iOS Update Bricks Repaired iPhones Again

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Motherboard reports that if you have had your screen repaired on your iPhone 8 by anyone other than Apple, and have updated to iOS 11.3, you likely already know your phone no longer responds to touch commands. Oopsie. That's just a bit worse than a "Do No Remove" sticker.

Apple released iOS 11.3 at the end of March, and the update is killing touch functionality in iPhone 8s repaired with some aftermarket screens that worked prior to the update. That means people who broke their phone and had the audacity to get it repaired by anyone other than Apple is having a hard time using their phone. “This has caused my company over 2,000 reshipments,” Aakshay Kripalani, CEO of Injured Gadgets, a Georgia-based retailer and repair shop, told me in a Facebook message. “Customers are annoyed and it seems like Apple is doing this to prevent customers from doing 3rd party repair.”

It's really frustrating. 11.3 screwed up the bluetooth audio in my 2015 Civic. I should just buy an aftermarket head unit with Carplay.

When you pay a company all this money for a freaking phone, you own it and should be able to take anywhere you want to get it repaired. This tactic is illegal and they are just gonna get themselves in trouble for this crap.

When you pay a company all this money for a freaking phone, you own it and should be able to take anywhere you want to get it repaired. This tactic is illegal and they are just gonna get themselves in trouble for this crap.

When is the FTC going to start leveling fines again Apple for doing things like this?

This is dumb. Sure I get it warranty void if 3rd party does work on it. But bricking phone for it? They should get the shit sued out of them.

Warranty void on the part replaced. You're legally allowed to self repair (and / or pay someone to repair). The law was put in place many years ago to prevent companies from forcing you to use them exclusively.

It's why your car warranty isn't void if you take it to a non-official service center. It's also why those "warranty void" stickers aren't enforceable. See:
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

"This has caused my company over 2,000 reshipments," Aakshay Kripalani, CEO of Injured Gadgets, a Georgia-based retailer and repair shop, told me in a Facebook message

Well, should probably be using official parts or at least good clone parts that use the same components of the original.

Clearly they're using China clones that likely have a China clone of the IC which has some way Apple can detect it. That, or the LCD has a digital ID and the phone knows what screen is should have (Apple with the only ability to change it).

Last edited:
I would imagine that violates Right to Repair laws in a number of states.

Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1

Warranty void on the part replaced. You're legally allowed to self repair (and / or pay someone to repair). The law was put in place many years ago to prevent companies from forcing you to use them exclusively.

It's why your car warranty isn't void if you take it to a non-official service center. It's also why those "warranty void" stickers aren't enforceable. See:

That law was only put into effect for automobiles. That is why many states are putting in right to repair laws now.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-300-of-1974.pdf

I thought they got done for doing this last time when they was bricking peoples phones when it did not detect the original fingerprint scanner on the home button (now they just disable the fingerprint and say hay we did not mean to be brick your phone just disable fingerprint scanner as punishment for not getting apple to fix it)

11.3 is a POS.

I wasn't having the cpu throttling issue, so I got nothing fixed by it, and so far I have run into.

1) even worse start up times for apps.
2) randomly getting weird audio problems
3) they redid the whole interface for podcats AGAIN, and it just continues to get worse and worse.
4) Seems to have broken or degraded the performance of 1Blocker.

That and unlike most upgrades, no option to avoid it or delay it perpetually was available.

This is dumb. Sure I get it warranty void if 3rd party does work on it. But bricking phone for it? They should get the shit sued out of them.

Actually, as the FTC reminded everyone, warranty can't be void by 3rd party repairs sooooo this is just illegal.

Ownership is a dying concept, along with privacy, companies no longer consider you "owning" anything of "theirs." Instead, you are leasing the "privilege" to use "their product" which means they feel they have the right to stop you from using it anytime it suits them.

Ios11.3 bricked my 6s plus and apple replaced it even though it wasn't under warranty. They are honestly extremely pleasant to deal with. This issue sucks but doesn't change how i feel about apple service

Reactions: Liver
like this
11.3 is a POS.

