Interstellar Marines? O.o

Okay, that actually looks pretty cool. They've definitely got my attention.

Cool, I didn't know this was still in development. Release was pushed back afew times then dropped of the lists.

I've been keeping loose tabs on it for a while now, mostly because of the way it's being developed rather than for the game it's self (I may have actually heard about it here on [H]ard originally now that I think about it). Kotaku did a quick write up on what I mean a couple weeks back. It's got the makings of a solid game though, indie developer or not... so they'll probably be seeing some of my money soon lol.

ok i'm insanely interested in that game.. thinking hard about pre-ordering the game right now which is something i never do.

This game was announced in something like 2005 for the PS3. Then it was announced for the 360 .. then it fell off the radar and this is the first I've heard about it since then. Its been atleast 5 years since I've even heard its name.

Meh

I've been keeping track of this game for years now. I'm very excited about this game. The single player looks phenomenal.

I played through the "Running Man" level available on the website...it's not bad, the gun you're given sounds good. Definitely still a work-in-progress, though.

The setting and concept definitely have me interested. The graphics definitely show that it's been in development for a while. It looked a lot like FEAR, which isn't bad, but a tad dated. Looks like something I can support though.

I'm interested but lets say I pre order and the game never comes out. Do I get a refund? Our am I sol?

That's fraud.... you should defintiely get a refund, unless they are some shady backwoods game developer... don't risk it.

This looks like a hoax for me. Especially preoder which let us full access to 'slices', which are like crippled version of the soon-to-be demo.

And yet they are focusing only on developing further slices, there's no ETA on the full game at all.

This looks like a hoax for me. Especially preoder which let us full access to 'slices', which are like crippled version of the soon-to-be demo.

And yet they are focusing only on developing further slices, there's no ETA on the full game at all.

It's an Indie developer. What do you expect? They'll keep developing as they get funds to do so. They don't have the backing of a big publisher, so they're not going to have stable funding to be able to provide an ETA on much of anything.

They make it pretty clear what you're getting for making a pre-order purchase. Sure, it's definitely a leap of faith, but looks like it could be a pretty kickass game if they get sufficient support.

I dunno, after watching their youtube video.... the game looks AWESOME.

In the video it says the community gets to play alpha versions of portions of the game, to help develop the game with actual gamers. It's an independent game company, very rare and very unique company here for sure... I hope they do well, it looks VERY promising.

Ya I hope they do well also and ya it looks good, but I have to be honest, I'm not getting warm fuzzy feelings about risking my own money. I'm not gonna give them a full pre order up front with no assurances that I either get a full real game or a full refund if no game, somewhere down the road.

For anyone who says well they are an indie dev what do you expect? I say to that if the games so good then a publisher should scoop them up immediately. If not then why? Because they wanna stay independant and not have a boos on their ass? Ok sounds good but without a piblisher it's much harder to make any money let alone finish the dam game so it's a double edged sword. One in which most devs decide isn't worth the risk much anymore. It's the reality of life you need money to live and to continue doing what you love. In this case game devlopment.

Looks good but I'm not chancing it until I see some concrete info leading me to believe the real game will come out for sure. I know chicken and the egg...heh not my problem. I have my own .:)

That's fraud.... you should defintiely get a refund, unless they are some shady backwoods game developer... don't risk it.
It's not fraud; they state as much on the preorder screen. And I doubt they're going to can it before they've spent every last cent... Where do you expect your refund to come from?

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a hoax. But given how limited their resources are, they do seem to be sinking a disproportionate amount of money into promotional materials...

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a hoax. But given how limited their resources are, they do seem to be sinking a disproportionate amount of money into promotional materials...

They are basically a no-name to everyone at this point, unlike a major studio. Without heavy promotion they won't get anywhere for sure. Even major games fail without promotion, we've already got a trailer for Mass Effect 3 when it was still a year off and already had two successful releases! Besides, most of the promotion I've seen is done online, and is things like getting better access to the devs and special ranks on the forum. In other words, they are sunk costs or no costs to them. If they spent their money hiring an A-list actor to tour the world promoting their game, then I'd agree with you about disproportionate spending.

Cool game, I played through all the previews. Terrible business model they have running though. With the progress they have, it wouldn't be much of a challenge to find a publisher or at the very least some financing. Seem they want to stay the way they are. Though, they are running a business and should be treated as such. If they really wanted help; make it open source.

This pretty slick, something about that engine reminds me of the original FEAR MP. Which was fucking awesome.

They had a good voice for video presentation.

However he kept saying "an experience like never before" and "most immersed you've been in a game" and "what stands out from the rest of the other FPS". Yet all I saw was a standard shooter...

Did I miss something? :confused:

They had a good voice for video presentation.

However he kept saying "an experience like never before" and "most immersed you've been in a game" and "what stands out from the rest of the other FPS". Yet all I saw was a standard shooter...

