Internet works with router but not just modem

Gabe3

2[H]4U
Ok so I'm about to call comcast up to swap my D-link DCM-202 modem for a motorola SB5100 because I want to see if I can get powerboost working. Keep in mind have both these modems next to me and plan to switch them my self. No big deal. So I'm removing my router from the situation and plugging in my d-link directly into my computer before I go swaping modems and for some odd reason the internet just won't come on. it says local area connection "identifying" and I'm using a onboard nvidia nforce networking controller.

Even though I'm going to be using the motorola I still want to know why I can't get internet on the d-link unless I'm using the router. And who knows, maybe the motorola that I have not yet swapped with has the same problem. I tried repairing the connection. no go. I'm using the latest firmware on the router(linksys WRT54G v5)

restart after plugging in. if that doesnt work, type 192.168.1.1 in the adress bar to see if u can acess the modems menu.

i'm getting a "An installed Layered Service Provider (LSP) is outdated" error.

I know some isp's require you to register the device that will be using the connection.. it's setup via mac address. the address of your nic is different than the one on your router. you might want to give them a call and ask.

I'm not sure about that error, but If I recall correctly modems sometimes won't work unless its "forgotten" what it was last connected to. Try leaving the modem unplugged for at least 5 minutes and give it another go.

The mac address is only for the modem I think. That error that I mentioned has to do with software messing up stuff. I think maybe comodo personal firewall that I installed a week ago may have screwed things up but I have no way to prove it. I uninstalled it after using it for a day. I just did a system restore to the day before I installed it and the modem still wont work on its own. I guess I better hope I don't have to get a new router or modem any time soon. I don't know which would fix the problem, a reformat or a new NIC?

Back