iOS 6 released

How long did it take you guys to install? Mine has been sitting right near the end of the "Preparing Update" part for like 20 minutes. I guess it doesn't help that I got a phone call in the middle of it, but still I would think that is should pick back up where it left off?

Yeah, it'll pick up. It does sit there for a while. I'm about half-way through the initial reboot.

1.08 GB for the new iPad, must be getting hammered, it's taking me a half hour to download it.

Kinda meh on the iPad. I can talk shit to Siri now, but other then that, not much to get excited about with iOS 6 on the latest iPad.

Very meh on the iPhone 4. The new maps app I dont like as well, and the other "features" are mostly pointless.

I have the iPhone 4 and it's running faster than its been for a while.

At least Apple is doing something right.

Found a bug, can anyone confirm?

If you leave your phone in iMessage, the screen will not turn off automatically.

EDIT: Or is this a "feature" I'm not aware of?

anyone having problems with wifi? It'll connect for like a second then switch to 3G, and for some reason it keeps trying to go to apple.com after it disconnects.

Found a bug, can anyone confirm?

If you leave your phone in iMessage, the screen will not turn off automatically.

EDIT: Or is this a "feature" I'm not aware of?

I'm actually happy to hear this. Hope it's a feature.

I like the subtle UI improvements.

While most whine about changes in Maps, it's just something new to get used to. And there's going to be lots of fine tuning and polishing by Apple. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it's too early to judge. I will need to experience it on the iPhone 5. With it's higher quality display and performance, you could see a noticeable and appreciable difference.

Until Friday!

I'm pretty happy with the new Maps. The directional routing is IMO better than Google Maps; likewise, Google Maps' traffic feature never seemed very accurate to me. And I don't live in New York so I couldn't care less about public transit mapping.

My iPhone 4 is definitely more responsive and, dare I say it, snappier since installing iOS 6. My only gripes with iOS now focus almost exclusively on Mail and the tedious nature of clearing notifications in Notification Center, as well as a lack of syncing those actions. For example, if I clear a Twitter notification on my iPhone, it still shows up on my Mac until I manually clear it. I really hope this gets fixed in a future update.

Beyond that, it's a nice, solid update that adds a lot of nice features. Can't wait for my iPhone 5 to arrive.

Tried out the new maps -- works great for turn by turn shit near me

On campus/foot, it's absolute garbage, though.

anyone having problems with wifi? It'll connect for like a second then switch to 3G, and for some reason it keeps trying to go to apple.com after it disconnects.

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! I hope they fix this shit soon.

Took less than 30 minutes on my iPhone 4S and almost an hour on my iPad 3, both using wifi.
I just noticed the Cloud Tabs on my iPad, I can see what tabs are open on my iPhone and open them on my iPad.

I'm not sure I'm digging the new maps application; seemed a bit 'laggy' on a 3rd gen iPad...everything else seems ok so far..

Looks like more tabs available in Safari on the iPad too.

Yeah, on my Ipad 3, I haven't noticed too much of a difference. Safari does feel a bit faster, but I am not overly pumped about it.

My iPhone 4 does feel a little snappier. Hopefully we can get google maps back as an app. It was nice being able to email myself direction links and have them open natively instead of on the mobile website.

It feels pretty fast on my iPhone 4S, especially on Safari. I usually use Waze for my navigation. so I have no complaint about the new 3D map feature.

Wifi issues that everyone is having should be fixed. Turn off Wifi and then turn it back on. Should be good now.

A server that the iphone pings to make sure the connection is active was down on Apple's side. It's back up now so just do what I said and should be good.

Absolutny love the navigation software.... Much more detailed and fluent then Navigon. The new AppStore is also easier to navigate.

Siri is bit meh though - not using American accent makes some problems with machine understanding me and we'll, it's bit strange when in a non English speaking country you suddenly speak in English to your tablet.

It is not cool that they silently enable syncing of Safari tabs by default.

The last thing I want is all my browsing history synced in the cloud. Major invasion of privacy. Not cool Apple, not cool.

Also, the new Maps app is trash. Wow, I can fly over and view in 3D, whoop-dee-fucking-doo. It has 1/10th the level of detail Google's did, and takes way too long to load their (admittedly very pretty) overlays. They should have held off on launch this until they had a comparable amount of map content to go with it.

It is not cool that they silently enable syncing of Safari tabs by default.

The last thing I want is all my browsing history synced in the cloud. Major invasion of privacy. Not cool Apple, not cool.

Also, the new Maps app is trash. Wow, I can fly over and view in 3D, whoop-dee-fucking-doo. It has 1/10th the level of detail Google's did, and takes way too long to load their (admittedly very pretty) overlays. They should have held off on launch this until they had a comparable amount of map content to go with it.

I was with my sister who about to update her iPad last night. We stopped once we saw how bad the new maps was and she uses maps all the time. Never thought I would see such a big company take such a major step backwards.

Wifi issues that everyone is having should be fixed. Turn off Wifi and then turn it back on. Should be good now.

A server that the iphone pings to make sure the connection is active was down on Apple's side. It's back up now so just do what I said and should be good.

Thanks for that! Works at the office, hopefully it works at home as well.

I was with my sister who about to update her iPad last night. We stopped once we saw how bad the new maps was and she uses maps all the time. Never thought I would see such a big company take such a major step backwards.

I'm not sure why you think it is a step backwards it's probably the best mobile mapping software there is now. Definitely way better then google maps, I guess that is why we all have opinions.

