iOS Flaw Allows You To Bypass The iPhone Lock Screen

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wonder how the hell people figure out stuff like this. The next time the FBI needs an iPhone's lock screen bypassed they can save a few million bucks and call this guy instead.

He never actually unlocked the iPhone but he as able to access the the phone owners information and the photos. Not good.

Interesting, it's like how we get online at my work with our locked computers. Jump through enough hoops and you will end up in an unsecured location.

But he did not get full access there. Just photos and contacts.

Interesting, it's like how we get online at my work with our locked computers. Jump through enough hoops and you will end up in an unsecured location.

But he did not get full access there. Just photos and contacts.

What else is there of any relevance besides texts and emails that people would not want you to get ahold of via a phone?

Photos and contacts are plenty to blackmail a person.

I wonder if you can get into email and such. I may have to mess around with it to find out.

This doesn't work. It doesn't show my number. I only got that far after enabling control center and siri on the lock screen. I am verifying this as not working.

Correction, it works but with siri and control center enabled on the lock screen, then your siri my info contact must have limited info to be able to show the number.

Last edited:
I believe you have to set it up to show contact info like that on the lock screen but regardless it's an interesting.

The question I have and can't test because my wife is at work, but I'm not sure Siri will respond to all voice commands unless it knows your voice. I would have liked to see him test it with someone else's phone instead of his own phone with Siri set up with his voice.

Nothing was bypassed, this is all stuff which is optional to access from the lock screen.

I believe you have to set it up to show contact info like that on the lock screen but regardless it's an interesting.

The question I have and can't test because my wife is at work, but I'm not sure Siri will respond to all voice commands unless it knows your voice. I would have liked to see him test it with someone else's phone instead of his own phone with Siri set up with his voice.

I can't find a setting for that.

Hehe, I remember doing that in school via the help menus.

He keeps saying not a hacker, but fuzzing input until you get something is about as apt a description of hacking as I could imagine.

The relevant settings are under Settings > Siri, Settings > Control Center, and Settings > Notifications > Phone

Phone number is still not showing. there wasn't anything in Settings > Notifications > Phone that would enable a number unless you have to enable and disable settings in a certain way

Phone number is still not showing. there wasn't anything in Settings > Notifications > Phone that would enable a number unless you have to enable and disable settings in a certain way
I didn't actually test it. The Siri setting is to control Siri from a locked screen (can disable that rendering his entire hack inoperable), Control Center allows you to make it so nothing shows up on the screen as an alert, and the Phone settings display things like missed calls on the lock screen.

Remember that the hack is that you get a hold of a locked phone and ask, "Who am I." You have to setup your contact card correctly in the "Me" section for this to work (and be able to access Siri while the phone is locked).

Assuming you have your Me contact card setup correctly, what happens when you asked your phone, "Who am I?"

I have tested it. My Me contact is setup correctly. It only shows my name, Job title, and company. I have my contact filled out with just about everything possible, including my phone number.

Even when unlocked, it shows more, but not the number. you have to press the contact to show the rest of the info which includes number.

I tested that part and my phone number does come up when I ask Siri from the lock screen, "Who am I?"

The part I haven't tested was whether turning those settings off made my number not come up. Sorry that wasn't clear. I don't know why your phone number isn't showing, but something isn't set up correctly (or maybe it is if you don't want this to happen).

My entire Me card shows on the screen. Maybe try scrolling down? IIRC, when Apple implemented this the response for why this shows up is so someone can ask the phone who it's owner is and return it to them. You can test that by picking up your phone and asking, "who owns this phone?" and the same Me card will display.

Gorignak,

Go into Settings > Siri > My Info and double check that it's linked to your Me card.

Maybe this is where the issue is at. I don't have a "Me" card. I have one with my name on it which is linked to my info. tried scrolling.

Got the number to show finally. I created a new contact with only name and phone number. If you have very few items entered on your contact, it will show. I have URL, address, birthday, and facebook messenger coming up on my actual contact. Can't scroll for more.

Something still isn't right if you can't scroll the card.
When unlocked, URL, address, birthday, and facebook messenger will show when I scroll. When locked, it only shows my photo, name, job title, and company. Scrolling doesn't reveal more when locked.

Turn Siri off for the lock screen. Problem solved. Dunno why this nerd thinks he's done something news worthy.

Back