Interview: Battlefield 3 and the 'dying' PC platform

So damn true.

Elitists are simply hilarious. Note to them: STFU.

It's not elitist to want the potential of your favorite platform utilized. In recent years, there's countless examples of how the industry have treated the PC gamer like shit. It's no wonder we're pissed, and bitter.

Look at the available footage of BF3; there is no goddamn way that will come anything close to looking that good on console. The difference between the console and PC versions of BFBC2 is large enough.

Yes and no - the core gameplay was the same between the console and PC versions of BF2 but the weapons, graphics, maps and interfaces were all radically different. BF2 and BF2:MC are definitely not the same game.

PC Gaming is far from dying, and will probably never die... consoles will die, they will become outdated and unupgradable... that is why consoles will consoles have always sucked anyways, you can't upgrade them.

Until Microsoft learns this and implements upgradeable GPU and CPU with their consoles, PC gaming will always be better in terms of Graphics (always, obviously) and especially in terms of controls. Keyboard and mouse is 10x as technical and customizable, and console games are almost always the same controls, whether you like them or not.

BF3 is going to rock on the computer from what I've seen and read, if it doesn't I will still be waiting for the next true BF2 successor like many people on this forum and in the PC gaming community all around the world..... if they make it another crap ass console port, well.... it will not sell at all, they surely should know that.

PC Gaming is far from dying, and will probably never die... consoles will die, they will become outdated and unupgradable... that is why consoles will consoles have always sucked anyways, you can't upgrade them.

I won't comment on anything else, because I stopped reading when you said "consoles will die"...

No they won't. We'll have less developers focused on PC Gaming in less time, than consoles dying. Do you have any idea of how profitable the console market is ? And I'm talking about game sales, not console sales themselves.
Just have a look at Microsoft's financial reports and take a look at their entertainment business (where the Xbox 360 is). They spend millions in advertising, yet they make even more millions with game sales.

In short, consoles will not die. Not even close.
But then again, I don't think anyone wants consoles to die. Consoles have their place. The problem are developers that create content based off the lowest common denominator, which is quite a bad approach and is the reason for such dismay in the PC Gaming community and the recent console ports.

The video we saw is proof it is not being played on a console. Unless I missed some grandiose interview where it is said that portions of that gameplay is on another console - then I assume by seeing "WASD" on the corpse dragging portion meant it was being played on the PC.

I think it's pretty hard to hate on BF3 at this point, but I gotta ask: is this a Battlefield game? Then why are all of the promo screens and trailers for single player shit? Why haven't we seen a single vehicle?

The game looks super impressive, but come on, this is Battlefield, not Call of Duty.

I would guess the reason we haven't seen any of that yet is because they still have about a year of space they need to cover with new trailers and screen shots, how ever I have to say to spite the fact that the trailer they did put out was very pretty, I would have been far more excited to see something like the BF2 e3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGB3aBQKvNc

That grabs you, and it shows off what the game has to offer. The trailer they came out with for bf3 could be any recent modern era shooter...

I guess what I'm saying is how does this new trailer separate this game from COD or any of Battlefield's competitors? The answer is unarguably that it doesn't, and I really hope they remedy that problem with upcoming media.

I would have been far more excited to see something like the BF2 e3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGB3aBQKvNc

That grabs you, and it shows off what the game has to offer. The trailer they came out with for bf3 could be any recent modern era shooter...

Yeah, but, the problem with that is, well, look at that trailer, that's not really how BF2 turned out. It's enough to get a general idea, I guess, but quite a bit changed by release, and certainly in the years after.

From the looks of the gameplay thus far I think that they are going to do this one right and treat the PC gamers the way we should be.

Until Microsoft learns this and implements upgradeable GPU and CPU with their consoles, PC gaming will always be better in terms of Graphics (always, obviously) and especially in terms of controls. Keyboard and mouse is 10x as technical and customizable, and console games are almost always the same controls, whether you like them or not.

