• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Invalid boot.ini

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,799
Lately my computer during start up says "invalid boot.ini booting from C:/windows" not sure why it started doing this, I also thought there was a boot tab when you run msconfig that could fix the boot.ini but thats not showing up either. My pc runs fine when it starts up just not sure why it is showing this message.
 
Win2K, WinXP Home, WinXP Pro, Win2K3, Vista, etc etc... it would help to know which version you're talking about because it can make a difference when it comes to resolving the issue. I can make an assumption because you said msconfig but but but... I get tired of making assumptions for these kinds of issues.

More info, pretty please. ;)
 
Where is that error appearing if it still boots?

One option is to try the Recovery Console and use the fixboot command followed by bootcfg to save out a solid fresh copy of the boot.ini file. Worth a shot, I'd say.
 
Yeah bbz_Ghost is right. Start the recovery console from the XP MCE install disk and run fixmbr and fixboot commands at the console. That will most certainly fix it.

Did you recently make any changes to your system that might have modified the boot.ini file?
 
The error comes up right after the bios screen and right before the windows loading screen. Only changes I have made is that I installed c&c3 demo, and I also installed a 3d modeling program. Nothing else has changed. I was messing around with some broken ipods, one just slows your pc down when you try to use it (it restarts my friends pc when he plugs it in) the other has a dead hard drive. Thats all I can think of.
 
Back
Top