Introducing Dell Monitor Price Alerter v0.5

petvirus said:
ok, i can live without a standalone app, in this case a suggestion, ie feature request!

- on the front page you have all the prices of stuff today and stuff yesterday:
* if there is a difference between those 2 numbers for one product, make the text red so people can see it right away.

How do you know he hasn't done that? There aren't any price differences yet. :D

PsyKo[H] said:

I've got 2 emails notices about price changes, and when I click on the site, it doesn't highlight them. I thik the fella that made it said that they are supposed to be bolded when the price changes. It might be screwed up.

PsyKo[H] said:

Yes, you are right. When the price is different, the whole line will be bolded. It's quite visible, really.

SheepNutz said:
I've got 2 emails notices about price changes, and when I click on the site, it doesn't highlight them. I thik the fella that made it said that they are supposed to be bolded when the price changes. It might be screwed up.
For a breif moment yesterday something in the parser or something got screwed up and set the price of a monitor to nothing. This would have sent out alerts for that monitor (along with others). Curiously enough, the error was fixed by itself 3 minutes later with the next update. Sorry if this caused you any confusion or inconvenience.

Hey... at least it's sending out the e-mails ;)

Oh, and for those 3 minutes - it was bold :)

gamefreak1450 said:
That would be almost physically impossible unless there was a list of coupons somewhere.

Try these
http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php
http://www.fatwallet.com/store.php?store=208 Dell Home
http://www.fatwallet.com/store.php?store=328 Dell Small Business
http://www.fatwallet.com/store.php?store=956 Dell Canada

DealSvengali has a website at www.DealSvengali.com and his Dell Page is here: http://dealsvengali.com/dell_coupon_deals.html

Now your only problem is figuring out how to use them! :)
Sorry but I can't help with that.

How about another column to the right of "Most Recent Price", being "Percent change" as glacing at that would make it easier to see what's changed.. at a glance :)

BlackIce72 said:
2007 went up by $100 or so, then came back down in 1 minute

Same thing happened to the 1907FP.... went up then down... I wonder what Dell uses to update prices. Is it automated or someone has to type it in... Man, this app opens up a whole world of mystery.
:)

PsyKo[H] said:
Same thing happened to the 1907FP.... went up then down... I wonder what Dell uses to update prices. Is it automated or someone has to type it in... Man, this app opens up a whole world of mystery.
:)

Wow... so true. Maybe the blowout was actually just a prolonged price change.

I'm sorry, when I made it so you don't receive updates any more after it sends one, I didn't forsee ths kind of action occuring.

gamefreak1450 said:
Wow... so true. Maybe the blowout was actually just a prolonged price change.

I'm sorry, when I made it so you don't receive updates any more after it sends one, I didn't forsee ths kind of action occuring.

Why not change it so that it has a subscribed time limit? Get emails for a week, month, or so. Or user selectable.

The monitor price check is awesome, but it would be nice if people would post some of their favorite websites that show Dell coupon codes and such for discounts on gear. I remember one that showed all kinds of discount codes (some had count limits, some were just day limitations with expirations). Anyone know of those sites?

Klink Hammer

KlinkHammer said:
The monitor price check is awesome, but it would be nice if people would post some of their favorite websites that show Dell coupon codes and such for discounts on gear. I remember one that showed all kinds of discount codes (some had count limits, some were just day limitations with expirations). Anyone know of those sites?

Klink Hammer

Yes, links to some were posted above. I am considering the first one, but I am still devising a scheme to parse the text into what the coupon does automatically. Or, worst case scenerio, just have users input what they do automatically.

rodsfree said:
Why not change it so that it has a subscribed time limit? Get emails for a week, month, or so. Or user selectable.

Sorry for the double post, but here is the reason:

Because:
1) I am lazy
2) The way it currently works is every time it downloads the prices, it checks to see who it notifies. If it didn't delete the notification after the first time, then you would receive a notification every 3 minutes when the script ran (assuming the price was really changed)

First off, the OP is awesome! Thanks!

Now then, I told it to e-mail me when the 2007fpw drops in price, and it said success. Now can I go in again and say the same for the 2407fpw? Or will it override the 2007 and I only get emails for 2407?

hmmmm

mdameron said:
First off, the OP is awesome! Thanks!