Some will like it and some won't I'm still really happy with photo stream sharing it's like shareshot without the requirement of adhoc networking. Able to take a picture and share it with family in Colorado instantly while on vacation pretty nice feature. also a huge fan of the VIP inbox for mail iOS 6 has a lot of great changes thumbs up over all previous versions.

I'm not sure why you think it is a step backwards it's probably the best mobile mapping software there is now. Definitely way better then google maps, I guess that is why we all have opinions.

The app itself is fine, but the data source supplying it has endemic problems and is missing essential information and features that the previous product provided. I think if the new Maps app were fed by Google data everything would be moving forward, but this new one is definitely a step back for certain people. Lack of up-to-date public transit info for some very urban areas is a glaring omission.

Feels snappier overall on 4S and Safari feels way way faster.
I'm trying to get a feel for whether it feels faster because the progress bar seems to be integrating over time or because it's genuinely faster. I know Nitro has improved by a pretty large amount, but I still can't tell. Scrolling in Safari feels smoother, though sometimes these things get placebo-ish.

Passbook seems like it could be interesting, but I don't use tickets all that frequently, so it's probably going to be a bit of a waste for me.

The app itself is fine, but the data source supplying it has endemic problems and is missing essential information and features that the previous product provided. I think if the new Maps app were fed by Google data everything would be moving forward, but this new one is definitely a step back for certain people. Lack of up-to-date public transit info for some very urban areas is a glaring omission.

The maps thing sort of concerns me, but I'm also expecting that on a jailbroken iPhone that someone will pull the old Google maps app off and move it to iOS6 and hack it to work.

Funny how I came across this thread just after reading Gizmodo's article about the whole thing. They pretty much have the feeling like I do, it's not a great start, but it's not entirely without hope either.

http://gizmodo.com/5945014/why-apple-maps-wont-get-better-anytime-soon

Even Google Maps when it was born was pretty bad, but it most certainly got better with time, and Apple has the cash to pump into it to make it comparable in short order if they really want to.

I think we can all remember the day google maps was a big pile of crap as well. I have faith they will move the direction needed just somewhat question if they will ever have walking maps and the likes.

I mean we know that the google maps was done by a fleet of different transportation types for locations and that it took a good 3-4 years before it was anything to call home about. I suspect if google wants to adapt an application to the itunes store it could happen. Either way it's just a waiting game at this point.

Your browsing history is not being synced. Your currently open tabs are being synced. Apple is sending URLs from one device to another. They aren't storing anything. And you can turn it off.

Basically, syncing URLs between devices logged in with your personal Apple ID does not constitute anything near to a violation of privacy. Less hyperbole, please.

I think we can all remember the day google maps was a big pile of crap as well. I have faith they will move the direction needed just somewhat question if they will ever have walking maps and the likes.

I mean we know that the google maps was done by a fleet of different transportation types for locations and that it took a good 3-4 years before it was anything to call home about. I suspect if google wants to adapt an application to the itunes store it could happen. Either way it's just a waiting game at this point.

I think that comparison is pretty shitty. Google maps when it came out was decent for what was out. Don't look in hindsight and go "Google Maps was a pile of shit" because you are comparing to today's Google Maps.

The big complaint around Apple Maps is that there is shit like Google Maps and all the other GPS shit out that mapping companies have developed for over those 4 or so years. Yet for some reason Apple's use of the mapping data takes it back to the stone age (for mapping).

Last edited:
My iPhone 4 is definitely more responsive and, dare I say it, snappier since installing iOS 6. My only gripes with iOS now focus almost exclusively on Mail and the tedious nature of clearing notifications in Notification Center, as well as a lack of syncing those actions. For example, if I clear a Twitter notification on my iPhone, it still shows up on my Mac until I manually clear it. I really hope this gets fixed in a future update.

Can you still completely disable notifications? I dont like them. If I wanted android I would have android.

I think that comparison is pretty shitty. Google maps when it came out was decent for what was out. Don't look in hindsight and go "Google Maps was a pile of shit" because you are comparing to today's Google Maps.

The big complaint around Apple Maps is that there is shit like Google Maps and all the other GPS shit out that mapping companies have developed for over those 4 or so years. Yet for some reason Apple's use of the mapping data takes it back to the stone age (for mapping).

I would say that's a simple agree to disagree you can't say don't think about all the time because it's that good because of all that time. Now if Apple said we have been working on this mapping software for 8 years and this is what we came up with. I would agree 100% but it's not the case at all and I my opinion on google maps when it came out it was no better than what you see on any new underdeveloped mapping software.

It took quite a while before google maps was even worth using. I remember back then Expedia or actual Streets & Maps was 100% better then anything google put out. I wouldn't be surprised to see google release a maps application for iOS at all and the bing maps is a pretty good stand alone for the time being as well.

I'm happy with it either way I can see why people like both Android and iOS there are plenty options or both type of users.

I updated yesterday on my Verizon iPhone 4 (original), and did it through Wi-Fi to boot! Working great so far, I like the new VIP email shit, and the Do Not Disturb feature as well. I like the new look of the UI as well, very fresh, albeit subtle. Running faster too, or at least it seems that way, and battery life is much better than it used to be (utter shit). Digging it so far...Grabbing an iP5 (80...'ish % sure) next week. I have too many apps on my account that are paid for to give up by switching to another platform...

Can you still completely disable notifications? I dont like them. If I wanted android I would have android.
Yes. Settings -> Notifications -> Select an app -> Select 'None'. You can also revert back to the old bubble-style notifications on a per-app basis.

Back