iOS 11 GM Leak Confirms Multiple iPhone X Features

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Apple will officially announce the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X this Tuesday, but 9to5Mac has already gotten its hands on the iOS 11 Golden Master, ruining some of the surprise: aside from the rumored LTE Apple Watch and new AirPods, they have uncovered many flagship iPhone features, such as improved portrait lighting, new 4K video recording options, a 1125×2436 “True Tone” display for white balancing, and “Face ID,” the new facial recognition system that will replace Touch ID.

The OLED iPhone is also expected to totally ditch the concept of a Home button in favor of a full screen experience and a dynamic area denoted by a line at the bottom of each app. And there’s also clues about how the power switch (called the side button and not lock button) will be used to interact with iOS without a Home button. For example, double-clicking the side button will show Apple Pay cards and passes just like on the Apple Watch. You can also press and hold the side button to invoke Siri.

I just can't wait until Apple has the "courage" to remove all buttons and ports entirely. Of course it will only be able to interface with other approved Apple devices such as the iNetwork (for cell access, $99/month/device), iRouter (WiFi replacement, $299) and the iPowercord (charger, $99). Hell, Apple should hire me as CEO and I will make it happen. I will then leave on my iGoldenParachute ($99 million).

The iPhones must flow!

I'm getting to the point that I don't even care about "new tech" anymore. Burn out I guess.

Give me something relatively simple that texts/calls/simple internet browsing and I'm happy.

My currently un updated 5c (we all know the updates bring in "planned obsolescence") works just fine. Althought i suspect a new battery may the in the future.

Truthfully. I'd almost go back to a Razr flip phone.

As a nexus user, whom got burned twice in one shot (both N6 and N9 dropped at a damn point release) I am seriously considering getting an iPhone.

The problem is that I'm using Fi and it is such a nice service, specially their international roaming.

Funny note, even on Fi and having a stock N6 install, I'm not getting security updates either.

Android updates are just a mess.

As a nexus user, whom got burned twice in one shot (both N6 and N9 dropped at a damn point release) I am seriously considering getting an iPhone.

The problem is that I'm using Fi and it is such a nice service, specially their international roaming.

Funny note, even on Fi and having a stock N6 install, I'm not getting security updates either.

Android updates are just a mess.
I have an android and it updates fine? It asks to update, I say yes, it reboots, and its done.

I have an android and it updates fine? It asks to update, I say yes, it reboots, and its done.

And then the interface for your camera, phone calls, security settings, system settings, etc etc are all of a sudden totally different. With features removed, new useless 'features' added, and you've got to learn how to take a simple picture. Again.

And you still can't just plug the phone into your desktop and copy files. Cause getting your phone to just work when you plug it in to a Windows 10 computer is just too difficult. And they're too busy changing how you open the camera and take pictures, and giving all kinds of apps control over your camera so you can't even take your own pictures if you mistakenly installed and opened some stupid random app.

And then the interface for your camera, phone calls, security settings, system settings, etc etc are all of a sudden totally different. With features removed, new useless 'features' added, and you've got to learn how to take a simple picture. Again.

And you still can't just plug the phone into your desktop and copy files. Cause getting your phone to just work when you plug it in to a Windows 10 computer is just too difficult. And they're too busy changing how you open the camera and take pictures, and giving all kinds of apps control over your camera so you can't even take your own pictures if you mistakenly installed and opened some stupid random app.
No idea. I really only use it for email, texting, browsing, some calls, and the camera which works fine for Win 10.

I've had no issues with using my iPhone and windows 10 for the camera and movies.

As far as music goes. I used to transfer music between the phone and windows 7, but since Spotify came around I just download the songs from that and off I go.

New Airpod design? Hm. I'm intrigued. I liked the current ones. Minus that I have to use Siri for every. god. damn. thing!
Me: Next Song.
Siri: Here's the stock quotes for (Random stock).
Me: Wha- No.

They're fine for everything but going to the gym. I've tried heavy bag work (boxing) with them. No fell out within a minute. Normal benchpress - fell out within 3 sets.

But going for a walk. Being able to put both or either one of them and still have music. Running about at work. Driving (You can have 1 in). It's pretty awesome. At Walmart (Standing in lines or behind people got a lot more bearable)

I wish they came in glossy/matte black though. I don't want to pay Colorware to paint them. I mean - It would be awesome. But no. Whites stand out like a sore thumb.

Yes it is? Something weird with your devices or something?

I will assume that you are not that informed on the mess that is Android updates, but right now this is how my current experience is:

1- Nexus 6 gets dropped at a point point release, Android 7.1.1.
7.1.2 doesn't have anything extraordinary to guarantee a device to be dropped. Devices are normally dropped at a full release, like Android 8.

