP cameras IMO.

Both have fantastic lineups, though are expensive.
 
I installed this system (http://www.surveillance-video.com/4csbn160l.html) for my mother-in-law. I think you can access the base system remotely by connecting it to your LAN. Depending on what your looking for though, I may not recommend it. For example, if you require a high resolution, that system is not for you. If you want to be able to expand to more than 4 cameras, I'd recommend something else.

However, perhaps it's just me, but I prefer having an all-in-one system instead of installing software on a PC. That's typically more reliable and you don't have to keep your PC on all the time.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. Is the 'IP Camera' requirement just so you can access the system in general? or do you want to access each camera individually? If the former, you may not need an "IP Camera" system.
 
Cheap n easy? Maybe even one one that can pan n tilt?

Err, for IP cams, it just depends on what the codec they use. If bandwidth is a serious issue you could always put the ip cams on a different vlan with a NVR to aggregate all the streams then connect to the NVR etc... Of course the cheaper the cam is the crappier the image quality you get (in general.)
 
Ha, thanks for the suggestions guys. Been busy with the new year. I'll take a deeper look into this when I get over this hangover, ha.

I guess I was looking in the right direction with Axis.
 
I installed this system (http://www.surveillance-video.com/4csbn160l.html) for my mother-in-law. I think you can access the base system remotely by connecting it to your LAN. Depending on what your looking for though, I may not recommend it. For example, if you require a high resolution, that system is not for you. If you want to be able to expand to more than 4 cameras, I'd recommend something else.

However, perhaps it's just me, but I prefer having an all-in-one system instead of installing software on a PC. That's typically more reliable and you don't have to keep your PC on all the time.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. Is the 'IP Camera' requirement just so you can access the system in general? or do you want to access each camera individually? If the former, you may not need an "IP Camera" system.

I need to IP Camera to access the cameras while I'm at work. So the all-in one will not work.

Throw another name into the mix... Dedicated Micros. Has DVRs that you can connect with a web GUI.

All you do is run RG 9 (I think, basically just coax...) cable into the unit and it does the rest. It'll record until space is full and then start over-writing itself, keeping as much as it can.

I haven't heard of Axis though...

Whatever you use, just realize your internet connection's upload speed is what's going to kill you. Don't expect HD streaming or anything like that

I got crappy Comcast at home and at work, just the business variety at work. I get 16/2 at home and the same at work. I'm not really looking to stream HD, but if I can and afford it, let's do it.

Whats your budget? I sell systems here (its primarily what we do) using a card made by GeoVision. We sometimes custom build our pc's but if not, our distributor builds them the same as us... its a pretty good card, supports up to 32 channels (with 2 cards) and they sell a variety of them. I have a 4 channel myself at home running on an old shuttle pc (hey its cheap and worked). I record 3 cameras (they are not IP cameras). But the software that comes with it is big on remote access. Lots of various types of remote access from a web browser to iphone app (which is what i like).

Your looking at around $294 for a 4 channel card @ 30 FPS which is the card i use myself.
Cameras each will cost about $124-$146 depending on what cameras (color/infrared in that pricing which is what i use at my house).

It uses a PCI interface.

If your interested PM me and i'll talk to you more about it.

But you also have lots of other options on newegg.com for lots of video capture cards.

Again this solution is for a real DVR system that records to a computer (you supply computer). If you want to just look at the camera once in a while, and not have any recording, then look at the Axis cameras. They are supported on almost every phone i've come across and have a decent enough interface, although not the best, it works.

Axis cameras can range about $250-$350 each... so it really depends. For a simple 1-2 camera installation, axis is nice, but for multiple cameras we always recommend regular surveillance cameras (you connect them via cable to your DVR)

I need to access it off-site, I need constant streaming, and let's hope this doesn't make me hit my 250gb monthly cap that Comcast has. I'm guessing the Axis cameras can do mpeg4 which uses less bandwidth. I don't know about your system if it can do constant streaming and uses low bandwidth. If it does, it's a viable option.
 
^^^ Does your software support the PTZ stuff? I've always wanted to figure out how to use a PTZ that automatically follows the movement.

Yes it supports PTZ cameras. It allows you to control PTZ with a seperate controller, with a web interface, and it also has a "follow" function that will follow people. Also has some facial recognition stuff built in (it basically grabs a photo of your face and keeps it in a database so you look at a persons face and find recorded data based on that face)
 
With axis you can tone down the quality and limit the bandwidth it uses which is nice. No real recording features though just live camera view. Some software (like the one i mentioned) allows you to use axis cameras later on as well with their system which is nice. You have to pay for an IP camera license, but it'll work too.
 
With axis you can tone down the quality and limit the bandwidth it uses which is nice. No real recording features though just live camera view. Some software (like the one i mentioned) allows you to use axis cameras later on as well with their system which is nice. You have to pay for an IP camera license, but it'll work too.

Axis has recording software, the entry level is aroun $600 you can get good wireless and wired Axis entry level cameras for under $300.
 
Are there any cameras out there that work well at night that don't cost more than just leaving a cfl on 24/7 for a normal camera? Quite frankly 15watts on 24/7 looks a lot better than the extra $4-500 for the better camera.
 
Are there any cameras out there that work well at night that don't cost more than just leaving a cfl on 24/7 for a normal camera? Quite frankly 15watts on 24/7 looks a lot better than the extra $4-500 for the better camera.
If you have the chance to light an area- by all means do it. You aren't just helping the cameras, but you're detering any would-be criminals.
 
24/7 security lighting is not the best according to security experts. Best to use a motion light as it draws attention.

Static lighting often is an aid to criminals as they can see/know when people are moving around and such.
 
Back
Top