iOS4.2 on iPad rotation lock is now mute

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I can't seem to find any way to get it back. Anyone else noticed that?

Standby for Jailbreak fix for this in 3...2...1...?

Well maybe not that fast but given the amount of people that are irate over this I figure there has to be a patch coming soon.

Oh, I did not realize it was deliberate. How hard would it be to make it optional? I guess if it annoyingly tilts when I don't want to, I am just holding it wrong.

I guess they wanted to make it like the other devices where it is in the double click home button popup menu, I can't think of any other reason for this. It is less convenient and I don't need a mute right next to the volume rocker that already had the ability to floor the volume in a half a second rocker down switch hold.

Also I hear it doesn't mute stuff like pandora, but that's likely just a bug.

I don't like it either.

This change was revealed weeks ago.

Use the orientation lock switch in the multitasking menu. Double tap the home button, swipe left.

Oh, thanks that's not so bad, I was looking in the setup area.

Consistency is key. Now it's the same as iPhone/iPod touch. In a month, no one will ever remember there being an issue.

I like it in the multitasking menu better anyways since the cases I have use make it a bit difficult to use the switch.

The change blows.
No kidding. They didn't even have the sense to disable the hold-to-mute feature on the volume rocker. Why do I need the hold-to-mute when I now have a mute switch?

Sometimes Apple fucks up very badly, and this is one of those times.

Yeah, it sucks. The switch makes sense to easily be able to suppress noise from "surprise" phone calls - which the iPad is incapable of receiving.

Yeah, it sucks. The switch makes sense to easily be able to suppress noise from "surprise" phone calls - which the iPad is incapable of receiving.

The iPad is still capable of emitting sound from its speakers, however.

The idea is to standardize the function of the switch across iOS-using devices. It seems silly now, but makes sense over the long term if the second generation iPad is planned to have a FaceTime camera.

Either way, get used to it. They’re not changing back. Sadly.

Also I hear it doesn't mute stuff like pandora, but that's likely just a bug.
It's intentional. The mute switch (on iPhone, iPod touch) only mutes the *background* sounds. If you launch a youtube video or do some other action that generates foreground sounds, they are audible despite the mute. This works really well actually.

They didn't even have the sense to disable the hold-to-mute feature on the volume rocker. Why do I need the hold-to-mute when I now have a mute switch?
True, they forgot to remove that. It should be gone, just like on iPhone.

Sometimes Apple fucks up very badly, and this is one of those times.
Come on, it's not _that_ big a fuck up.

Why didn't apple just rename it the "option switch" and give you the choice of what it does in the options menu?

Seems like there's people on both sides and it doesn't seem like that difficult of a thing to program...

I can live with the new way to lock, I just cannot believe they screwed up the CCK to use (or in this case not use) the SD Card feature. I can get no more than 12 photos to show up. I like the Folders and multi-tasking, but will need to revert back to the old OS, as the SD card, loading pictures are more important awaiting a fix for the other stuff. So much anticipation for November, then as Usual with Apple, disappointment with Jobs doing all he can to control everything. I have not learned how to use Jailbreak, but I believe I am going to learn.:eek:

Why didn't apple just rename it the "option switch" and give you the choice of what it does in the options menu?

Seems like there's people on both sides and it doesn't seem like that difficult of a thing to program...

Because Apple hates giving options. Just like how you cannot customize email or calendar alert notifications...which is complete BS.

Come on, it's not _that_ big a fuck up.
It's the idea that Apple would take a very good approach to the issue of rotation locking — by having a dedicated switch for it, which is a very un-Apple sort of approach — and then throw it away in an OS update. It's really just a completely bizarre move to make deliberately. Usually the idea is to go from good to better, or from bad to good, or something to that extent, but this was a move that went in the exact opposite direction.

I mean, I've never seen another iPad owner, pre-iOS 4, say "gee, I wish this rotation lock switch were a mute switch!". The hold-to-mute function of the rocker is a pretty good approach to quickly muting without a dedicated switch or button. But now you're sure seeing a lot of iPad owners saying "this mute switch was better when it was a rotation lock switch". To me, that alone indicates pretty strongly that this was a big fuck up. It's the details that make Apple products what they are: details that are important to get right.

I mean, I've never seen another iPad owner, pre-iOS 4, say "gee, I wish this rotation lock switch were a mute switch!". The hold-to-mute function of the rocker is a pretty good approach to quickly muting without a dedicated switch or button. But now you're sure seeing a lot of iPad owners saying "this mute switch was better when it was a rotation lock switch". To me, that alone indicates pretty strongly that this was a big fuck up. It's the details that make Apple products what they are: details that are important to get right.
Actually, it's the other way around.

Coming from the standpoint of a long-time iDevice user, I was annoyed for a while that the orientation lock wasn't a mute switch. If you use your iPad in silent environments (class, libraries, meetings, hospitals, etc.) then you'll see why it was never a good option to rely on the rocker press to mute. For one thing, you don't know if it's muted until you're live...and by then it was usually too late to prevent at least one stray sound.

What ended up happening was I kept my iPad permanently muted to avoid those kinds of mishaps...

AFAIK, the orientation lock was merely a work-around since the iPad didn't have any other way of locking the orientation until the OS merge in 4.2. This was not the case of having a good implementation and then tossing it for no apparent reason--it was planned before the iPad's initial release.

really would like to get this old feature back as I hate the constant switching of landscape and portrait.. the switch was easy and quick

The new way of locking orientation it is fine, really.

I thought it would be annoying as fuck too, but it really isn't.

Back