2- owners of Nexus 6 are supposed to get security releases for another year and considering that I also use project Fi, you would think that updates are not blocked, yet, Nexus 6 owners are not getting those security updates on time, which comes out every month.

3- you want to see how bad it is? Verizon is notorious in blocking updates, yet Pixel owners got Android 8 before Fi owners did.

So yes, there is a lot of wrong with the updates.

i wonder if the face photo unlock hack will work.
I'm curious how well Face ID will work.

If you ever need someone to unlock their phone, just put them in a headlock and show them the phone.
The FBI will be happy with this functionality: no forceful gabbing of finger to unlock.

Cant wait to pick up the iPhone X! Going to be an amazing phone.

Sucks that phones have reached the $1000 mark though.

Cant wait to pick up the iPhone X! Going to be an amazing phone.

Sucks that phones have reached the $1000 mark though.

For a phone that's likely going to be more than $1,000 I would hope it has an audio jack and touch ID.

As it stands now, we have to pay a lot of money for just a little bit of a technological advancement. Was looking forward to 8 until I read all that crap. My 6s plus is still rocking along just fine.

FaceID and TouchID sure. But FaceID only is a skip for me, or any fingerprint sensor on the back is also a skip. I dont like facial recognition to unlock my phone, I will never use it.

For a phone that's likely going to be more than $1,000 I would hope it has an audio jack and touch ID.

As it stands now, we have to pay a lot of money for just a little bit of a technological advancement. Was looking forward to 8 until I read all that crap. My 6s plus is still rocking along just fine.

True, I still have my day 1 6S Plus I'm going to sell now. Been great. Just really looking forward to what I'm sure will be an amazing screen and 4k @ 60FPS and just an overall great camera system as far as mobile is concerned. I know there are a lot of android nut swingers on this website, that I'm sure of, BUT this phone is going to rock.

ditching the home button is good news, but never liked face id stuff on any phone. only thing that may make me upgrade would be 4k recording features

True, I still have my day 1 6S Plus I'm going to sell now. Been great. Just really looking forward to what I'm sure will be an amazing screen and 4k @ 60FPS and just an overall great camera system as far as mobile is concerned. I know there are a lot of android nut swingers on this website, that I'm sure of, BUT this phone is going to rock.

LOL. Rock your wallet. 4k screen is fucking pointless on a phone.

I will assume that you are not that informed on the mess that is Android updates, but right now this is how my current experience is:

1- Nexus 6 gets dropped at a point point release, Android 7.1.1.
7.1.2 doesn't have anything extraordinary to guarantee a device to be dropped. Devices are normally dropped at a full release, like Android 8.

2- owners of Nexus 6 are supposed to get security releases for another year and considering that I also use project Fi, you would think that updates are not blocked, yet, Nexus 6 owners are not getting those security updates on time, which comes out every month.

3- you want to see how bad it is? Verizon is notorious in blocking updates, yet Pixel owners got Android 8 before Fi owners did.

So yes, there is a lot of wrong with the updates.

Sounds like a verizon issue for all but the 7.1.1 update.

Ditching touchID means they have lost me as a customer. I am not turning on lights in the dark just to unlock my dam phone. Will run my 7plus into the ground then look elsewhere.

Which is funny, as I copy files to and from our Android phones under Win10 quite frequently (having 40GB+ of music on huge microSDs for each phone); and it works just fine. Just don't try and overload it with 10 simultaneous operations and you will be fine. Also get almost monthly updates to my now 2+ year old S6, so don't have this issue either. You running a 6 year old Elcair based phone or something like the HTC Thunderbolt????

So they're skipping the iPhone 7s? When 8 was going to be the big anniversary phone, I got it, but now that that's the X, not sure why they're not making a 7s. I'll just read about it tomorrow.

Is there any information on how they are doing FaceID? Ideally it would need to be equivalent to the way Microsoft has implemented it utilizing Intel RealSense (3D depth camera) platform in order to be secure. However if they are just using the standard front facing camera...no go.

But it seems just like Samsung. Apple wasn't able to get a fingerprint reader under the display working either.

Is there any information on how they are doing FaceID? Ideally it would need to be equivalent to the way Microsoft has implemented it utilizing Intel RealSense (3D depth camera) platform in order to be secure. However if they are just using the standard front facing camera...no go.

But it seems just like Samsung. Apple wasn't able to get a fingerprint reader under the display working either.

They are using two ir blasters to get depth and the camera itself is what I got from the live event. There is a regular ir and one that uses ir dot blaster. There is also a ir flood illuminator.

Back