[Introduction] MSI Official Rep

glad to see MSI take an active part in the community. I am very happy with my MSI 290x and my MSI 77a motherboard

Also glad to see MSI here. I have a pair of R9 280 Gaming cards sitting on my desk. They are VERY well built cards.

I am too. I am making the switch from Asus to MSI. Will be buying 1 or more 970 or 980. I was very happy with the 270X I have right now.

i just had an MSI r9 270X just started creating horrible artifacts on my screen in the form of vertial and horizontal lines, i bought it about two or three months ago, do i file an RMA or a warranty claim?

i just had an MSI r9 270X just started creating horrible artifacts on my screen in the form of vertial and horizontal lines, i bought it about two or three months ago, do i file an RMA or a warranty claim?

Hey Argomahdi123,

Go ahead and file an RMA with us. We will take care of the card for you! http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/customerservice.aspx

if you have any questions about the RMA process, or you just want a status update, you are welcome to PM me your details and i can get on that for you ;)

Do you have an ETA on the 980 G4 GAMING release date?

I am taking a wild chance, any news on a 980 LIGHTING?

Unfortunately i dont have an ETA for the 980 gaming 4g right now. i will let everyone know once i do though.

Also, i have no news on a future 980 lightning, if there even is one. As a Official Rep for MSI, i am under NDA and cannot speak of future/unreleased products :p

Hey Eugene. The only reason I'd put myself through the nuances of SLI is for DSR. Any idea if they'll implement DSR for SLI eventually? The EVGA rep was clueless... you could show him up with some solid info!

I have owned an MSI 650i motherboard, a Geforce graphics card, and most recently an MSI gt780dx laptop. All have been good products. The laptop has the best speakers I have ever seen in that form factor. And the keyboard is great, Steelseries. I would definitely buy more stuff from you guys.

Welcome and thank you Eugene. Nice to see reps in consumer forums

quick question When you say "Our official policy is we do not want customer to make any modifications to the heatsinks" does replacing the thermal paste affect the warranty?

Hi Limitedaccess!

1) Our official policy is we do not want customer to make any modifications to the heatsinks, now that being said we do unofficially allow customers to make these mods if they wish to do so and it will not void the warranty as long as they keep the original and if the card ever needs warranty service they send it back with the original heatsink back on

Is there any chance that you at MSI could put that info somewhere in the warranty page? It can be quite a struggle to get the card through shops RMA process unless there's something official about using custom cooler (or re-applying the thermal paste).

Hi Eugene,

And welcome!
Glad to see you guys getting a bit more involved. Now I've asked MSI twice these questions I only got a reply about making a call to the Taiwan offices which is out of the question for me at the time.

1. So I want to buy a GPU from the US and bring it to the EU where I'm stationed at the moment. If need be can I RMA it to your HQ in the EU? Or do I need to ship it back to the US for a RMA?

2. So despite the "void if removed" sticker I can watercool it and still retain warranty, right?

3. Continuing from point 2 if my GPU fails from some kind of hardware damage (VRM, ram etc), but not from water damage or mounting damage, I'm still under warranty?

Thanks!

So I want to buy a GPU from the US and bring it to the EU where I'm stationed at the moment. If need be can I RMA it to your HQ in the EU? Or do I need to ship it back to the US for a RMA?

I need that answer as well. Is there RMA center in the middle east which can repair my graphic card if it gets broken?

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Been pretty swamped lately :p

Hey Eugene. The only reason I'd put myself through the nuances of SLI is for DSR. Any idea if they'll implement DSR for SLI eventually? The EVGA rep was clueless... you could show him up with some solid info!

Dayaks,
It seems Nvidia has stated that DSR will not work for SLI configurations (although i have seen some users stating that they were able to enable DSR even with SLI active). I wont be able to tell you if Nvidia will be able to implement DSR for SLI, as that is on their end.

I have owned an MSI 650i motherboard, a Geforce graphics card, and most recently an MSI gt780dx laptop. All have been good products. The laptop has the best speakers I have ever seen in that form factor. And the keyboard is great, Steelseries. I would definitely buy more stuff from you guys.

Awesome! thanks for the kind words. i agree our laptops and components are great. and the keyboard from Steelseries is one of the best in the industry.

Welcome and thank you Eugene. Nice to see reps in consumer forums

quick question When you say "Our official policy is we do not want customer to make any modifications to the heatsinks" does replacing the thermal paste affect the warranty?

Technically speaking, any modification has the possibility of voiding the warranty, but our RMA center is more "lenient" than other companies in that, if you send it back in the original configuration and the issue is not from a user modification or alteration, then we will honor the warranty. For example, if the only thing you do is replace the thermal paste, but there is an issue that was a manufacture defect, we will "most likely"(i cant guarantee 100% since every situation will be different) honor the warranty as long as our analysis shows that the issue never occurred from the re-pasting

Is there any chance that you at MSI could put that info somewhere in the warranty page? It can be quite a struggle to get the card through shops RMA process unless there's something official about using custom cooler (or re-applying the thermal paste).