BF3 is going to rock on the computer from what I've seen and read, if it doesn't I will still be waiting for the next true BF2 successor like many people on this forum and in the PC gaming community all around the world..... if they make it another crap ass console port, well.... it will not sell at all, they surely should know that.

you must really have no idea how business works. you think MS and sony want people doing upgrades them self, you know how much money that would cost them if people upgraded their PS3 instead of buying the PS4? Yes, specific consoles do die, thats what companies want, they want hardware to become old so people buy the next one up. mouse and keyboards are not technical, the elements behind a keyboard and mouse are pretty basic. but they are precise, although I prefer some games on a controller, I really dont like playing sports games or GTA with a kb/m.

Last edited:
you must really have no idea how business works. you think MS and sony want people doing upgrades them self, you know how much money that would cost them if people upgraded their PS3 instead of buying the PS4?

Just keep changing the the socket like on PCs. I only upgrade a cpu once, if I'm lucky, before the socket changes. Similar stories for the different buses.

For example, I built my current PC in 2008. 3 years later I have to buy a new mobo to take advantage of the faster HW. Meaning it's almost a completely new PC outside of the case and PSU.

Just keep changing the the socket like on PCs. I only upgrade a cpu once, if I'm lucky, before the socket changes. Similar stories for the different buses.

For example, I built my current PC in 2008. 3 years later I have to buy a new mobo to take advantage of the faster HW. Meaning it's almost a completely new PC outside of the case and PSU.

It's not just that, for a lot of the early life of these consoles the platform owners make a loss on all the hardware sold, they sell it below the price level that it costs to produce and make a massive loss, it's the only way that casual gamers can buy reasonably good hardware without being put off by the cost, it's subsidised by the cost of the games.

Rolling hardware updates would either be too expensive for end users if they were sold at a profit by the console developers, or it would be another massive investment to push that hardware out at an attractive price point.

More on console business model.

you must really have no idea how business works. you think MS and sony want people doing upgrades them self, you know how much money that would cost them if people upgraded their PS3 instead of buying the PS4? Yes, specific consoles do die, thats what companies want, they want hardware to become old so people buy the next one up. mouse and keyboards are not technical, the elements behind a keyboard and mouse are pretty basic. but they are precise, although I prefer some games on a controller, I really dont like playing sports games or GTA with a kb/m.

Nintendo 64 had you upgrade why not? 5 years is too long, especially in a time when Ipads are catching up to console graphics.

This is so obvious, EVERYTHING is designed to become obsolete. That's how every business works. It's not just consoles and hardware, it's everything. Business 101.

This is so obvious, EVERYTHING is designed to become obsolete. That's how every business works. It's not just consoles and hardware, it's everything. Business 101.

Exactly, I read an interview where automakers said they could easily design and build a new car to last 10 years and 150,000 miles easily. But then they wouldn't sell a new model every year, and have much less business.

Same with the Military Industrial Complex, they didn't make the new F-22 Raptor because it was a cool jet fighter, they show it off to Congress as the new car model, and the old one is outdated, and then create BS wars like Iraq to justify the sale and production of new military equipment, even though we don't need it at all. The M.I.C. is one of the biggest lobbyists, and they need a new war every decade to pawn off new equipment to sell.

Just like there is an earthquake every time the Space Shuttle is up :eek: coincidence ? I think not. Weather Wars are real :eek: oops, sorry that is a topic for another thread.

Yeah I hated how BC2 looked a ton a better on PC and ran great, total console port trash.
I'm fairly sure no one at DICE ever played the SP campaign on a PC. While they do put forth a pretty damn good effort on the PC, it isn't all roses.

Propaganda designed to sell more copies.

People so quick to call propaganda. Sure, it could well be, but at the moment that is just speculation. The proof will be in the pudding when the game is released. I guess a healthy amount of cynicism is warranted given the recent track record of multi-platform titles. Personally, I will reserve judgement until I see the game myself and decide on its own merits.

Back