Did I miss something? :confused:

Never heard a sales pitch before :) ? Never had a Chevy dealership try to tell you why their cars are better than Fords? Hell, I've had a Mercury dealer try to tell me how a Cougar was a better car than a Ford Thunderbird... and this was back when, aside from a slightly different body mold, they were the exact same car. That's what salesmen do. They sell.

There's probably not going to be anything revolutionary about this game in terms of game play (which doesn't mean it will be bad by any stretch of the imagination), but they can't really come out and say "You've seen this feature in Crysis, and this one in Halo! If you buy this game, you'll be in for the same basic game play experience that you've had in nearly every First Person Shooter made in the last 10 years! The story and setting should be pretty cool though..." That wouldn't exactly sell you on the game as well as claims of being revolutionary and different.

All that said, this has the makings of a very solid shooter. It looks interesting enough to have held my attention for quite a while at least... but I doubt there is going to be much about it game play or mechanics wise that is revolutionary. Of course, a game doesn't have to be "game changing" to be good.

There's probably not going to be anything revolutionary about this game in terms of game play (which doesn't mean it will be bad by any stretch of the imagination), but they can't really come out and say "You've seen this feature in Crysis, and this one in Halo! If you buy this game, you'll be in for the same basic game play experience that you've had in nearly every First Person Shooter made in the last 10 years! The story and setting should be pretty cool though..." That wouldn't exactly sell you on the game as well as claims of being revolutionary and different.

I understand that, but none of it was demonstrated. A sales pitch doesn't mean jack shit if none of it is demonstrated.

I understand that, but none of it was demonstrated. A sales pitch doesn't mean jack shit if none of it is demonstrated.

I think you may have missed my point. There probably isn't anything revolutionary. It's probably not more immersive. They are just using those buzz words to get people excited. How can they demo something that doesn't exist, or at the very least is a relative term? Like I said, it's a sales pitch, and that's how they work. That Chevy isn't any better than the Ford, but they have to make it sound like it is. That's how they sell more cars. Selling a game works the same way. They have to make it sound exciting and interesting, and coming out and saying that it's going to be a fairly standard FPS game with maybe a few unusual features or a more in depth story just doesn't get people excited. They are just jazzing up their product. You could call it lying, but it's more exaggerating for effect. It's more stating an opinion on the game than stating quantifiable facts.

That's just how Sales works. You have to make a product that probably isn't any better than it's competitors (technically speaking of course) SOUND better. You have to SELL the customer on it. Sometimes that means using meaningless buzz words ("revolutionary" for example), and sometimes it means blowing a little smoke up their ass.

That's the hard part about selling games though. The things that truly make an enjoyable gaming experience aren't really something that can be quantified or demonstrated in an advertisement. They are more intangible. You really have to play the game to see whether or not it's good. Just watching a trailer or an ad isn't going to do it. Sure, you can get a good look at the graphics and some of the mechanics, but until you really take control of that character and experience the story or compete against other people in the multiplayer, you really can't tell whether or not a game is truly good. But, they still need to sell you on it none the less.

And since they really can't prove it's a good game, they have to use other means. Sometimes that means calling the game "revolutionary", and sometimes that means producing videos where a mans rectum is blown to pieces... but it all amounts to the same thing.

they do have demo's, play the free preview download things. sure its not a download of the full game but at least gives you an idea what the games going to be like.

i ended up pre-ordering it. rather support an indie game developer then give more money to activision or EA if i don't have to.. and really 39 bucks means nothing to me so if the game comes out, great. if it doesn't come out then oh well.

did anyone else get the email about their "shares for support medals"?
Trading shares in the company for support medals.
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/articles/news/uncle-gerts-shares-for-support-medals-giveaway/

Basically once you reach 20 support medals, each set of 10 afterwards gets you 10 shares of the company. So doing the math, $150 (calculating that you currently own no medals) gets you 10 shares in the company.

Idea seems nice.... but how does that work? They arent publicly traded now, so if they do take off, how do you sell them or cash out? Im not too sure how stocks work to begin with, but being an overseas company, it doesnt seem like it would work out if in America

Those are fairly pricey shares... $15 each. Sounds like the guy selling them found a good way to get money for his shares ;)

If I had the money right now I would preorder it and give them my support. I am not one to like paying for an unfinished product but I also think the game has potential to be very good.

so what is the big deal about this game? after watching vid, not really seeing what separates it from the field. Genuinely asking.

so what is the big deal about this game? after watching vid, not really seeing what separates it from the field. Genuinely asking.

What separates it for me is that the developer seems passionate, is reaching out to the community, is actually let you play bits of the game on their site, isn't charging $60. Gameplay wise I don`t think it will reinvent the wheel but then neither did COD MW2 or Black Ops and they sold gangbusters.

I can certainly appreciate their focus on character development within a CO-OP environment. Should make for some interesting gameplay.

Now... A game like Republic commando with 4 player CO-OP would be awesome.

I'm in for the 3 player SP co-op alone. Finally someone gets it.:):):)

This got my interested in the unity engine for my own projects, I love the seamless loading in a browser of a 3D game, it's actually tempted me away from the UDK which is of course the lead runner.

Back