ION vs H55/H67 for HTPCing

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm just totally f*($@ing sick of dealing with my Foxconn Ion(1) and all its problems I keep encountering.

Anyways, without wanting to list everything I've been encountering, does H55/H67 give out less trouble than Ion for those who've used it? XBMC Live and 7MC/MB wise.

I'm just about to build a H55/H67 little box from the lack of complaints I've.. not heard. Don't have to keep f$(*%ing around with incompatabilities and shit.

What problems are you experiencing?

I'm using an ION and Celeron ULV combination (Zotac ION-ITX-P) without problems. Don't have neither a Clarkdale nor Sandy Bridge to compare with, and don't intend to get one due to the 24p bug.

I have an Asus AT5ION-NT (the 1 right below the blue tooth one) and it is fantastic for Windows 7 Media Center.

Haven't had a single issue out of it yet. Runs for months at a time, silent, sips power, performs great.

Wouldn't think of using anything else for a PVR

Just way too much headache and BS; just thinking if I had gotten say, the popular Revo and not the Foxconn 330i I wouldn't be in this position. The appeal of just having raw horsepower to plow through any video without having to worry or care about encodes, decodes and whatnot is very much enticing.

Eh whatever, H67 + brute force it is!

Well, if you don't care about correct 24p playback, then it should be a nice upgrade for you.

Ions are indeed shitty. I have one sitting on the shelf.

Yeah, it is a much better experience with even just an i3 :)

What on earth are you guys doing with your IONs since they are so shitty? Mine works perfectly well... :)

What's is the difference like? Or the experience from switching over and whatnot?

i feel like this is a generalization but since you own one, experience may vary. i too went with the at5iont-i & isk 100. they work really well together. netflix and hulu plus are just rockin' but i did have to upgrade my internet. i get about 20 Mb/s down and 5 Mb/s up... sometimes it's just your network

Ions stream just fine, once you get there. The ui just isn't as snappy as a more powerful CPU, along with a general feeling of sluggishness, and I fount it quite annoying.

Just didn't seem worth the money.

You can totally ship that to me if you want and I'm sure I will be able to put it to MUCH better use than you...

I am definitely intrigued by the Atom/Ion board. Fanless HTPC sounds like something I want. Valve, I sent you a PM.

Ions stream just fine, once you get there. The ui just isn't as snappy as a more powerful CPU, along with a general feeling of sluggishness, and I fount it quite annoying.

Just didn't seem worth the money.

My Acer Revo 1600 is plenty fast (XBMC Live xbmcfreak-livecd).
Enable ddsfanart in XBMC and the GUI flies.
Throw an SSD inside and it REALLY flies!

My revo is wired directly to the router, sharing my media via SMB.
Streaming a HD mkv file wirelessly (130mbps 802.11n) to my MBP is no problemo.

Best $200 I ever spent. ...yes the SSD cost something, but that upgrade was after about a year of already owning the revo!

XBMC doesn't do what I need it too.

And I find SSD's to be a waste of money right now.

XBMC doesn't do what I need it too.
And I find SSD's to be a waste of money right now.

Ah yes, to each their own. If you're wanting to stream Hulu/Netflix and all that jazz, XBMC probably isn't for you. Though it does great at streaming Youtube, Vimeo, PBS, and NPR. Even AirPlay works wonderfully!
...which is all I personally need, as all my media is added with Sickbeard/CouchPotato. :D

SSD gave my little revo a huge jump in performance. A simple 32gb was all I needed. Heck, it's overkill as I currently have 28gb available after the Live install. :p

My h55 intel mitx box is great for viewing everything and then some. I am running an i3-540 8gb of ram (way overkill), a slim bluray drive, a 2tb and a 40gb intel ssd boot drive. Very snappy box havent had a lick of trouble running anything. I even had an ATI 5850 in my silverstone g05 for a while and would run through some games from time to time. I imagine the cost for the itx board (if you go ecs) and an i3 would be comparable to an ion solution, and I would probably even go with the new sandy bridge solution 1155 now seeing as you get way better thread performance, and power draw on the new i3's. You can almost cram one of the fastest computers in a small box if you select your components correctly :)

APU's by AMD are coming out soon they have some nice itx showings.

My h55 intel mitx box is great for viewing everything and then some. I am running an i3-540 8gb of ram (way overkill), a slim bluray drive, a 2tb and a 40gb intel ssd boot drive. Very snappy box havent had a lick of trouble running anything. I even had an ATI 5850 in my silverstone g05 for a while and would run through some games from time to time. I imagine the cost for the itx board (if you go ecs) and an i3 would be comparable to an ion solution, and I would probably even go with the new sandy bridge solution 1155 now seeing as you get way better thread performance, and power draw on the new i3's. You can almost cram one of the fastest computers in a small box if you select your components correctly :)

What do you use for Netflix streaming and how does it look? The only thing keeping me from putting together this exact same build for an HTPC is that every time I've attempted to view Netflix on a PC it has looked like absolute crap. Low bitrate, jutter, etc. Looks great on my Roku and LG television with built-in Netflix player on the same connection though.

Back