Tup3x, we cannot officially put that on our warranty page, as it will cause many headaches on our end. As a business, we need to cover our bases. As for 3rd party shop RMA's, you can still go through our MSI RMA process and have no issue (as long as when you RMA the card the original is back on and the issue did not originate from the modification or re-application of thermal paste).

Hey eugene can i rma motherboard bent pins?

If it is a bent pin from the CPU socket, we consider that a physical damage and there is a repair cost. Can you let me know which pins you are specifically talking about?

Hi Eugene,

And welcome!
Glad to see you guys getting a bit more involved. Now I've asked MSI twice these questions I only got a reply about making a call to the Taiwan offices which is out of the question for me at the time.

1. So I want to buy a GPU from the US and bring it to the EU where I'm stationed at the moment. If need be can I RMA it to your HQ in the EU? Or do I need to ship it back to the US for a RMA?

2. So despite the "void if removed" sticker I can watercool it and still retain warranty, right?

3. Continuing from point 2 if my GPU fails from some kind of hardware damage (VRM, ram etc), but not from water damage or mounting damage, I'm still under warranty?

Thanks!

1) We offer a 1 year global warranty policy on our products, so yes you can have it RMA'ed in EU. No need to ship back to US unless you are over the 1 year mark.

2) Technically speaking, we, as a company, can decide to void the warranty if you do any modifications to the card (that is why we state it on our policy). However, as long as you aren't a n00b :p and your aftermarket water-cooler (or any user modification) is not the root cause of the problem and you install everything back to the way it was originally if you do need an RMA, you will be okay.

3) Like i said from my response to point 2, we will look at the card and if it is from a user created issue, we will not honor the warranty. if the issue is on manufacture side, we will more than be happy to honor it. :)

I need that answer as well. Is there RMA center in the middle east which can repair my graphic card if it gets broken?

I am unsure where the RMA center will be for our customers in the middle east, but i can find out for you.

Also, you can check with our Rep in Saudi Arabia:
Micro-Star NL Holding BV Saudi Arabia Liaison Office
Tel : +966-1460-3041-2
Fax : +966-1460-3061
Add : Al Rossais Commercial Center, 7th floor, office# 702,Olaya, Riyadh - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Hey AFD,

Unfortunately i have no news of any gtrx 970 ITX cards yet. If i do find out anything, you will be the first to know. Hopefully you can get one 3 days before then :D

Hi Eugene, thanks for joining the forum!

Noticed a few recent games are calling for higher VRAM recommended specs.

Currently considering the MSI R9 280x 6GB model, but I wonder if you have any plans for 8GB version of the GTX 970?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Eugene. I've been buying MSI products for years be it video cards, motherboards, whatever else and they've all been solid pieces of hardware for the most part...I don't have any complaints as far as I can remember :)

Look forward to looking you up should I have any questions or concerns.

Hi Eugene, thanks for joining the forum!

Noticed a few recent games are calling for higher VRAM recommended specs.

Currently considering the MSI R9 280x 6GB model, but I wonder if you have any plans for 8GB version of the GTX 970?

Bismo,

I cant comment on any unreleased/concept/speculated products as i am under NDA. :) sorry!

Hey Eugene, any future plans for video cards backplate? Just got the 970 and the only thing i wish it had was the backplate..

Eugene,

Any chance MSI will release a new BIOS to let us go over 110% power limit? I have 970 SLI but can't really use its full potential.

Hey Eugene, any future plans for video cards backplate? Just got the 970 and the only thing i wish it had was the backplate..

Cant comment on any future speculations/products/etc. However, MSI is always listening to user feedback! :D

Eugene,

Any chance MSI will release a new BIOS to let us go over 110% power limit? I have 970 SLI but can't really use its full potential.

I agree, I can't max my babies. So much headroom left!

Concerning a Bios to let you go over the 110% power limit, i will let our HQ know about this. The issue is that we limit it so we have less problems on consumer side. We do not want customers running into any fatal errors with their systems.

Kudos to MSI on their 970 and 980 geforce cards. They look like the best of the bunch. If I were in the market it is what I would buy.

I'd love some info on when I can expect to buy a 15.6" Ghost series laptop with a 970m or 980m in it.

Was very close to pulling the trigger on one with a 870M in it, but was hesitant (could have gotten it for 1400ish)

Need something better than this Dell 15R from 20010.

Hi Eugene,

MSI have recently announced the GTX 970 OCV1. From the few images posted, it looks like it has a variant of the popular 'NVTTM' cooler will a fully plastic housing and fan hub (which appears to have also been used on the N770-2GD5). Is this the case?
If you cannot confirm this, can you provide an image of the rear of the card?

Rear end (assuming you're referring to this) looks the same with images provided on press release -

100e.jpg

But you wouldn't know more importantly if the actually sink under the housing is the same and whether or not there are the 3 heatpipes for the base (versus just solid copper/aluminum, or less heatpipes). Also to some extent if the fan's characteristics are the same.