*Snip*

That and unlike most upgrades, no option to avoid it or delay it perpetually was available.

I delayed the update multiple times. In fact I didn’t know it was available went into settings, saw and read about 11.3, and then didn’t update for a few days until I remembered while I was at home.

I usually see the reminder while at work and always tell it to remind me later or whatever the delayed option is called. I know I did that for 11.3 as well.

Not saying I support this, but Apple isn't breaking the right to repair act.

If replacement part A wasn't confirmed by Apple to work with its software, then apple isn't liable to make sure Part A works in the future. It's a hard decision to differentiate between a hidden bug that surfaced after an update and apple specifically changing the software to make the difference in replacement parts no longer work.

Compounding this issue is courts seem to continue to support the DMCA trumping the right to repair, or at least saying they do not contradict each other even if incompatible. So when software gets involved, your right to repair effectively goes out the window.

Not saying I support this, but Apple isn't breaking the right to repair act.

If replacement part A wasn't confirmed by Apple to work with its software, then apple isn't liable to make sure Part A works in the future. It's a hard decision to differentiate between a hidden bug that surfaced after an update and apple specifically changing the software to make the difference in replacement parts no longer work.

Compounding this issue is courts seem to continue to support the DMCA trumping the right to repair, or at least saying they do not contradict each other even if incompatible. So when software gets involved, your right to repair effectively goes out the window.

I thought I read somewhere earlier that this was happening even with official Apple hardware. Take one OEM Apple screen directly from one phone and swap it to another and you still run into the issue so it doesn't necessarily have to be third party screens.

-Edit: Just found what I read earlier and it had to do with the ambient light sensor. Not the touch sensor as mentioned in the OP.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...en-screen-repair-is-done-by-third-party-shops

Last edited:
My wife’s 5S home button broke after we had already bought the 6S and they replaced it for free. All she had to do was go the Apple store and show a tech it didn’t work, later that week it was returned to her.

Love my Oppo R11, a great phone and if the screen breaks I just go out and buy another phone as it's actually affordable. They've also resolved their updating frequency, I've received two updates in the three months of owning it.

As a 2012 Mac owner, when it comes to Apple I honestly think more people need to vote with their wallet and send the message to Apple that such actions will not be tolerated.

Love my Oppo R11, a great phone and if the screen breaks I just go out and buy another phone as it's actually affordable. They've also resolved their updating frequency, I've received two updates in the three months of owning it.

As a 2012 Mac owner, when it comes to Apple I honestly think more people need to vote with their wallet and send the message to Apple that such actions will not be tolerated.
Those things are going for $500+ on ebay, not sure I'd call that affordable.

Those things are going for $500+ on ebay, not sure I'd call that affordable.
Yeah I have to agree but unlike Apple fanboy's most Oppo owners(disc players or phones) I conversed with can actually cite specs/facts as to why they're better and not just regurgitate some promo materials. I can't afford them but I do appreciate that with the loyal customers I've encountered.

It says nothing about bricking other than the headline... stop using fkn knockoff parts that are likely skimming your data or breaking the touchID security. Apple have a right to ensure the security of their products and not support any 3rd party parts.

It says nothing about bricking other than the headline... stop using fkn knockoff parts that are likely skimming your data or breaking the touchID security. Apple have a right to ensure the security of their products and not support any 3rd party parts.
Watch Louis rossmann's videos on this stuff. 3rd party repair places don't have access to Apple parts. It is not about security. Changing the screen and they it stop working after a update is bs when it worked fine before.

The right to repair isn't for automobiles only, heck the FTC stopped short of namedropping the following tech companies :

HTC
NINTENDO
SONY

Instead they mentioned example clauses that matched them word for word, scrubbing the company name... Also they said that they are gonna give them a couple months to clean up the act, so I'm pretty sure that if this is brought to their attention they will be VERY interested.

