Into the Fold

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Hey all!

I got interested in Folding thanks to the WU (that's Wife Unit not Work Unit) and decided to check out my favorite forum. Lo and behold I found the [H]orde. My thought was if you're gonna participate in something, might as well do it with the best 'eh? :D So I joined the team.

I haven't got the hardware that I've seen here scouring the forum (looking at how to get setup and started) but my E4300 seems to fold pretty well running @ about 1457PPD on bigger WU's. Yeah.. yeah.. before someone brings it up, that E6600 belongs to the WU and she's Folding for her online gaming community.... but I'm working on her! She's running the graphical client and has a spare core it seems.... hmmmmmm.

I saw the Chimp Challenge thread, and since I'm working the next 3 days, set one of the cores to the new user to test, and will be converting over the other core tonight when it finishes the current WU. Hope it's ok to setup early, it seems to be from what I've seen in the Official thread...

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hey.

Cheers and let's go [H]ardApe!

Welcome welcome!!!

/beers and tamales to nomad8u!! Glad your here, hope you stay awhile.

Have the WU drop by, well get her drunk and convince her to joint the [H]orde with you... works everytime!!

Seriously, happy to have you here, you have indeed joined the [H]ardest team in the world!!

Fold On and Fold [H]ard!!!!

Welcome to the [H]ardest team!

Grab your badge when you get a few WU under your own name.

Also Glad to hear your going to work with us on [H]ardApe :cool:

I haven't got the hardware that I've seen here scouring the forum (looking at how to get setup and started) but my E4300 seems to fold pretty well running @ about 1457PPD on bigger WU's. Yeah.. yeah.. before someone brings it up, that E6600 belongs to the WU and she's Folding for her online gaming community.... but I'm working on her! She's running the graphical client and has a spare core it seems.... hmmmmmm.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hey.

Cheers and let's go [H]ardApe!
Welcome! Very nice to have you aboard. :cool:

BTW, the console client will probably be more productive than the graphical version. You can mention that to your wife and since there's a spare unused core, either you can install a console client on that or move both cores over to the SMP client, which will be far, far more productive overall.

If you have any questions, ask away. :)

Welcome to the [H]ardest team!

Grab your badge when you get a few WU under your own name.

Also Glad to hear your going to work with us on [H]ardApe :cool:

Badges.... we don't need no steenking Badges!

I know the little gray [H]'s are kinda hard to see but they're there... trust me... ;)

Welcome to the team and thanks for joining in for the Chimp Challenge!

Welcome to the team and thanks for joining in for the Chimp Challenge!

Happy to help.

Here's to our worthy opponents!

ChimpMoon.jpg

BTW, the console client will probably be more productive than the graphical version. You can mention that to your wife and since there's a spare unused core, either you can install a console client on that or move both cores over to the SMP client, which will be far, far more productive overall.

I've already mentioned I could setup the console clients as services on each core and she'd get more done that way, but I swear her eyes just keep glazing over the more I talk..

I've done some reading here on the SMP client, and the only thing keeping me from going that route already is that both our boxen are setup so we boot right into Windows without the logins. It seems like you have to have the login screen (need to have a login setup for the account w/ Admin rights for SMP no?) and click on the user (only one user per system besides the Admin account) and login. I might test that out on mine as I seem to remember there being a way to setup autologin though.

I've done some reading here on the SMP client, and the only thing keeping me from going that route already is that both our boxen are setup so we boot right into Windows without the logins. It seems like you have to have the login screen (need to have a login setup for the account w/ Admin rights for SMP no?) and click on the user (only one user per system besides the Admin account) and login.
Yes, you have to configure a login account with password.

I might test that out on mine as I seem to remember there being a way to setup autologin though.
I just use TweakUI to make it automatic, so if there's a spontaneous restart and I'm not present, it will log on its own.

Yes, you have to configure a login account with password.

I can just set a password for my current account? If so, I have admin right set for my account, can I set it from there, or do I have to login as Administrator to set my normal account with a password?

I just use TweakUI to make it automatic, so if there's a spontaneous restart and I'm not present, it will log on its own.

I have TweakUI, but don't see that on the Login settings. I have "show Roscoe on Welcome screen" ticked, and "show Administrator" unchecked. Will that option become available once I setup a password?

Welcome aboard nomad!

Yes you can set a password for your current accout, since it already has admin rights.

Once you've setup your password of your account then its Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2
Make sure your pointing a your user name and untick the box "user must enter a user name and password to .......".
Click ok and in the next screen you should be able to add your password.
Click ok and now when you restart, you will auto-login to your account with your password.

Luck ........... :D

Once you set it, you'll never have to type it again. Folders never have to log on because they never log out. :D

I have TweakUI, but don't see that on the Login settings. I have "show Roscoe on Welcome screen" ticked, and "show Administrator" unchecked. Will that option become available once I setup a password?
It may depend on the version you have. On my version it's under Logon>Autologon. Then you check the box for loging on automatically, etc. You will probably have to set a password as mentioned in the other posts. You can either set it to auto-logon there or in TweakUI as I described above.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions for getting SMP setup! After the contest I'll give it a go. Sounds like it shouldn't be any problem.

Since I've got a setup working, I don't want to be screwing around with it during the contest..

Back