The internals would be best, but those generally aren't available as press shots. The rear would tell us the PCB layout, and specifically the GPU's position on the PCB (all NVTTM derived coolers to far have had the GPU in the same physical location, which is different from the 'short PCB' location all current GTX 970s are using).

Welcome! Any info on the new msi lightining? EDIT: Nvm read it in the thread.

Another one... Any plans to put any sort of EK blocks on ya cards?

Hi Eugene!

I've had an MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G on order with Amazon for almost a week now with no sign of it shipping any time soon. Any idea when the availability of these cards might improve? I was right in the middle of a system build when these were announced and I've got an R9 290 in hand that I don't want to miss the return window on!

It is nice to see a company rep on a forum like these. Love the personal involvement!

I'd love some info on when I can expect to buy a 15.6" Ghost series laptop with a 970m or 980m in it.

Was very close to pulling the trigger on one with a 870M in it, but was hesitant (could have gotten it for 1400ish)

Need something better than this Dell 15R from 20010.

Collegeboy69us, unfortunately i cant comment on any future/possible products due to NDA. You can head over to notebookreview Here and see what people are speculating. I am a official rep there as well :)

I am very glad that you are looking into buying a MSI notebook to upgrade your dell though:cool:

Hi Eugene,

MSI have recently announced the GTX 970 OCV1. From the few images posted, it looks like it has a variant of the popular 'NVTTM' cooler will a fully plastic housing and fan hub (which appears to have also been used on the N770-2GD5). Is this the case?
If you cannot confirm this, can you provide an image of the rear of the card?

Unfortunately i cannot confirm this. I dont have the card right now to provide any shots either. Once i do, i will try to take some shots for you to see.:)

Welcome! Any info on the new msi lightining? EDIT: Nvm read it in the thread.

Another one... Any plans to put any sort of EK blocks on ya cards?

Cant discuss future/speculated products, King4x4, as i am under NDA.

Hi Eugene!

I've had an MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G on order with Amazon for almost a week now with no sign of it shipping any time soon. Any idea when the availability of these cards might improve? I was right in the middle of a system build when these were announced and I've got an R9 290 in hand that I don't want to miss the return window on!

It is nice to see a company rep on a forum like these. Love the personal involvement!

I'm not sure when amazon will get their next shipment. Hopefully soon though. there is alot of factors that go into when they will get their shipment. make sure to check all of the different retailers. i find this website very useful: http://www.nowinstock.net/

if i find out about amazon though, i will update this thread and let everyone know!

p.s.Thanks for the warm welcome! always here to support our customers and fans :D

Cant comment on any future speculations/products/etc. However, MSI is always listening to user feedback! :D

Concerning a Bios to let you go over the 110% power limit, i will let our HQ know about this. The issue is that we limit it so we have less problems on consumer side. We do not want customers running into any fatal errors with their systems.
My MSI 4GD5T 970 only has a limit of 106% and hits that right out of the box. That means I get throttling and voltage drop at the times I actually need the gpu to perform and overclocking just makes the issue worse.

Msi LIghtning n780 owner here, and about to be a gaming 970 owner.

A few minor suggestions, which you may or may not have heard before.
On my lightning card the center fan has a somewhat annoying pitch to it, that can be tolerated while gaming but not during normal desktop usage. My case is a Silverstone Ft02.

My solution to this problem is to manually launch MSI vga fan control, and force the center fan to operate at 35 percent, this actually does not affect the temperatures during non gaming use. It would be nice if you either integrate this functionality into after burner, or at least allow vga fan control to have profiles that are setup at bootup. If this is not a possibility, maybe one should consider to use the same size fans on the next version of the lightning when and if NVIDIA releases their big-boy Maxwell (Which I will only buy if it has an absurd amount of ram).

Alternatively, throw it up on github, and that sort of functionality will be taken care of.

That and keep up the awesome work.

hey avddreamr,

thanks for the suggestion! i will relay this to our HQ for them to look into. I think if we can do this in afterburner, it would be great.

Cheers!
Geno

Ordered my 4th straight MSI GPU, yesterday. :)

GTX 285 -> GTX 580 -> GTX 780 -> GTX 970. All were reference except the 970. Went for the Gaming 4G. Not a huge upgrade from the 780, but it should keep things cooler in my ITX case.

Eugene Kuo,

There seems to be a lot of MSI GTX 970 cards with noticeable coil whine. Is MSI working on remedying this? If so, what changes will be done to the cards?

Ordered my 4th straight MSI GPU, yesterday. :)

GTX 285 -> GTX 580 -> GTX 780 -> GTX 970. All were reference except the 970. Went for the Gaming 4G. Not a huge upgrade from the 780, but it should keep things cooler in my ITX case.
If the 780 was oced its little to no upgrade at all. In fact depending on the speeds, the 780 could be faster in some games. And if you look at the 970 Gaming review here on hardocp it uses more power than the reference 780 if thats is what you had. So if your 780 was reference then the 970 Gaming will actually makes temps higher in your little case.

Back