Access to Apple parts is no problem. There's tons of venders in China with parts. Have you not seen the video where a guy built an iPhone from scratch using vender parts?

But let's say Apple/foxconn don't allow parts to escape their supply chain. They would still be in violation of the right to repair laws in some states.

It was put in place because of automobile companies, but it covers "a buyer of consumer goods for personal use" - far more than "only ... automobiles".

Read the law link I posted.

I thought I read somewhere earlier that this was happening even with official Apple hardware. Take one OEM Apple screen directly from one phone and swap it to another and you still run into the issue so it doesn't necessarily have to be third party screens.

-Edit: Just found what I read earlier and it had to do with the ambient light sensor. Not the touch sensor as mentioned in the OP.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...en-screen-repair-is-done-by-third-party-shops

Yeah, that one's with oem parts swapped from one phone to another. A little hazy on details, but the artical it links to has Apple opposing right to repair acts. Looks like it is software related because of Apple's use of Horizon callibration software post repair and thats not available to everyone.

Sounds alot like John Deere. Sure anyone can repair the hardware. Good luck getting the software to work now.

Well, should probably be using official parts or at least good clone parts that use the same components of the original.

Clearly they're using China clones that likely have a China clone of the IC which has some way Apple can detect it. That, or the LCD has a digital ID and the phone knows what screen is should have (Apple with the only ability to change it).

This is what is referred too as moving the goal posts. The Source of the part is irrelevant if the vendor is confident the quality is there. It is absolutely an abuse of apples position to just blanket disable devices like this.

Read the law link I posted.
Learn the difference between state and federal law. You linked to the state of Michigan's law. We're talking about federal law (FTC = FEDERAL Trade Commission), specifically the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Learn the difference between state and federal law. You linked to the state of Michigan's law. We're talking about federal law (FTC = FEDERAL Trade Commission), specifically the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says the mfg can't VOID your WARRANTY by blaming 3rd party Part X for defective OEM Part Y unless Part X can be proven to cause the damage to Part Y. Really doesn't support right to repair. Or John Deere would be in a ton of trouble by now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonb...oul-of-right-to-repair-movement/#1efc94115ab9

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says the mfg can't VOID your WARRANTY by blaming 3rd party Part X for defective OEM Part Y unless Part X can be proven to cause the damage to Part Y. Really doesn't support right to repair. Or John Deere would be in a ton of trouble by now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonb...oul-of-right-to-repair-movement/#1efc94115ab9

Are you intentionally being obtuse? You came in claiming that the act quoted only applies to non-brand-tied replacements in automobiles, with the reasoning being that it's the impetus to states passing right to repair laws. When corrected on that, you said to read the law you posted as if it's evidence that the law only applied to automobile, even though the law you linked to was state law. Now you're moving the goalposts to a different subject in the area of software modification and exectuion rather than in-kind replacement from third party parts.

Hypothetical scenario: buy iPhone, drop it and crack screen six months into owning it. Get an OEM replacement screen installed. Update comes out and the phone is effectively a brick. Take it to the store.

"My phone stopped working. I'd like a replacement under warranty."

"Sorry, it appears the device was opened and the screen replaced with a non-Apple part, and that invalidates your warranty support because we consider it damage and warn you in our warranty: 'Important: Do not open the Apple Product. Opening the Apple Product may cause damage that is not covered by this Warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this Apple Product.'"

The MMWA comes into play as replacing a cracked screen is "reasonable and necessary maintenance", i.e. the replacement part is installed "to keep any consumer product performing its intended function and operating at a reasonable level of performance".

That act further stipulates
MMWA said:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1)
the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2)
the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor

Since the phone functioned properly with the replacement screen before the update, I think Apple would have a hard time satisfying the commission that the warranted product will function only if their particular screen is used (especially given the other parts of the apple warranty, which calls out the specs on apple.com as the technical specifications that a third party part must meet). Further, it certainly doesn't seem that such a waiver would be in the public interest.

Apple released an update today that fixes any phones the first 11.3 update broke.

Back