iOS: clean install vs. upgrade

Quiz

Gawd
My iPhone 6s is on iOS 9.3.4. Once iOS 10 is out, should I just do an upgrade or will it be better to do a clean install? My iPhone 6s has yet to see a wipe/clean install since I got it back in March. Been upgrading only since I got it (but all those upgrades were versions of iOS 9 and not major changes).

CLEAN INSTALL OR DIE!!! :)

But seriously, that really only applies to installing desktop/laptop computer operating systems - it always has been my recommendation and always will be even in spite of some OSes having a "rolback" feature (I just don't trust that aspect, I don't care what OS it is or how successful other people are with such a process). With respect to smartphones I suppose it won't really matter for the most part but it should theoretically work the same way: an upgrade leaves your data in place, a clean install is going to wipe the device entirely which is what would happen on an iPhone if you wait till the next big version of iOS is available and then you grab the IPSW firmware file directly from Apple and then force install it using iTunes.

If it's been working fine through all the upgrades, there's no real reason to think the next big one will have issues but I'd suggest waiting maybe a week before actually installing it to see what's happening with the sheeple at large who upgrade instantly whenever Apple tells them to (which usually means something gets fucked up in some respect).

Err on the side of caution and wait the extra week then see what happens.

I'm just going to run full backup with iTunes. And then do the update. And then wait for my iPhone 7 to arrive from T-Mobile with Jump.

As a general rule: if it's an OS update, do a "dirty" upgrade. I'd only start fresh if it's a new phone or you've been having problems that you think might carry over.

My iPhone 6s is on iOS 9.3.4. Once iOS 10 is out, should I just do an upgrade or will it be better to do a clean install? My iPhone 6s has yet to see a wipe/clean install since I got it back in March. Been upgrading only since I got it (but all those upgrades were versions of iOS 9 and not major changes).

iOS performs clean installs when upgrading. Your old install is blown away, a new install is set in place, and then your previous settings are imported.

As a general rule: if it's an OS update, do a "dirty" upgrade. I'd only start fresh if it's a new phone or you've been having problems that you think might carry over.

This is not a rule in any way. Mainstream commercial operating systems do not function this way anymore. We're not in the Windows XP era.

iOS performs clean installs when upgrading. Your old install is blown away, a new install is set in place, and then your previous settings are imported.

This is not a rule in any way. Mainstream commercial operating systems do not function this way anymore. We're not in the Windows XP era.

I'm not necessarily referring to that kind of experience. It's more that new phones tend to have new screen sizes or resolutions that could prompt a rethink of your setup, and that a new phone is a good time to start fresh and get rid of the apps you don't use. This is also a chance to get rid of cruft that may have accumulated in the data for a given app (we've all had apps that add to that nebulous "documents & data" section).

Itunes install if you want to jailbreak eventually, OTA if you don't care. Personally I have never had issues with jailbreaking and OTA updates, but then again I usually revert back to stock since a JB doesn't add anything for me. Those are the other two "options" to consider.

I'm not necessarily referring to that kind of experience. It's more that new phones tend to have new screen sizes or resolutions that could prompt a rethink of your setup, and that a new phone is a good time to start fresh and get rid of the apps you don't use. This is also a chance to get rid of cruft that may have accumulated in the data for a given app (we've all had apps that add to that nebulous "documents & data" section).

This has nothing to do with the concept of a clean install versus an upgrade install. This has to do with restoring from your backup after the OS completes its default clean install.

You'll probably be just fine upgrading to iOS 10. If you had a iPhone 6 or 5S that has never seen a clean install I'd say you should consider it. How easily can you recover your backup? I use iCloud for my backups so I recover pretty easily when I have to do a re-install.

I've been running the iOS 10 Public Beta's for 2 months now. What I'll probably end up doing is right before the release iOS 10, I'll delete the developer certificate off my phone and then to a clean install of the GM version of iOS 10. Last year when I was running the Public Betas of iOS 9 on my iPad I forgot to do all of that and the iOS 9.1 beta came out very soon after the iOS 9 GM. I had to wait until iOS 9.1 came out before I could switch back to the regular release. You can't restore an iCloud backup to an older version of iOS that the backup was taken from.

Back