Now then, I told it to e-mail me when the 2007fpw drops in price, and it said success. Now can I go in again and say the same for the 2407fpw? Or will it override the 2007 and I only get emails for 2407?

hmmmm

It will not overwrite it. You can put in as many notifications as you like (within reason please).

So far, the running average is about 2 notifications per person...

Yeah all I want is 2... 2007 & 2407... :D

EDIT!!!!

is it better to monitor home or business?

mdameron said:
Yeah all I want is 2... 2007 & 2407... :D

EDIT!!!!

is it better to monitor home or business?

Heh. Forgot about that ;).

I'm not sure. You'd have to ask some of the more deal-inclined people here. My bet is Small Business because I got my monitor from there at a discount.

It's a bird? No! It's a plane! NO! It's version point seven!

New in v0.7 -----------------------------------------------
* SMS & AIM notifications (not totally implemented yet)
* Very new UI... I think it's pretty sweet if you ask me.
* More options for selecting when you receive notifications.
* Donation link. Drop me a few bucks if you wish :)

http://kingdooner.com:82/dell/

Go ahead and check it out. SMS and IM support will be coming soon, approximately in the amount of time it takes for me to figure out how to do them.

One suggestion I can make after glancing at the page a couple times a day would be to allow price notifications on a monitor regardless of it's section of Dell's site (home/business). By this I mean I want to buy a 2007FPW. I don't care whether I get it from the Home site or SB site. I want a price alert if either of them drop below 350, but since they usually move in price together I don't need 2 alerts from both sites if the price drops. Just a small suggestion which may need too much workaround based on the current framework to be worth it. :cool:

man, this could be the greatest email farming method I've seen in a while! :D
Looks snazzy, I'm in.

"The page cannot be displayed."

Could it be an internet filter on my companies network?

medel said:
man, this could be the greatest email farming method I've seen in a while! :D
Looks snazzy, I'm in.

Heh. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have made it look this nice :).

I swear that I will not sell or otherwise distribute your e-mail addresses, for the record.

r0gue3 said:
"The page cannot be displayed."

Could it be an internet filter on my companies network?

Probably not, I am hosting it off my cable modem so the people going to it may have DDoS'd it. Just try again.

The donations link tried to charge me shipping for the donation. :confused:

I clicked on the donation link and it asks you for he donation amount and shows shipping at $0.00, then once you click to continue and it gives you the total, it adds 1.95 S&H to whatever you wanted to donate.

I just deducted 1.95 from my original amount and sent it through. :D

It's not much, but it's the first donation I've ever made on the net, so that ought to count for something. :cool:

I might make another one once I actually use the thing and it saves me a butt load of money. :D

PsyKo[H] said:
The donations link tried to charge me shipping for the donation. :confused:

I clicked on the donation link and it asks you for he donation amount and shows shipping at $0.00, then once you click to continue and it gives you the total, it adds 1.95 S&H to whatever you wanted to donate.

I just deducted 1.95 from my original amount and sent it through. [emoticon deleted]

It's not much, but it's the first donation I've ever made on the net, so that ought to count for something. :cool:

I might make another one once I actually use the thing and it saves me a butt load of money. :D

Wow! Thanks so much! Yeah... if it saves anyone money, I expect a cut ;)

Edit: I worked out the kinks in the Paypal link... it should be fixed now.

Apply this to other websites on a large scale, feed the information through to a website, and you will have the biggest Hot Deals website on the net!

wonderful idea

subscribed :p and ill donate too if the site alerts me to a 2407 @ a great price

Tom D

nice...

my name is Tom and last name starts with D too.

THANKS FOR THE PROGRAM, now if only they'd bring on the $160 lcd's again :D

BTW why not make it where you can get a private message here or @ another forum when price drop's?

Nice now if you could do something about dropping the price of that 2007 FPW a bit more that'd be great ;)

Just a heads-up, for some reason every minute I'm now getting ~4-10 emails about the E177FP, which I think it's only supposed to send 1 period?

Other than that, looks like a great utility! Thanks :)

Wow Tom, nice work!

I'll Paypal you some of the savings when the 2407 drops in price!

Back