IP address resolving to wrong MAC address

Hi,

I'm on Windows, behind a router. I have a webserver setup behind the same router on a different computer. When I try to access the web server from my computer using a browser, the LAN IP resolves correctly to the MAC of the server. When I use the Windows HTTP Service, however, the IP resolves to the router's internal MAC address, which sends TCP RST each time I try to connect.

Anybody have any ideas why this would occur and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

I am six shades of confused. Let's see if I am understanding you correctly;

- How many computers do you have? I'm seeing 2, possibly 3.
- What is the HTTP service? Where are you running this from?
- How are you resolving the IP on your computer?

Almost sounds like you have two subnets.

1 subnet.

- 2 computers, both behind a router. so 3 ip addresses and 3 mac addresses.
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384273(VS.85).aspx it's a programming library. I'm running it from one of the computers, like an HTTP client.
- I specify the IP of the server, so no resolving to IP happens. But the ARP entry from IP to MAC address seems to be wrong, but only for the Windows HTTP service, and not other applications. That's where I'm more confused than you are.

- I specify the IP of the server, so no resolving to IP happens. But the ARP entry from IP to MAC address seems to be wrong, but only for the Windows HTTP service, and not other applications. That's where I'm more confused than you are.
Huh. So this is on your client computer. What's the output of arp -a?

Interface: 192.168.0.176 --- 0x10005
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.0.1 00-80-c8-21-0a-d2 dynamic

So that's the router's mac address. I even tried adding static entry, but still the same thing. I'm thinking it's a bug in Windows HTTP services, since it works just fine for everything else.

I managed to get it to work by moving the client out of the subnet, and connecting to the server through the router with port forwarding.

Thanks for your help.

have you tried resetting your TCP/IP stack?

try this just for kicks to see if it helps

open the run dialog box and type:
netsh int ip reset temp.txt [enter]

and

netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]

a DOS window should appear and disappear. reboot. see if there are any changes.

Back