IP-based KVM Switch

Hey guys, here at work we're looking for an ip-based kvm switch (8-port) that would allow multiple users in at once. This switch will be connected to all of our computers that we're working on (we're a computer repair shop) so that people from different places in the office can work on computers without having to take up their deskspace or office space. Also this would allow us to remote in from home and take over a computer real quick to do simple things like continuing windows updates or starting a new AV scan.

Does anyone here know of a device, and moreso does anyone have personal experiences with these devices that might sway my opinion? I'm looking to do this for <$1000 but i'm starting to realize that it might not be that cheap.

I've found the linkskey LKV-9208IP but their tech support said that only one video stream is allowed at a time. We could have multiple people watching but there was only one port we could control at a time.

We have a school district that uses one from Avocent. It's two different 16-port IP KVM switches tied together. Seems to work fairly well. I don't remember how much the whole thing cost but I do remember it being VERY expensive....

You are going to pay a fortune for a KVM that allows multiple sessions. I don't really understand either, you are a repair shop but everyone wants to sit at their desk rather than at their tech benches?

Hell, I would say just use Windows Remote Desktop.. It's free ( a plus ) and you wouldn't have to do that much tweaking to get it installed.
Make an old 128mb flash drive with two batch files, one that enables remote desktop with a certain password for login, and one that disables it completely, for when you're done with said machine.
You could have as many streams as you needed to, without paying for anything.
(I'm sure repair shops have old 128mb flash drives thrown away all the time.. they're old :p)

My shop has used Raritan for one of our racks. Its not bad. I wouldn't call it great, but good (at least the version we have...). Its nice because you can get to the machine during POST and BIOS etc. Also, you can control the power outlet the machine is plugged into, so if its frozen, you can remotely cut power to that one outlet the the PC is plugged into.

@ockie - If this is going to cost a fortune then we won't do it. We are going to have to replace our monitors here soon and the savings in that cost alone would almost purchase an 8-port. This would allow us to be more productive and I could even tie it into our service database. At the moment this gear looks a little too pricey to even approach, but I'll be keeping an eye on the price. These kvm switches that you guys are talking about, can you access multiple devices with multiple users at one time?

Edit: also, not having a keyboard/mouse/monitor for every computer clears up a lot of bench space and allows us to put more computers on the bench at any given time.

@ockie - If this is going to cost a fortune then we won't do it. We are going to have to replace our monitors here soon and the savings in that cost alone would almost purchase an 8-port. This would allow us to be more productive and I could even tie it into our service database. At the moment this gear looks a little too pricey to even approach, but I'll be keeping an eye on the price. These kvm switches that you guys are talking about, can you access multiple devices with multiple users at one time?

Edit: also, not having a keyboard/mouse/monitor for every computer clears up a lot of bench space and allows us to put more computers on the bench at any given time.

Yes, you can have multiple users and they can be accessing multiple devices. Last I checked for a decent multiple user IPKVM it was in the range of $2,000+

i dont know why you need multiple sessions?

i work for a repair shop as well, we have a 32 port KVM over CAT5 that sits in our rack, we run a cat5 line to each location where a computer could be placed, then you have the terminal either usb/vga or ps2/vga.

then we have 4 consoles, one at each of our main desk, and then 2 consoles in the workshop area.

never need to have 2 people work on same machine, usually you work on a mchine and finish the job, not work on it and have the other tech fix it. thats just innefficient you will spend more time figure where the previous guy left off.

whatever you need let me know, Dell reseller and Aten reseller. We use aten and no problems. Only issue is sometimes you boot up machines and it says No VGA Input, have to restart and hit F8 and select Start VGA mode to knock down resolution.

Back